“Basic Accommodations, w/Peace and Quiet”
Review of The Cardinal Inn

The Cardinal Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Reviewed November 26, 2007

The Cardinal Inn, located in Luray, Va, is located centrally between the Luray Caverns and the Sky Line drive. The hotel will provide very thrifty, but basic accommodations, while some rooms do have microwaves and fridges others do not. While this maybe a turn off to some, when you account the ultra quiet location and the fantastic staff, very friendly and willing to help any way possible it seems trivial; they made you feel comfortable and seem to really appreciate my business. The hotel does have free wireless and continental breakfast. For me cost determines my expectations and for the bargain price my expectations were met and exceeded by the staff.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin S

Reviewed October 15, 2007

First - there are no HOTELS at this moment in Luray. There ARE motels, however. If you are staying in Luray for a night or two to see the caverns and go hiking, I would definitely recommend this place. It is CLEAN but outdated. Sure, new bedspreads, curtains and wall hangings would make it look better, but the main things you should be interested in are all well taken care of. Plus, it's obvious that they've recently put money into things like new doors, paint and air conditioners. The bathroom was clean, had great pressure and hot water. The bed was comfy, the TV worked, and there was plenty of room for luggage. The lady at the front desk was very nice and the continental breakfast was nice before heading out. This is not the Ritz, a Hilton, or even a Holiday Inn. But, it is probably the best darn place to stay in Luray. Also, within a short distance of the downtown area, which has a couple surprisingly nice eateries (like Artisans Grill) and just a few minutes from the caverns. Can't beat it.

• Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank annchgo
Reviewed June 16, 2007

They are nice folks, and I don't like saying negatives, but Luray does not have ANY decent lodging. I chose Cardinal Inn because it is rated #1 in Luray. I haven't stayed in lodging this shabby in decades! Their rooms are extremely outdated. No refrigerator or microwave in our room. Continental breakfast in lobby is "gas-station-snack-type" muffins in plastic wrap so they can re-use them each day till they're gone. The bed is way too soft = morning back aches. The bathroom had a perpetually muddy floor (was that because the carpet was dirty and our feet were wet when we came out of the shower?) and the bathroom is extremely small, cramped, and 1950's pink. Poor soundproofing: we had to listen to the people in the room next to us LOUDLY making love throughout the night. It was a bad experience. Here, I will try to say something nice: the bedding was clean, and the people at the front desk are friendly. Otherwise there is not much else positive to say about this place.

7  Thank anydaynow
Reviewed June 2, 2007

We were not looking for fancy, just a nice comfortable, clean room for one night and that is exactly what we got. A good value for the money. The owners were very friendly and accommodating. The only complaint I can think of is that there was not a coffee maker in the room, and the office didn't open until 8:00am. Yikes! I HAVE to have my coffee in the morning and we are early risers! Aside from that, we had a pleasant restful sleep and then went on our way to explore the beautiful Shenandoah Valley.

Reviewed May 6, 2007

If the Cardinal Inn is really the best place to stay in Luray, as the TripAdvisor rankings currently indicate, that's a sad comment on hotel options in Luray. The Cardinal Inn provides very basic roadside accommodation: you'll get a clean room in good repair, and that's about it. It's the kind of room I'd happily pay $50-60 for, but not $75-90 as they currently charge. I'm not usually picky about decor, but the 1950's-vintage mint-green color scheme in the synthetic curtains and the bathroom tiles, the plastic flower arrangements, and the loud patterned bedspreads felt oppressively cheap. The wireless Internet connection was spotty, and to plug my computer in I had to unplug the microwave as all the other outlets were the traditional two-prong type. The beds were hard (fine with me), as were the pillows (not so fine), and the towels were tiny and rough. Breakfast was basic nourishment: cereal and milk, orange juice, coffee/tea, minimuffins, and some kind of glazed pastry.

Not a terrible experience as accommodation goes, but a bit of a ripoff at $75 or more. True, there is wireless Internet and a refrigerator and microwave, but I'm not sure that is worth the $25+ a night more than I would ordinarily pay for this room.

Reviewed February 15, 2007

Based on the mixed review, we choose this motel during our Christmas holiday and just took a chance. I was not expecting great but it turns out to be very memoriable.

First, they have recently replaced new mattress which is pillow top type and very very comfortable. While talking to the front desk staff, I found that, now they have fridge/microwave in all the room, of course free. They have recently changed TV wiring and TV reception is very nice. In short, they have listened to their customer and improved lot.

They don't have swimming pool for sure, and as per staff, they have reported travel agent website such as expedia several times, and sometime it shows without swimming pool but then again shows as with swimming pool. I think it is travel agent's website sync problem and nothing to do with this motel.

Overall, Fantastic, I love the place. These people are very kind and always willing to go beyond... Sure, Will be back...

Alan and Eileen

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ap_111
Reviewed January 23, 2007

Went there for a weekend with my daughter and a friend to visit Luray Caverns. Only stayed 2 nights, wasn't horrible but I knew where I was going and knew it wouldn't be a 5 Star hotel. Wouldn't want to stay there (town or hotel) any longer than I did. What we went for it was great. Room was clean, outdated but fine...

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank akg11670
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
Days Inn Luray Shenandoah
#3 of 9 in Luray
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley
Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley

Been to The Cardinal Inn? Share your experiences!