“Maybe it was just a bad choice on my part”
Review of Speakeasy Bar

Speakeasy Bar
Ranked #6 of 40 Restaurants in Luray
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Our group of eleven golfers dined here on Friday, Sept 30th. I ordered the dinner salad and the Sirloin over garlic mash potatoes. The salad was very good. When my steak arrived I was suprised at the size. Not much bigger than a hockey puck. Then I tried to cut it, WOW !
Even though I had a steak knife I had a very difficult time getting through the meat. It was even harder to chew. I gave up after two bites. I ate the salad tators and called it a night.
The waitress was very apologetic but offered no compensation for the non-edible main course. Others in my group liked their food and some complimented on how good the ribs were. I guess I just made a bad choice

Reviewed September 6, 2011

I went to this restaurant with my husband, our three year old and our two month old. The food was good, basic all-American bar food. The drinks were strong, and the prices good. The live entertainment, a guy with a guitar singing songs from the 60s and 70s, was a good vocalist and entertaining. The best of all was the wonderful waitstaff. They knew how to deal with a toddler and the restaurant was extremely child friendly.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

We live in Luray so we know the food around here. The Speakeasy is one of the best restaurants in town. The main street deli is our 2nd choice...if we are looking for a good sandwich. Luray doesn't have too many good restaurants so if we want a good place to eat this is our pick. If you eat before 6:00pm the appetizers are 1/2 off. The house chips and dipping sauce are excellent! They usually have live music later in the evening. It is the only place in Luray with atmosphere.

Reviewed June 25, 2011

I worked in a similar restaurant for a few years in a different town, I was visiting for the weekend and was looking to have a few drinks and a simple dinner on Friday around 9 pm. We were sat and it took 10 minutes before the servicer addressed us. She did apologize and took our drink, appetizer, and dinner orders. I ordered a beer and my girlfriend ordered a Cosmo, these drinks took another 15 minutes to arrive, when the bartender was at best moderately busy. When the drinks arrived there was a fly in the Cosmo from not covering the liquor bottles at night. We ordered a Rubin for dinner and there was no 1000 island dressing on it. To there credit they did take off the Cosmo, but the lighting was too bright, the music was too dull, and the service/food made it a terrible night. This restaurant was recommended, but disappointed in every way . I hope this was a off night, but it didn't seem that way.

Reviewed May 23, 2011

My wife and I went here for dinner on a Friday night. It was recommended by Mike, the proprietor of the White Fence Bed and Breakfast, where we were staying for our 28th wedding anniversary. Mike said he and his wife go there, which was good enough for me.

The food was great, the service was excellent, and the atmosphere was exactly what you'd expect from a speakeasy (except much more classy than in the movies). It's a cozy place with not many tables, so if you get there on a busy night, I expect you'd have to wait to be seated. But it would be worth the wait.

Been to Speakeasy Bar? Share your experiences!