“I want a refund.”

Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo
Ranked #6 of 31 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Owner description: Luray zoo does not maintain this sight this is a third party sight for accurate information on hours etc see website
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We drove an hour and a half to go here, and I was sorely disappointed. It was $25 for 2 adults and 1 child, so I wasn't expecting a lot but this was utterly ridiculous, the zoo took 10 minutes to completely see everything. A majority of the few animals they had were not even visible. I have never written a review in my life but I was so devastated by my waste of time and money that I didn't want anyone to feel this way.

6  Thank Nikkibaby2002
"reptile house"
"porta potties"
"feed the animals"

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I had to keep reminding myself that this is a rescue zoo and not your usual better funded zoo. Admission was only $5 each that day - a half price day - and we made a donation when we left because $5 seemed an inadequate contribution to the zoo's expenses. It had been raining, and the path was muddy. Star the tiger paced in her cage, and she kept splashing through mud and puddles. I wished for her to have a drier path. Kudos to the zoo owner for what he is trying to do.

1  Thank LauraAHA
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This truly is a rescue zoo. It was so interesting to read the "life stories" of the different animals. The owner walked the grounds and interacted with visitors and animals. We appreciated that the admission was good all day. We left for lunch and then returned for the monkey feeding and talk. You can tell that the owner and employees really care about their animals.

1  Thank laurad1981
Reviewed May 10, 2014

... Or a porcupine for that matter. Do yourself (and the animals) a favor and pay a little extra for the "Dicovery Tour". If Mark is available, see if he can give you the tour. Mark is the zoo owner and has a very personal relationship with all of the animals. I have never in my life met someone with so much passion for what they do. He was extremely knowledgable, and quite funny, throwing in left wing political humor at every turn. Our tour started at 5pm, when the zoo closes, so it was literally just my girlfriend and I in the zoo. The tour is supposed to last an hour, but ours was a welcome hour and 45. As well as learning where the species comes from, we got to learn where that specific animal came from. I learned more here than any other zoo I have visited, and Mark was very good at making the experience both informative and entertaining. There are a few hands on expereinces we got with our discovery tour. First, we pet a Tiger, which was Awesome! Then there was a petting zoo area with goats, donkeys, and a deer. Never thought I'd pet a live deer either. Then there was the porcupine, who loves to give kisses. It was adorable. Mark gave us a few of the quills (which i didnt know they shed). Overall, it was a wonderful experience and we will definately be back.

9  Thank JustinandAlexis
See more reviews
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

We visited with our 18 mo old son today on the way home back to maryland. We didn't know what to expect. I was thinking it would be like the national zoo in dc where the animals are in their habitats and don't interact. Boy was I wrong!

We skipped the reptiles since I'm afraid snakes and lizards and went straight outside. We were greeted by the beautiful sounds of birds. My son's ears perked up immediately as he loves the sounds of birds. We walked around the entire zoo first to see what's around and spent some time with the sheep. My son started singing baa baa black sheep when be realized he is hanging out with the sheep. Lovely!! By the time we came
back around, Star the Tiger was out. She was extremely gentle and didn't growl as my son kept trying to say hi to her.

We went back to the monkey exhibits and spent the majority of our time there. They were awesome putting on a show and interacting with each other and the families. My son absolutely had a blast. I think we were done in about an hour. It would have been shorter if son wasn't so involved with trying to talk to the animals.

The zoo is really different. Not like the other zoos where animals are scarce or not interactive. The stories of how they got to the zoo are also amazing. They give it a little personal touch.

I think the owners are renovating and adding or enhancing exhibits. We will definitely stop by next time we are in the area.

As other reviewers stated - only port a potties on site. Be sure to use the restroom before you go there and wear comfy shoes.

4  Thank Travelgul