“Wonderful honeymoon spot!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Mimslyn Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Luray
“Wonderful honeymoon spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here two nights using a recent groupon deal. The inn is gorgeous and reminded me of a beautiful southern plantation house. The grounds are also lovely and could be a nice setting for a small wedding as they have beautiful flower beds, statues and a small pavilion out back. The room was small but since it was listed as a 'historic' room that was expected; it was cute and cozy. The staff was great and the Groupon included Luray Caverns are a must see!! Also the Skyline Drive is close by. We will definitely stay again!

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

The front porch at The Mimslyn Inn looks out over the quaint town of Luray onto the Blue Ridge Mountains. The setting is spectacular and is made even better by comfortable hotel rooms and the gracious hotel staff. Everyone, from Aaron, the doorman, to the desk clerks, wait staff and chef, was dedicated to making my stay comfortable and enjoyable. The bedrooms are charming and comfortable, mine had a fire place and comfortable setting area along with a grand kind size bed. Dinner was exceptional -- served in the historic dining room and complete with wine parings! The hotel's large welcoming common spaces including the front lobby, complete with a roaring fire, and the 3rd floor garden room and outdoor patio make this an ideal spot for large groups or families to gather.

Room Tip: Each room at The Mimslyn Inn is unique and filled with historic charm. Rooms on the front over look...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

It was our anniversary. The grounds were beautiful. We walked in and asked for a room no reservation. The staff was super friendly. We would have dined in the Circa 31' but did not have the proper attire so we opted for the speakeasy, the food was great. Our room was cozy and private. It was a perfect way to spend an anniversary. We will be going back for a three day stay in Jan 2013 for my birthday! There is a lot to do around town: caverns, wine tours, trails, skyline drive, Shenandoah River.

My husband and I would reccomend this to any couple that wants to get away.

• Stayed September 2012
Severna Park, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was a great example of how a historic hotel can still be very comfortable. The bed was great, the internet worked well, everything was spotless, and the amenities in the bathroom were much more than I could have asked for. Great hotel for a great price! I had dinner on the front porch - this was a nice touch. I didn't eat a full breakfast in the dining room, but did take advantage of the muffins and juice available in the lobby. I had too much work to do to take time out for breakfast.

The only reason I didn't give this a five is because the room was very small and it had no desk. Working in bed makes it hard for me to stay awake. But everything else was great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

What a grand place to stay in the Luray area! The hotel is gorgeous and the restaurant is great. The staff is gracious and accommodating. A great place for couples, if you are going for a girl's weekend, you will want to get individual rooms as the hotel doesn't have any rooms with double beds. In our room, at least, the bed was a double. I was with my sister and they brought in a cot for me. I plan to return to the Mimslyn and look forward to having my own room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I visited the Mimslyn Inn in early August just before he deployed to Afghanistan for a year. I found out about it from a Groupon deal and actually purchased the package on the last day it was offerred. It included two passes to the Luray Caverns. Due to our schedule, we easily booked two weeknights in one of their Blue Ridge Suites. We took along our 16 year old and 8 year old daughters, too. The suite was beautiful! We happened to be there during the Olympics and we'd retire back to our comfortable room to watch in the evenings. We had a king-size bed that was SUPER comfortable. Our daughters shared the pull-out sofa (which was better just as a sofa and not so comfortable..). The room was neat and clean, and came complete with some nice bath toiletries, robes for us to borrow, and a bottle of local wine with Mimslyn glasses, available to purchase. We did and it was good..got to keep the glasses, too. We had a gas fireplace in the room, but didn't use it since it was August. There was a large jetted bathtub that our 8 year old particularly enjoyed, while scrubbing with the loofah they'd provided us. As for the staff, they were wonderful! Everyone was friendly and pleasant. We enjoyed two dinners in the downstairs Speakeasy and enjoyed talking to the bartender, who even (after he asked our permission) told our daughters about the "ghosts" at the Inn (friendly, of course). On the last night, our youngest rounded up the rest of us and had us trek through the hallways, hoping to catch a glimpse. At the Speakeasy, the food was great-particularly the buffalo wings (but they don't have them every night). We had two full breakfasts in the very elegant dining room-great service, lovely atmosphere, wonderful grits, and a small pot of hot chocolate that our youngest loved to pour herself. Since it was during the week, the dininig room was not open for dinner. Our daughters enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi, while my husband and I had a drink at the lobby bar. It was not a busy time, but that just meant great attention from the staff to us. Also, they impose a quiet policy at night, so we never had to worry about loud guests waking us up. This Inn is the perfect destination for a weekend getaway. The Luray Caverns were close by, as was the Shenandoah National Forest. We actually just enjoyed coming back to the hotel, though. It was nice to have everything right there in the hotel and was a beautiful setting to just hang out in. When we left, we were given a "coupon" to come back in January or February for a two night deal. My husband has since deployed, but comes home in the middle of January for 15 days of R & R. Guess where we've booked to go back for a weekend?! We know it will be cold and the National Forest won't be open, but we will be content to just enjoy the Inn for a laid back weekend with our girls. This time, we will stay in a Skyline Suite (supposedly slightly larger-two rooms, I think) and we are looking forward to trying out the formal dining room since we will be there over the weekend. Of course, we will go back to the Speakeasy, too....and hope it is "Wing Night"!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Poughkeepsie, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My daughter and I recently stayed overnight at the Mimslyn Inn. We each stayed in the modest sized historic room and it was perfect for us. My room was located on the second floor and I had a beautiful view of the Shenandoah National Park . We enjoyed the breath taking view of the park as we dined on the front porch of the inn. Our dinner experience was wonderful. The inn is located in walking distance from historic downtown Luray, so after dinner, we took an evening stroll on a walking trail in the town. We had the continental breakfast on the morning of our departure. It included muffins. coffee, tea and orange juice. We had the spiced pumpkin muffins. They were warm and delicious. Again, we sat on the front porch and it was just the perfect place to begin our morning. The staff was very friendly and helpful and shared with us the many signature packages they have throughout the year. We spent our last few hours in Luray at the Luray Caverns. It is located in close proximity to the inn. I look forward to future visits with my family to this most impressive inn. We both had an awesome time. A special thank you to the staff for making this a most memorable trip for my daughter and I.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
Hotel Laurance
The Cardinal Inn
#4 of 9 in Luray
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley

Been to The Mimslyn Inn? Share your experiences!