“Peaceful, Clean, and a great deal!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Luray
Luray Caverns Motel West
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Peaceful, Clean, and a great deal!”
Reviewed August 12, 2006

On July 20th, me and two of my girlfriends stayed at the Luray Caverns Motel West hotel in Luray Caverns, Virginia. We had a great time. After having read mixed opinions on the hotel I was a little unsure. But when I got there I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were spacious and clean. The room was well made up, the bathroom was average size, it had a television and phone. The pool was GREAT! Really nice! The view from our room was pretty decent compared to most hotels I had been on, on our trip! It was very peaceful-- not a lot of traffic. The front desk person was very kind, and informative. The breakfast was a good deal as well. (We got 25% off the buffet price) <-- It had a good variety of things. Near the hotel there are fast food restaurants, a Wal-Mart, automotive shops, etc. And the best part.. it was only 79.00 US! GREAT DEAL! I would VERY much want to stay there again!

• Liked — The rooms!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to Luray Caverns first! Because you get a coupon for the hotel!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank ilovesrd

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed July 4, 2006

I stayed at the Luray Caverns Motel East just last weekend and wish to Heaven I'd booked somehwere else! It was nice in the fact that it had a pool and was close to the Caverns. However, the rooms FELT dirty as well as smelled dirty. The crapets were distgusting (I kept my flip flops on at ALL times.) and it took about 3 minutes of holding down the toilet handle for the toilet to flush. On top of that the continental breakfast consisted of 2 diff types of boxed cereal with milk in a pitcher that had been sitting out. We opted to eat at a local diner called South STation DIner, now they get a A+++. I would never stay at the Luray Caverns Motel again if I had a choice.

• Stayed July 2006
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Luray hotels

Reviewed August 31, 2004

My wife and I spent one night here in late August, 2004. The only staff we interacted with was the desk clerk, who was polite and friendly. although she could not tell us when the restaurant at the Caverns closed, and stamped our "free" continental breakfast tickets with the wrong date. The room we had was a balcony room, with an okay view. The room was clean, although the ice bucket bore a striking resemblance to an old Cool Whip container. Upon entering the room, we were instantly transported back to our childhood. Both my wife and I could remember staying in the motel some 30 years ago, with our repsective families, because the room decor had changed very little. Basically the room, especially the bathroom area, was straight out of the Brady Bunch era. Nostalgic for sure, but a bit lacking when compared to modern motels. We didn't notice any noise problems, but the air conditioner was on, even though it was not cooling the room sufficiently. I would recommend this motel for short stays - a day or two, at most.

• Stayed August 2004
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Islandia, Long Island
Reviewed August 24, 2004

My family and I spent a couple of days at Motel East in August of 2004. I have to admit I was a bit aprehensive given the other two reviews, but I'm happy to say that the apprehension was misplaced. The motel has a number of different options to choose from: older standard style "dorm" type rooms; shared-wall stone "cottages"; and individual "cottages". We opted for the latter that had two bedrooms on either side of the bath. The cottages are opposite the smallish built-in pool, but the pool was clean and the water clear and with the doors shut and A/C on we couldn't hear any real noise (the pool shuts down at 11 pm, but most people are out before then). The big plus here is being directly opposite the Luray Singing Tower (be sure to catch a carillon recital, very unique) and within walking distance of the cavern entrance. Both historic downtown, such as it is, and "modern" uptown are within minutes drives, as are most support services. The price for the room I also felt was very reasonable, especially given that the cottage we had was a more private rooming situation than you would normally expect. Not much of a view of the mountains as the Website would have you think, though. Speaking of which, now for some specifics that I hope will be of help:

+'s:
* Friendly service, clean rooms, free ice and pool (seperately of course!)
* Kiddie wading pool next to main pool.
* Local to most tourist traps.
* Reasonably priced.
* Quaint cottages.

--'s (and they're fairly minor):
* Bathroom door stuck closed, door knob almost fell off, window painted shut (and for ME, that was important!!!). There was also only a shower in the cottage; for younger kids, a tub might be preferential.
* Poor TV reception, and trying to adjust it didn't help (there IS cable, but not a whole lot to choose from). At least BOTH bedrooms in our cottage had TVs, though the lack of Nickelodeon had my daughter perturbed!
* As noted in one of the other reviews, the disinfectant had a "curious" odor, though I wouldn't say it was offensive. A good airing out with the A/C on helped alleviate this situation. (A/C was plenty powerful, but somewhat noisy.)
* No clock in room.
* Free "continental breakfast" was LAME! You get coupons to the Luray Cafe across the street, which is fine, but I don't know what continent they had in mind for breakfast. It's limited to a plain, not very fresh bagel or cold cereal. If you want anything other than coffee, there's a CHARGE! No free tea or juice! You *can* trade up for a 25% discount off a reasonable breakfast buffet, but even then you have to pay for drinks. A better bet would have been coffee, tea, juice, and danish etc. served in the office area of the motel or out near the pool. I'm a big breakfast eater and for me this was a BIG letdown!

Speaking of which, and unrelated to the motel, avoid the "family buffet" restaurant out on the western edge of town "on the mountain". Where I come from, a buffet means a SPREAD. They had like 5 things to choose from and even then it was not very appealing. Opt for the Brookside way out on the east end of town. Doesn't look like a whole lot from the outside but the food was good southern cooking in a diner-like setting.

All-in-all, I'd say this place is worth a try. If you have any qualms let the management know and I'm sure they'll take care of it right away!

• Stayed August 2004
33 Thank womquat
Reviewed July 10, 2004

Made a reservation based on the web site. When we got there, we found it to be a dump in every sense of the word. We wound up getting a room elsewhere. Management refused our request for a refund.

19 Thank Bruce C
Reviewed September 29, 2003

Luray Motel East was very noisy and made it hard to rest.
Example:slaming doors at 11:00 p.m.Loud music,and the rooms were ok,except our room had a strong urine odor.Maybe from a cleaning solution?Any way travelers,in a pinch,it's ok.But look around before you stay there!

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Hotel Laurance
Hotel Laurance
#3 of 9 in Luray
Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley

Been to Luray Caverns Motel West? Share your experiences!