“One of the best”

Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo
Ranked #8 of 30 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Owner description: Luray zoo does not maintain this sight this is a third party sight for accurate information on hours etc see website
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I love zoos and this is one of the best because you were able to get up close to the animals. I have never been able to feed a giraffe before with nothing but a chain link fence between us. Definitely purchase the big bag of feed for the animals! The babies are adorable and plentiful.

1  Thank Stacy T

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stopped by here on a trip to Luray Caverns. The smell in the gift shop and reptile section was a little rough. Dont know if this is normal for reptiles or not. There are alot of snakes. The zoo is small but we were there about a hour and could have stayed longer but it started to downpour. We did ask alot of questions and talked alot to the employees and owners and they didnt mind and we were not in a hurry. We did the petting zoo and fed the animals in this area. Feeding is extra but you can resist. These people are super nice and we had a great time and I cant imagine doing what they do with just admission, donations and gift shop sales but all the animals looked healthy and happy. If you are in the area I would reccomend checking this place out.

1  Thank Monzsterman
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Luray Zoo is small but considering it is a rescue zoo it was a wonderful experience. There mission is worth your support. It won't take you long to visit all the animals but know that your money goes to the upkeep of this zoo since they don't receive any support.

1  Thank Nancy C
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Hats off to the owners! Lots of snakes! Yes it's small but so worth your time and money, because you know your money is going to a good cause! We loved it!!!

1  Thank kelicheers
Reviewed August 12, 2012

OK i knew going in it was a small zoo but I couldnt have fathomed how small..you could literally cover this entire zoo in 5 minutes..The only way i can make myself feel good about dropping $50 here is that they are rescue animals and they looked well fed...outside of that and the sign saying "trespassers will be eaten" there is nothing to like about this zoo...there are a lit of snakes in what appears to be a used department store aquarium display and the tanks are filthy...the outside part is all crammed together in a small area and the animals cages are tiny...it is shaded but there is no wind no open air and on a 90 degree day the smell is horrible.I could easily see a scenerio where animals escape as the pens are shoddy...and I totally would not blame them from wanting to escape that hellhole.....SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

4  Thank Eric H