“Very Nice, Very Comfortable Place”
Review of The Cardinal Inn

The Cardinal Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Maryland
“Very Nice, Very Comfortable Place”
Reviewed February 15, 2007

Based on the mixed review, we choose this motel during our Christmas holiday and just took a chance. I was not expecting great but it turns out to be very memoriable.

First, they have recently replaced new mattress which is pillow top type and very very comfortable. While talking to the front desk staff, I found that, now they have fridge/microwave in all the room, of course free. They have recently changed TV wiring and TV reception is very nice. In short, they have listened to their customer and improved lot.

They don't have swimming pool for sure, and as per staff, they have reported travel agent website such as expedia several times, and sometime it shows without swimming pool but then again shows as with swimming pool. I think it is travel agent's website sync problem and nothing to do with this motel.

Overall, Fantastic, I love the place. These people are very kind and always willing to go beyond... Sure, Will be back...

Alan and Eileen

• Liked — Comfortable and Roomy, Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — No Restaurant inside motel
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ap_111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Virginia
Reviewed January 23, 2007

Went there for a weekend with my daughter and a friend to visit Luray Caverns. Only stayed 2 nights, wasn't horrible but I knew where I was going and knew it wouldn't be a 5 Star hotel. Wouldn't want to stay there (town or hotel) any longer than I did. What we went for it was great. Room was clean, outdated but fine...

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank akg11670
Jonesborough, Tennessee
Reviewed August 19, 2006

This was by far the most convenient, clean & friendly hotel to stay at in Luray, VA. It was right around the corner to Luray Caverns. It was incredibly roomy and the new owners (of 15 months) were so proud of their new motel, they showed us three other rooms as well as their garden in the back. They let us know that they also had a suite for newlyweds, etc... They were very helpful with any questions we had, including menus in the lobby to different eateries in the area. We chose the wrong one.
Restaurants were right down the road, but I would not recommend going to Uncle Buck's. The food was very bland. I had shrimp scampi with extra garlic. There was absolutely no flavor. My husband had a hamburger. His was OK. If you eat there, stick to the simple foods.
Definately the motel to stay at even if for more than one night. We could comfortably sit in patio chairs outside of the room at night as well.

4 Thank Ellenville
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 20, 2005

Oh Excellent service and cleanest room ever seen. Staff members are very
very friendly and with great interest showed us nearby places to visit. Also
offered us free local area map. One of the staff memeber was even able to
fix my wireless internet problem in my laptop. Will be definitely back here
in next vacation.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Maryland
Reviewed September 15, 2005

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary (5 days). We reserved the "honeymoon suite" with the jacuzzi tub.

We arrived to find a room without a shower (just the tub and a toilet).
The train that came through at about 2 AM was close enough to startle you awake.
The bed was very uncomfortable and the sheets scratchy.
The comp. breakfast was bad coffee and honeybuns.
The cable TV was flicking and had lots of static.

The cost of this suite was steep for what you end up with.
It was a terrible experience and I don't recommend it.

Only good side was the maid did a good job at keeping the room clean.

• Stayed September 2004
10 Thank MBMaryland23

Travelers are raving about these Luray hotels

Greensboro, NC
Reviewed July 13, 2005

Okay, don't get me wrong... I'm not usually a complainer, but when it comes to having my hard earned money ripped off, I get a little upset.

First of all, the expedia website states that they have a pool when in fact, THEY DON'T! Not so fun during the hot days of July. Seond, the "free continental breakfast" was watered down coffee and pre-packaged sticky buns. Not very good. Third, expedia also states that there is a refrigerator and microwave, when if fact, you have to pay 10 bucks extra a night to have them both in a regular room. They are also very tiny, and ours wasn't even in the room when we got there. We had to wait 2 hours while our food melted to get a fridge in the room, then wait another hour for it to be cold enought to put the food in. The cable TV gets extremely fuzzy towards the higher channels, and the beds are very hard and the springs will poke in your back. Oh, and there are train tracks right out back of the hotel. Not loud enought to hear, but we had the windows closed and the AC on.

On the plus side, for being such an older hotel (50's pink decor in our room), the room was very clean, and the linens and towels were changed everyday. We were just hiking the the Shenandoah Park most of the time, so it is nice to be 10 minutes away from the park. When I enquired about the misleading info on the website, I was told I could not get a refund, but I could talk to the hotel owner if I wanted, even though he could not speak much English. So if you want to stay here, its fine for what it is... a place to sleep, but I would upgrade to the suites with the kitchenette if you're staying longer. The photos of the rooms on expedia are photos of the suites, not the regular rooms. BIG difference.

• Stayed July 2005
15 Thank travelerchase00
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 27, 2005

Very cute motel from the outside...lots of potential! Rooms were old which is fine with us, we love unique! But they have added a lot of "home-made" furniture...and plywood and lattice don't make it very homey.

Our mattress was old, too; felt like we slept in a taco.

I wish we had stayed at the Brookside cabins. Oh well, next time!

Stayed May 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Hotel Laurance
#2 of 9 in Luray
Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock

Been to The Cardinal Inn? Share your experiences!