The Mimslyn Inn
  • Restaurant
$55
Priceline
Very Good 4/5
No availability for your dates from our partners
Good 3.5/5
    1,033 results
    All reviewsspeakeasy restaurantfront porchhistoric hotelthird floorblue ridge suitepool and hot tublobby barspeak easysouthern charmcorner roommy husband and iskyline drivethe cottagessmall townshenandoah valleyrocking chairsking bed
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed for two nights as a stop off point along the Skyline Drive as we wanted to visit the Luray Caverns and go rafting. The rooms can't be faulted for comfort, facilities and cleanliness. The pool is also a plus on what were very hot days. We ate in the Speakeasy on one night and then the terrace the next. The food was good if not anything special. There was a jazz band playing in the Speakeasy who were excellent and deserved a bigger audience (the restaurant was very quiet that night). So, why only 3 stars? Firstly, the staff were polite but not particularly welcoming and gave the sense that we were a nuisance to be tolerated. When the lobby bar ran out of a particular drink they did not offer to get it for us from the other bar...we had to troop down for that ourselves. At dinner, we felt that they would have preferred for us to eat and drink up quickly so that the bar could be closed early and they could go home. I can understand why they want to have a quiet policy after 10 pm for the comfort of other guests but being presented with a list of rules and threats of eviction on arrival is not welcoming...and frankly neither we nor our fellow guests were likely to want to party on into the small hours! And if I hear that Frank Sinatra cd again I'll scream!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
    5  Thank alyth
    Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed one night in this stylish inn,the room was comfortable and the bathroom immense.We used their outdoor pool in late afternoon which was a bonus to cool off from the humid temperatures.We ate in their speakeasy dinner bar,the food was not the best,with a limited menu to choose from.They had a offer on their wine which was a bargain so that somewhat compensated for the main courses.There was a splendid two piece group playing which enhanced the atmosphere of the bar,when they stopped their set early most people left.Breakfast was orange juice,coffee and cakes,for the price we paid I was expecting more.A reasonable place to stay but overpriced.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
    1  Thank Con B
    Reviewed July 21, 2013

Took my husband here for his birthday this weekend. The hotel and the staff more than came up to expectation. We had a Blue Ridge room which was very comfortable with a nice sitting area. The bed linens were superb. Jetted tub was nice touch.
    We had wine tasting in the Speakeasy on Friday evening and the bar maid was informative and friendly. We had an excellent meal and the waitress was attentive but not overly so. She helped us with the wine. My husband was going to order a glass and then she told us that the bottle of red was on special and if we didn;'t finish it we could take it to our room - we did.
    Breakfast was included both mornings and if you didn't want a full breakfast then juice, coffee or tea, and muffins were available on complimentary basis in the bar area.
    We had the wine dinner last night and I have never had such tasty Mahi Mahi. Each course was paired with an appropriate wine and we were given the history of each type.
    At lunch time today we had their Seafood Brunch. Lots to choose from and the only disappointment all weekend was the chowder - can hardly really complain about that.
    We took the Wine Tour yesterday which included a packed lunch. I think there had been a misunderstanding on my part as some of the items were not included but the sandwiches were more than enough with things served at the wineries.
    We have always been to their sister property The Bavarian Inn in W.VA but will be more than tempted to return here in the future.
    We had an inclusive package which I thought was excellent value.

Room Tip: I understand their Historic Rooms are much more compact and you need to know there might not be even a chair in the room. The Blue Ridge Suite was worth the difference on this occasion. The rooms on the side of the hotel near the building of the hospital could be noisy but not when we were there.
    • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed July 21, 2013

I often drive from Arlington VA through the Shenandoah Mountains to destinations near I-81 for breakfast. I stop at The Mimslyn for breakfast on occasion. I appreciate the old southern charm of the place. The dining room looks especially charming, but breakfast fare is rather pedestrian. Breakfast food at Cracker Barrel is higher quality, but The Mimslyn has the ambiance I seek on road trips. Despite the elegant surroundings, restaurant staff do not seem to be particularly well-trained. I don't order buffet, but a la carte. Still, some parts of my order obviously come from the buffet table, prompting me to send it back for something fresh. (Duh? I avoid the buffet for a reason.) On my most recent visit, I was served cold, dried out breakfast potatoes from the buffet. Cold bacon also came from the buffet. Inexcusable. I will return because of the relaxed ambiance.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
    2  Thank Ty C
    Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Mimslyn Inn was a nice place to stay but could have been better. The above average price for the room and the advertizing online make it seem like an old southern mansion. It does not live up to the antique charm it promises. Much of the furnishings are reproductions. While the room is furnished with quality soaps, emery boards, and a jacuzzi tub, the design of the room could be better. The fireplace is an electric separate item plugged in behind the mantel, diminishing the high ceilings, large windows, and kind size bed. The best part of this inn was the quiet hours that are posted and enforced throughout the hotel. The Speakeasy bar and restaurant are in the basement and does not disturb the rooms. The bed was comfortable and the room very clean. There was a cleaned up stain in the middle of the carpet, blemishing an otherwise spotless room. It is too bad that the furnishings were not real antiques as I would have expected. The front porch was a nice touch to the inn. It was inviting and allowed guest to rock or glide to the drumming of cicadas and fireflies. We had dinner at CIrc 31 and was pleasantly surprised with a 5 course meal. The service was good and the staff friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family