“Cost does not hit the wallet”

Uncle Buck's Family Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 40 Restaurants in Luray
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed April 4, 2013

You get what you pay for. The food was fresh and the waitress was pleasant. Page County is not DC. You cannot expect fine dining in a typical rural situation. I wish I could eat as cheaply as this in the UK and have a similar meal at a pseudo American diner $135 / £86 for five people. (£120/ $187

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Don't go to Uncle Buck's hungry. In fact, don't go at all. We attempted to eat here this evening but never got our food.

We probably should have known by the first impressions - stained carpet, shabby restaurant in general. We ordered a fairly simple meal- one entree each. We thought the couple next to us had finished eating already as they had two finished small plates when we walked in. Fast forward 45 minutes later - we still have no dinner and the entrees for the couple next to us finally arrived. That's when we realized they must have had their appetizers almost an hour before their entrees. The poor couple wolfed down their dinners in about 10 minutes flat, took the rest to go and hustled out of there. They too were clearly tired of waiting. After about an hour, our waiter informs us that they don't have some of the ingredients for one of our entrees. That meant after an hour, they were just starting to make our meals. The hostess went to check on them a bit later and told us they'd be a while longer yet. She offered a discount but by that time, we really just wanted dinner. We didn't have another half hour to waste waiting for food that might or might not show up. It was only 30 minutes back to where we were staying so we opted to drive back and just eat in. At least we knew we'd get our food and when we'd get it!

2  Thank TigaMi
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Uncle Buck's should have been at 4. I had every intention of giving this place one until the very end of our breakfast there.

Initially, we stopped in on a Saturday night to grab a menu to look over for Sunday morning. The hostess who handed me the menu must have been very friendly and smiling, because I noticed and was impressed. This is usually not the case in DC, unfortunately.

We returned Sunday morning, and a waitress scrambled to find us a seat in the restaurant, but there were a quite a few tables that hadn't been cleaned off yet. It wasn't a big deal, because they probably just got over a breakfast rush, but we did stand in the middle of the dining room awkwardly for about a minute. While standing there, one of the workers poked his head out from the kitchen door into the dining room wearing a bright green afro wig for St. Patrick's Day, and this made a group of elderly folks giggle, which made me love the place more.

Upon being seated, our waitress got our orders. I went with coffee (they had Irish Cream for St. Patrick's Day!) and the Buckshot (BLT with egg), and my husband ordered the crab omelette with grits and toast. The pricing seemed very cheap. I believe my Buckshot was $4.75. It tasted delicious! I kind of wished it came with a side of potatoes/hashbrowns or something, but I suppose I could've ordered that on the side. My husband thought his crab omelette was pretty good, but didn't care for his grits. We don't normally eat a lot of grits, though.

I got up to use the restroom, and the same friendly hostess from the night before was sitting in the back and read my mind that I was looking for them, and directed me. Even when paying our bill, she was very helpful in giving us directions to Luray Caverns. While we're on the topic of the bathroom, it was a little scary. When someone in the adjacent bathroom flushed their toilet, mine bubbled and made a loud noise. Thankfully, I was only washing my hands at the time...

Okay, now why Uncle Buck's isn't a 4. Our waitress did a great job getting our order. After that, we never really saw her again. She never checked in on us, never refilled our coffee, and we waited over 20 minutes to get our bill. She even noticed 5 minutes in, and said she would be right back with it. I had to ask her again at 15 minutes in, and then, we still didn't get until at least 20 minutes in. It was awful. I haven't received service that bad in a long time, and I live in DC... I was really disappointed after the hostess having been an exceptional staff member there. I've waited tables before for six years, and I know that things can get busy during breakfast rushes, but if someone asks you for something multiple times (and you only have five to six tables), it shouldn't take over 20 minutes. I really, really loved this place, but this was a big disappointment for us.

Other than that, we enjoyed the food. It's a pretty low-key, casual place - a small town diner where you probably find a lot of the locals. Hopefully, our service was an anomaly.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We asked the waitress what was the best item to order on the menu. She suggested the prime rib, they only make it twice a week and that was the item to order. So we did. It was awful. Very fatty. There was something wrong with the vegetables, they seemed to be fresh but tasted almost water logged., luke warm sweet potato, salad dressing was no where near homemade it had a gel like consistncy to it. We could barely choke down half of our meal. Dinner for 2 adults and 1 child with 2 sodas was $47.00, which would have been a good deal had the food been edible. The best thing uncle bucks has going for them that's coming out of the kitchen it their french fries. A huge dissappointment.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The food is excellent. They have home made biscuits & honey which is Great! Make some really delicious omelets! The waitresses are friendly and very prompt taking our orders. We look forward to return time and time again. Reminds me of a restaurant we had in our little town in Maryland. They have good cooks as the food is delicious and the waitresses are great!