“Wouldn't even give it a one. Was awful and gross!”

Shenandoah River Outfitters, Inc.
Ranked #6 of 12 Outdoor Activities in Luray
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at the Falcon Crest Cabin and will never go back or recommend to anyone. This place was gross and hard to get to. There is nothing to do around it so if you are looking for a clean, smoke free place with access to river this is not the place to rent. I emailed the owners to let them know about the conditions of the cabin and never received a response from them. Here is what I sent them:

First of all, I was not expecting to find a hotel room. I travel often and have stayed in many places and I love the rustic peaceful vibe of staying in a cabin. After reading the description of your cabins and considering the cost to rent them, I was expecting at least a clean place with all the things needed to spend a nice relaxing weekend in the mountains. Unfortunately that is not what we found when we arrived at the Falcon Crest Cabin.

Our first impression was not the best when we opened the door and the cabin stunk of cigarette smoke, so strong we didn't want to bring our clothes in. It would be nice if your description of the cabin said smoking was allowed so people know what to expect before they rent it.

After bringing in some of our belongings we decide to check out the rest of the cabin. We go into the room with the jacuzzi and realized the room smelled of cigarettes even more than the rest of the cabin. Honestly, I don't know how anybody, including smokers, could stay in that room longer than a few minutes. BUT our biggest disappointment and the reason we didn't feel like staying or even touching anything in the cabin was the used condom we found in that jacuzzi tub room, yes a USED CONDOM. Now I would like for you to put yourself in my shoes. Imagine you pay over 400$ to spend a nice relaxing weekend in a cabin and you get to one of the rooms and find a used condom. You immediately question (at least I did) if the owners ever come in to clean the cabin. Do you think it is unreasonable for me to be upset because I was expecting at least a clean cabin and within 15 minutes of entering the place I find something that disgusting?

After the disgusting experience in the jacuzzi room, which we never used by the way, we decide to continue exploring the rest of the cabin. It was not surprising that the rest of the cabin wasn't that clean either. I was expecting a certain amount of dust because it is the mountains and we were in the middle of nowhere however I did not expect to find a bed full of dog hair. Again, immediately made me question if that bedding got washed before we got in that cabin.

11  Thank Maria N

Reviewed November 8, 2012

My family rented two canoes from SRO in October and did a six mile paddle on the scenic Shenandoah river. It was a great experience and SRO does an excellent job. We saw eagle nests, tons of fish, and even cattle in the water. Beautiful views and awesome fall color. Nice current to help you along and many class one rocky rapids. We were done earlier than expected so we had to wait 30 minutes for SRO to pick us up. Important note - cell phones do not work at the take out point!

4  Thank billandsara82
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

We hired a canoe and took the option of a two hour ride down the river. We loved every minute of it. Beautiful scenery and the rowing wasn't too strenuous so it was very relaxing. Once the course was completed we were picked up by the organisers and taken to our car. Will be doing this again next time I visit.

3  Thank Jackie M
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The staff was wonderful and gave us great trip tips. No frills great service. We are planning a return trip with the kids.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I went canoeing on the Shenandoah yesterday and had a very nice time. The scenery is beautiful, and we saw two bald eagles as well as numerous herons and dozens of turtles. The only problem came at the end. We were told that there would be a pick-up at the end-point at 2pm and another every hour until 5. We arrived at the take-out point at 1:50 exactly and found out from a private group that was taking out that a driver from our company had left with another boat only a few minutes ago. After 2 pm came and went, we realized that the driver who had just left was the driver who was supposed to pick us up and he had left without waiting for us. To make a long story shorter, we had to wait almost a full extra hour before being picked up and got only the most perfunctory of apologies from those in charge at the company, and none whatsoever from the driver who left early. They effectively said, "get over it, this stuff happens all the time." Maybe so, but when it does, a sincere apology and maybe a discount coupon for our next visit would have gone a long way toward making us feel better for having wasted an hour of our time on a vacation weekend.

5  Thank DG_in_DC