The Cardinal Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I am visiting Luray each year at least once since last 8 years. As per my opinion this is the very good accommodative hotel and I found this it is renovated this year . It's having good enough cleanliness, staff, location and competitive rate. The room in which I stayed was very good and worth enough for the value I paid. when you account the ultra quiet location and the fantastic staff and very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank swastikstar2000

Reviewed February 21, 2008

I booked a room for V-Day weekend. The room stunk so bad it made us gag. The door might as well have been a swinging door, it didn't lock, you could just push on it to open it. I was told that this is one of their nicest rooms. It was a king room. Needless to say, we absolutely didn't stay. I returned the key to have to pay full price for one night at this dump. The Days Inn down the road was MUCH nicer!! I don't recommend it at all!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank doro85
Reviewed December 2, 2007

After 37 years of marriage, we wanted to finally have the honeymoon we couldn't take when we were first married. We love the mountains and had never been to Luray Caverns, so we choose that as our destination and the Cardnal Inn because of their offer of a "Honeymoon Suite". I guess my expecations were way too high, because this "Suite" left much to be desired: It is a converted back room from what was probably at one time the manager's quarters. It is MUCH smaller than the on-line photos make it appear; the add-on bathroom was a good size, but the corner whirlpool tub makes it feel cramped - and no shower, just the tub! The room did have a small refrigerator (sitting on wood blocks to level it) and had a tiny microwave sitting on top of the refrigerator. The promised coffee maker never showed up. The large TV sat on the edge of the dresser, which left very little room for use of the mirror over the dresser. When we first arrived, the room had a strong, foul oder. Fortunately, I had febreeze in the car, so we sprayed everything (drapes, bedspread, pillows, etc), and left for dinner; when we got back, it was much better. On the positive side, at the back of the hotel and being off season the room was very quite; the whirlpool worked and there was plenty of hot water. And if the weather had been warmer, the screened in porch would have been a nice place to sit. However, overall, I feel $143.00 per night was too much for this room - and it certainly isn't a "Honeymoon Suite"!!!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Taking_Country_Roads
Reviewed November 26, 2007

The Cardinal Inn, located in Luray, Va, is located centrally between the Luray Caverns and the Sky Line drive. The hotel will provide very thrifty, but basic accommodations, while some rooms do have microwaves and fridges others do not. While this maybe a turn off to some, when you account the ultra quiet location and the fantastic staff, very friendly and willing to help any way possible it seems trivial; they made you feel comfortable and seem to really appreciate my business. The hotel does have free wireless and continental breakfast. For me cost determines my expectations and for the bargain price my expectations were met and exceeded by the staff.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank streattech
Reviewed October 15, 2007

First - there are no HOTELS at this moment in Luray. There ARE motels, however. If you are staying in Luray for a night or two to see the caverns and go hiking, I would definitely recommend this place. It is CLEAN but outdated. Sure, new bedspreads, curtains and wall hangings would make it look better, but the main things you should be interested in are all well taken care of. Plus, it's obvious that they've recently put money into things like new doors, paint and air conditioners. The bathroom was clean, had great pressure and hot water. The bed was comfy, the TV worked, and there was plenty of room for luggage. The lady at the front desk was very nice and the continental breakfast was nice before heading out. This is not the Ritz, a Hilton, or even a Holiday Inn. But, it is probably the best darn place to stay in Luray. Also, within a short distance of the downtown area, which has a couple surprisingly nice eateries (like Artisans Grill) and just a few minutes from the caverns. Can't beat it.

• Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank annchgo
Reviewed June 16, 2007

They are nice folks, and I don't like saying negatives, but Luray does not have ANY decent lodging. I chose Cardinal Inn because it is rated #1 in Luray. I haven't stayed in lodging this shabby in decades! Their rooms are extremely outdated. No refrigerator or microwave in our room. Continental breakfast in lobby is "gas-station-snack-type" muffins in plastic wrap so they can re-use them each day till they're gone. The bed is way too soft = morning back aches. The bathroom had a perpetually muddy floor (was that because the carpet was dirty and our feet were wet when we came out of the shower?) and the bathroom is extremely small, cramped, and 1950's pink. Poor soundproofing: we had to listen to the people in the room next to us LOUDLY making love throughout the night. It was a bad experience. Here, I will try to say something nice: the bedding was clean, and the people at the front desk are friendly. Otherwise there is not much else positive to say about this place.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank anydaynow
Reviewed June 2, 2007

We were not looking for fancy, just a nice comfortable, clean room for one night and that is exactly what we got. A good value for the money. The owners were very friendly and accommodating. The only complaint I can think of is that there was not a coffee maker in the room, and the office didn't open until 8:00am. Yikes! I HAVE to have my coffee in the morning and we are early risers! Aside from that, we had a pleasant restful sleep and then went on our way to explore the beautiful Shenandoah Valley.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
Days Inn Luray Shenandoah
Hotel Laurance
#3 of 9 in Luray
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley

Been to The Cardinal Inn? Share your experiences!