“Wonderful Experience!!!”

Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo
Ranked #8 of 30 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Owner description: Luray zoo does not maintain this sight this is a third party sight for accurate information on hours etc see website
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Mark and his wife and crew have done an excellent job putting this place together, and rescuing some animals that no one else could rescue; alligators and monkeys and bobcats and turtles...plus many more...you will see some very different creatures here, and have a great tour. Please be generous with your donations!

Lurayrescuezoo, Owner at Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit! We really appreciate the poitive feedback. Hope to see you agian in the future!

Thanks
Mark&Christine Kilby Owners of Luray Zoo

Reviewed November 22, 2011

Rainy day visit and we got a personal tour of the zoo. Very knowledgeable staff and wonderful animals. Will be returning again and again.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

Great place to stop . The kids love the petting zoo!l

Reviewed October 23, 2011

I love animals and I appreciate this place. It is the first time I have seen kookaburra up close; or have pet a kangaroo. I am not into reptiles but the exhibit seemed interesting for someone who is. I loved the petting zoo and the friendly goats and yaks. I DO wish the employees were a bit sunnier. It is not that they were impolite or unpleasant; there was just a gloominess that my have been part of the overcast day. There was a place to wash your hands but no towels, not the best for a windy cool day. The employee said they do not provide towels because kids throw them on the ground. She left us to find the hand sanitizer ourselves. If they worked for me I would say smile, be cheery, be helpful, and rake up those leaves! BTW there is a beautiful tiger on display and quite a few unusual owls and other birds; plus a few monkeys. I am glad I stopped, but if you do not have kids and do not like reptiles, your stop will be a short one.

2  Thank THELUCKYCAT
LurayZoo, Owner at Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2011

Here at Luray Zoo we rake our leaves up on a daily bases, during the fall it is hard to keep up when them. As for the paper towels you spoke to me Christine the owner of Luray Zoo. I do not have paper towels because kids do throw them on the ground or toss them into animal cages. I always help a customer, if they need hand sanitizer it is located right on top of the gift shop cash register counter were I always point out to all customers. As for not being sunny I have had the flu so I apologize for being gloomy. Also my husband Mark and I do care for over 250 animals with minimum staff during the off season, so we apologize for not being very sunny sometimes, our day starts at 5 am and ends around midnight so I apologize that you toured on a day with no employees and that we could not have made your trip better.

Christine Kilby owner

Reviewed September 29, 2011

We visited Luray Rescue Zoo on a rainy Friday in September. There were no other visitors at the same time which meant our visit was personalized. While we were admiring the amount of snakes they have on hand, the owner came in and started talking about where he got the snakes and other really interesting information on them. Then we went outside to see the animals and they have quite a collection of exotic birds, especially for the size, and other animals as well. The highlight was when we were near the wallabys and another employee mentioned that we could feed and pet them....I never would of thought you could pet a wallaby....great fun!! This is a rescue zoo, so all the animals there have a story on how they got there displayed on the front of their exhibit, without a place like this, many of these animals would have simply been put to sleep....excellent zoo! Highly recommend for anyone that loves animals as we do!

1  Thank Danielle B