“Family Restaurant”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Austin, Texas
“Family Restaurant”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

This restaurant had a little of everything. My 9 yr old stepdaughter was our burger critic for the 2-week trip and she said that was the best of them all. We ended up eating there twice in one day due to the variety and location. They even had an evening buffet at a reasonable price!

Visited July 2014

Baltimore, Maryland
“TOURIST SCAM! Nursing Home Food at Fine Dining Prices”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

What a total scam! Don't be fooled by the heavy advertising. This is a broke down, vomitous tourist trap. We went for the family country buffet after visiting Luray Caverns, The food was tasteless, choiceless, and freshless......to coin a term or two.
You could have the stale cold white bread rolls, with your salad bar that was full of expired toppings. Yes, they actually "fizzed" on the tongue. (PS--"lettuce" is shredded iceberg taco lettuce from last week.) Continue on to the "buffet" and you will find:
1. hamburger helper elbow mac "mexican" style but done poorly
2. what I think was dark chicken meat in sugar water
3. instant rice - extra water
4. moist free slices of roast beef? in water disguised as aus jus
5. creamed peas
6. creamed greens of some sort
7. 3 hot dogs swimming in sweet sauerkraut
And how do you mess up desserts? How do you make DRY chocolate cake. How can a pie crust be raw dough without someone noticing? I just am perplexed. I saw what the staff was eating and it looked better!!!

It was like visiting Granny in the nursing home but worse. I couldn't digest the food and a day later still am suffering. We left saying we have a good and funny story but I could do without the bloat and pain as I write....

Even the teeny rock candy pops on the way out were $5.99!!!!! Give me a break.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank CharmCityGirl2014
Gainesville, Virginia
“Nice Find”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Stopped by this place for breakfast after leaving the Yogi Bear campground. Extremely nice folks working there and the breakfast buffet had your standard breakfast fare, all fresh and abundant. The biscuits and gravy were especially nice.

York, United Kingdom
“Retro & delicious”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I ate at Brookside restaurant for 4 days as I was staying in the nearby lovely cabins also owned by the same people who own the restaurant. The staff are friendly and there is a good selection of food throughout the day and evening which was great for me as I was out painting and exploring all day and needed a healthy breakfast - delicious oatmeal and fruit in my case; in the evening as I am a vegetarian the staff amended dishes to suit me with no complaint only helpful suggestions.

I sat in the vintage booths which was an additional treat as we don't usually have similar seating in the UK and it was good to chat with some of the local people who regularly eat there including the former owner of the nearby Yogi Bear camp which he and his family ran for an amazing 37 years!

So if you're visiting Luray, a nice small town with caverns, antiques a lovely book shop, jewellery and an art centre and you're going on the Skyline Drive [ or even if you're not], Brookside Restaurant is a great place to call in to for a bite to eat.

Poquoson, Virginia
“This is a great restaurant!”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My wife and I ate dinner at the Brookside and really loved this place. Everyone was very nice there. It felt like a restuarant from the past with the great service and friendly staff. The buffet was great and had some of the best fried chicken I ever had. Next time we go to Luray, we are eating here every night. The location and the building itself is worth the visit.

• Visited July 2014

Been to Brookside Restaurant? Share your experiences!