“Disappointing”

The Mimslyn Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Luray
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

While choices of lodging in Luray may be scarce, we probably should have looked further. We stayed in a king historic room which was clean but the bed took up 90% of the room. If we had two suitcases, we would have had to leave one in the hallway. The bathroom was tiny with not even a place to put down an overnight bag. The walls are paper thin; we could hear the people in the next room talking and they weren't shouting. The continental breakfast they offered was a plate of small muffins, weak coffee and a practically empty urn of orange juice.

We had booked the rooms with a Groupon. Upon checking out, we saw that they had added an additional charge for an upgrade to the king room. When we questioned this, the desk person said that the Groupon was only for a queen room. After showing her the Groupon voucher which did not specify that it was only for queen historic room and saying they had not explained that when we called to make the reservation or when we checked in and a little back and forth, the additional charge was removed but with "attitude." Unnecessary.

Overall, a disappointing experience.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Slukaske

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is a wonderful old hotel with great service. I rated it a little low only because the bed was a bit hard, and I like mine a little softer. Other than that, the food in the restaurant was excellent, and the staff was wonderful to deal with. We took a walk the next day into town, and walked the Greenway. It's a wonderful place for either a leisurely stroll or a brisk walk and only a block from the hotel. Don't hesitate to stay at this wonderful place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My Fiance and I recently stayed at the Mimslyn Inn for our 3 year anniversary. It was a one night stay, but it was by far the best experience I have ever had at a hotel. The hotel itself was very elegant. Walking through the front doors left me feeling like I was walking into a luxury hotel, and that feeling didn't leave the whole time I was there. The check-in went great and the staff was very friendly. I can't remember the name of the woman who helped me, but she was very nice, especially considering I was pretty disorganized when it came to the check-in process. Our room was sizable and very cozy. I expected the room to be a bit bigger, but I was not disappointed because we were rewarded with a large bathroom. It was very easy to move around in and made it much more pleasant to shower and get ready for bed/get ready to check out. Even better, there were his and hers sinks so that my fiancé and I did not have to shuffle around each other while brushing our teeth. The robes that came with the room were nice and there were a significant number of glasses in the room to use for water or anything else. The room was a little chilly, which I enjoyed. The bed was very comfortable and warm. The chill in the air and the warmth of the bed gave me a great night's sleep, maybe one of the best I've had. The fire place provided a good warming effect for the room, and there were plenty of blankets as well. We had the rose petal turn down service with chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. I'm not really sure how the prices came down since the bill didn't spell out the cost of the strawberries or champagne, but the based on the cost of the service, I would guess that prices are pretty comparable.

As for the food, it may have been one of the best meals I've eaten. Dinner was a flat rate and came with four courses. The cost was a bargain considering the amount and quality of the food provided. We did not take advantage of having the Ceasar Salad made table side, though I wish we had. Circa '31 provided amazing crab cakes and they're one of the few restaurants to provide a roast duck entrée that is more than a few cuts of roast duck. The chef knows how to handle the duck and I would highly recommend it. The servers were very friendly and the woman who cooked the cherries jubilee for our table was funny and brave. The only issue I had with the dining experience was that the menu did not come with a list of beer or liquor that was available. This isn't too important since the servers were quick to check on what was available for us and the selection was decent. Brunch was equally good and very reasonably priced.

The location is a bit remote, though I also enjoyed this. Going to hotels with a lot to do in the area always leaves me feeling like I have to run to do things. Having less to do in the area was nice because I actually had the ability to relax, take in the mountain air and the view, and enjoy a peaceful weekend. Having less to do in the area also meant that it was much quieter than resorts in more active areas. While the caverns were a fun experience, and the zoo was nearby, I think the town right next to the Inn was probably the best place to spend time if you wanted to get out. There was a great independent bookstore with a friendly owner and books that were priced at a significant bargain. The coffee shop and art shops in the area were also pretty great. Personally, I could spend a week here without any complaints. Between the mountain hikes, the friendly shops, and comfort of the Mimslyn Inn, it would be a perfect relaxing vacation. My only regret with the Inn was that my stay was so short.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andy M
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The good news about the Mimslynn in is:
- great location
- even better matresses
- lots of character

The reasons why you should look further:
- the historic room is super small
- the service is erratic, either by lack of guests or experience
- the food is just average
- it doesn't live up to its pretentions of being upmarket and classical, too many flaws
- if you're on a groupon deal, make sure to book the accom only, the 4 course menu is not worth it.
- if you don't book with any discount, look further, there are many better places out there.

Room Tip: If you book histric room, be sure to bring small suitcases!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank suzanenbas
Czech Republic
Reviewed April 1, 2014

What a lovely place! The hotel itself is extremely grand and makes you feel like you're in the 1920s. While it would be great if it was tucked away somewhere, the Luray location is excellent - close proximity to vineyards, Shenandoah National Park and the fantastic Copper Fox Distillery. The service was absolutely superb. The food (we got the four course Whiskey Appreciation Dinner) was fantastic. All-in-all, even though I could not afford it regularly, it was a total treat (thanks Livingsocial!) and I highly recommend checking it out.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hague, Virginia
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed at The Mimslyn Inn March 28-30, 2014. I was there to attend the Spring 4 H Conference. Check in was easy & the desk staff was very polite. The room was very nicely decorated. The beds were very comfortable. While there for the conference our meals were included with our stay and everything was delicious. I would highly reccomend this hotel and hope to plan a trip there with my family this summer. The hotel is beautiful and the service was great!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Wye Mills, Maryland
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Beautiful historical hotel with great accommodations. The staff is very accommodating, rooms are impeccable and the location is near to all the attractions for our weekend away. Highly recommend as this is definitely the best hotel in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ron8888
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
Hotel Laurance
#4 of 9 in Luray
Days Inn Luray Shenandoah
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley

Been to The Mimslyn Inn? Share your experiences!