“Family friendly”

Gathering Grounds
Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Luray
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Now open at our new location!! We offer a unique dining experience: serving breakfast, gourmet sandwiches, soups and salads with a full-service espresso bar, homemade pastries and pies in a relaxing atmosphere. Wine and beer - on and off. Open 7 days a week.
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Family friendly”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This is a real family style and friendly restaurant. Food to accommodate any palate. The best German Chocolate pie. You need to see and eat it to understand.

Visited July 2014

Wilmington, NC
“Great staff...but owners are lazy...”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I was at GG one evening, and the place was slammed. I was attempting to get a coffee, and the place was in the "weeds"....it took almost 20 minutes to be served a single coffee.. However, sitting down relaxing and having a nice meal (in the middle of the action) were a nice looking middle aged couple....they were dressed like they came from the kitchen. So, I inquired to a fellow local patron if the couple worked at GG, and she told me they were the owners, and they only cook and don't do anything else..she said she didn't even know if they knew how to operate the cash register.....say what?! I felt so sorry for the staff, they were running around like a bunch of maniacs, and here the actually owners of the joint are sitting around enjoying a relaxing meal acting totally obvious to the backed up lines, tables in need of busing, and so forth...anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant (like me), knows good proprietors will do ANYTHING to help..from washing dishes, busing tables, cooking..etc. But apparently not these two..terrible. I have to say, this experience really upset me, and I feel very sorry for their hard working staff...sad.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Wmchase65
Elizabeth Leigh B, Owner at Gathering Grounds, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Hi, My name is Elizabeth Butler, and I am the owner of Gathering Grounds. I take pride in building this business from the ground up, and I take pride in this fact.  I had to respond to your comment because not much of what you wrote was true.  I do not know who the patron was, but he/she had it all wrong.  I can tell you that I never sit down and have my meal at the restaurant.  You can ask any employee in the cafe.  Especially when we would have been busy, but that is not the case.  I am a fixture there and do EVERYTHING for my business.  From cleaning, being a barista, busing tables, doing dishes, cleaning up messes, mopping the floors to maintaining the whole kitchen and cooking meals.  Who you saw out front was not me or the co-owner.  Not to mention I programed the whole POS/cash register, and taught the staff how to use it.   You are right, it is sad....sad that someone would say such comments as this.  Anyone who knows us knows we are hands on for everything.  I was just in total shock when I read this because of the untruth.  You are right....it is terrible. I suggest in the future to ask for the owner/manager if you have a question.  I think you would find that you would have gotten a whole different answer.  Please come back and ask for me.  We love what we have created and take great pride!
Baltimore, Maryland
“Good food, great coffee, slightly overpriced”
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Loved the ambiance of the place and their espresso was just right, however while food was very good it was not as yummy as the food at the West Main Street market, so I am giving it a 4 for that reason and comparison on prices. Staff was great-friendly and helpful:)

• Visited July 2014
“Great spot to grab a bite to eat and coffee”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Best soy cappuccino I have ever had and also the best veggie burger! Nice to have a place to eat with healthy options. Great atmosphere!

Visited July 2014
Santa Monica, California
“Lovely cafe, friendly people, delicious dinner”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

The tomato basil soup was fantastic, and the corn and bean salad. The rest of the dinner was very good, but those two were great. The restaurant building is a converted old hardware store, with great decor and very friendly staff who knew a lot about the area and the history of the cafe.

• Visited July 2014

Been to Gathering Grounds? Share your experiences!