“Good basic accommodations”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Columbia, Maryland, United States
“Good basic accommodations”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Nice clean room with small TV, mini-fridge and microwave. Free Wi-Fi with decent speeds. Comfortable bed (clean sheets) and large bathroom with shower/bath. Not much else to say, nice small town motel with a dated 70's decor.

Booked online and checked in late during prime season (Oct 2011), and did not experience any problems. No tall grass or broken windows like other reviewers here have indicated.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hughesville, MD
Reviewed January 1, 2012

The man checking us in was pleasant. We were looking for a place to stay that was close to the Artisan where we went for our New Year's Eve party. After researching, there were not many affordable choices with good reviews. I figured for one night, it can't be that bad. The room was small but did have a microwave and mini refrigerator. The room seemed clean except for one dead gnat I saw between the mattress and headboard. The negatives for me are the fact that the bathroom window and one of the front windows did not lock. Being we are on ground level, someone could easily open the window, remove the screen and come inside while we are sleeping. My husband had a pair of pliers and was able to fix the front window, however, the bathroom window was damaged beyond repair. I opened the door to the connecting room, I was unable to lock this door. There were two doors, I did not try the second door because I heard the t.v. on in the adjoining room and did not want to scare the person in there by trying to open their door. I have no idea if the door was locked or not, unsettling. My husband packed a small flashlight for me in case I had to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I did not need the flashlight because of the large amount of light that shown in the room over the curtains, there was no way to turn this off which made it very hard to sleep for me. The bed was very hard and made a lot of noise when you tossed and turned but the pillow was comfortable. I am not sure if I would stay here again, I think it might be worth paying a few extra bucks for a bed and breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I only stayed here because I was tired and couldn't be bothered looking. It is way too expensive for what you get. But it is clean so no dramas there. The drain in the shower was clogged up however, so that made showering somewhat disgusting. Only stay here if you have to.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here ask to check out the room first if possible and check that it is all in goo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank shazam10

Travelers are raving about these Luray hotels

asheville
Reviewed October 28, 2011

My friend and I had planned to start a three day backpack in the Shenandoahs late in the day but had to change plans when it was thundering and lightning. We drove by several places in Luray (in the dark), and decided to risk this for the reasonable price (we paid $66). The others cost more than we wanted to pay or looked nasty.

The office was closed, but the attendant was responsive. The room was clean though a bit outdated. The tub/shower was interesting...the walls were short for a tub. The bed was adequate, and we left early the next morning, feeling rested and that we had gotten what we were looking for at a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank turtles2
Wyoming, Delaware
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Between the horrible stink in the lobby, the cracked plate glass window (taped up) and the overall run-down look of the place - we KNEW this could NOT be good. They dorked up our reservation and gave us 'the next best room' - we asked to look at it first - OMG - what a DUMP!!!! 85 bucks for THIS!!!??? The room smelled nasty and was basic YUK - we immediately said no way - would rather sleep in the car than this place. Thankfully since they messed up the reservation we didn't have to pay. Absolutely disgusting place. Stay in the Collinsview Inn (right behind this dump) if you're lucky enough to get one of the 3 rooms - we were lucky and it is an absolutely fantastic place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa F
Woodbine, MD
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I booked through the National Park Reservation service for Shenandoah. I was very specific that I needed a room with two doubles and a roll-away bed. The reservation assistant said that she had secured me a room at Cardinal and I would be able to have a roll-away. I was in a bind and needed a room on short notice, so I was willing to take the room at Cardinal on the condition that I would have the extra bed to use. When we checked in, I mentioned the roll-away again and was told, "Oh, it's already in your room." When we returned late from dinner - no roll-away bed in the room. I asked at the office and they had no response by a simpering smile and, "Sorry. The roll-aways are already in other rooms." They did nothing to rectify this discrepancy; they didn't even appear sorry. My easy-going, sweet son offered to sleep on the floor, so that his siblings and parents could have the beds. Service here is atrocious and I am very angry that no effort whatsoever was made to properly accommodate my reservation as it was made. On top of that, the bathroom is an absolute dump; the fixtures are from the 40's; the sink faucet sprays water everywhere and there's not a dry spot anywhere to place clothing to change. There is also a complete lack of surface to put a hairbrush, makeup, shave kit, contact lens care, etc. I would never go back here; if it wasn't already 9:00pm with 3 kids exhausted from hiking all day, I would have rather slept in the car!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Danielle C
Vaugnsville Ohio 45893
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Booked room @ Cardinal Inn thru Nat'l Park Reservation service--feeling I could trust this website. The landscaping (or lack of) was the first clue--unmown lawn, weeds waist high around signs. Found doors to office were both locked but could see a bare foot resting on top of counter. After banging on door, the person connected to the foot popped up and let me into an office that did not pass the "smell" test. Asked to see the room--found it to be straight out of the "70's" --threadbare carpet, aged bedspread, small tv, musty odor,etc. Lost a deposit and paid a cancellation fee also.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sharon N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Hotel Laurance
#3 of 9 in Luray
Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock

Been to The Cardinal Inn? Share your experiences!