The Cardinal Inn
  • Free Internet
Skyland(Shenandoah National Park)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsfree wificlean hotelfridge and microwavebates motelextra pillowsstay there againvisit luray cavernsthornton gap entranceclose to downtownmain streetking bedskyline driveshort drivethrowbackyardvirginia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 16, 2008

I booked this hotel based on the reviews from this website and regretted it the minute we walked in the door. The only clue I had that the room had been renovated was that the wooden blocks holding the old headboards were still on the walls. A bathroom vanity light served as the main lighting for the room and furniture remained very outdated. Although we did have a microwave and refrigerator in the room, the microwave did not heat anything and the refrigerator had a bad odor. We also had to call the front desk for an alarm clock and batteries for the TV remote.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank VAfamof4
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I just came back from a 5 day 4 night stay in Luray, Va. If you are in the mood for a SIMPLE good time, this is the place to be.

Luray is a beautiful small town in the middle of the Blue Ridge and Appalacian Mountains. As you drive up and down the street hills, you are caressed by the beautiful scenery of the mountains and clear skies, and in the middle of this scenery is CARDINAL INN BY SILVER STAR motel.

This is an affordable, but clean motel. It's decor is 70's, but in good taste. The beds and pillows are comfortable. There is a small microwave and fridge, but enough to serve the purpose. The bathtub, in my opinion, is very efficient because it's a small, square, low step-in tub that has a side to sit on in case you cannot stand when taking a shower; excellent for the elderly or disabled. If you want something more in a tub, whirlpool bathtubs are available; just ask for that room. There were always white, clean towels ready.

My room had windows on both sides. The window on one side had the view of the mountains, and the window on the other side had a view of the motel's entrance.

Next door to Cardinal Inn was a restaurant called "Southern Station Diner." This is a small diner. It was clean, the food was delicious (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). The service was friendly and quick, and the decor was very nice. I give this diner 4 stars. It lost a star because the smoking section is too open and close to the non-smoking section, and if you are a non-smoker like me, this can be bothersome.

Cardinal Inn is surrounded by restaurants and sites like: Luray Caverns, Luray Singing Tower, Garden Maze and gift shops. There is a plethora of campsites, hikes, mountain drives with scenic lookout points and more. What fun!

If I were to make a complaint about anything, I would say my room in Cardinal Inn needed a little patching and paint job, and the door to my rom was always stuck. You had to kick it to open it. But nothing bothersome unless using a little muscle is difficult for you.

This simple motel has everything for a simple vacation. It even has a little technology with its free wi-fi.

So, considering the price, its efficiencies and amenities, its location surrounded by good restaurants and shops, it maintenance crew and friendliness, I would give this motel 4 stars. It lost a star because of a need for a patch and paint job, and the door getting stuck, which is nothing to panic about.

For a simple and wholesome family good time, GO! you'll love it.

PROS--GOOD PRICE, CLEAN, EFFICIENT, GOOD LOCATION

CONS--NEED OF PAINT JOB, DOOR TO ROOM GETS STUCK

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank vheaden
Reviewed May 7, 2008

room was clean and quiet, no problems with hot water, bathroom, sheets etc.
breakfast was an insult (two kinds of rolls and that's it)
staff was very nice.

overall, it was a pleasant 1-night stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2008

Before I visit to Luray, I have reviewed available motels in Luray. Since Cardinal Inn is rated #1 motel in Luray, I just gave it a try and stayed their for 2 nights. As majority of the people said, I agree that Cardinal Inn is best choice in town of Luray. Their rate is very competitive and Luray itself is a small town where you don't find that many good motel (of course there is no hotel) in Luray. Staff is very fantastic and always eager to help in all possible way to make your stay memorable and comfortable. Their rooms are very clean, believe me I have stayed so many brand name motels and their cleanness is no where near to what they have at Cardinal Inn. By talking to the staff, I found out that recently (in Jan 2008) they have replaced outdated furniture, painted interior and exterior. Earlier they have upgraded all the mattress and installed brand new A/C units. When time changes, things changes as well. I would consider all those reviews written prior to year 2007 would not judge the Cardinal Inn appropriately.

Cardinal Inn has excellent front and back yard which are very peaceful. I agree that there is a train track which is about 1000 feet away from the backyard, but the frequency of freight train is very very rare, so it won't affect the peace in the area.

I will definitely stay at Cardinal Inn again and will also recommend everyone to consider the place to stay in Luray.

Hope this helps, Regards, Tuck and Nancy

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TusharVarodaria
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I am visiting Luray each year at least once since last 8 years. As per my opinion this is the very good accommodative hotel and I found this it is renovated this year . It's having good enough cleanliness, staff, location and competitive rate. The room in which I stayed was very good and worth enough for the value I paid. when you account the ultra quiet location and the fantastic staff and very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business