“Updated”

Days Inn Luray Shenandoah
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Hotel in a good location. Requested a new room because first smell of cigs. Had to pick up several dead bugs in bathroom. Newer furniture was nice.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 25, 2008

This motel sits on a large property with lots of grass on the outskirts of Luray. There was an odd smell to the room, though not smoke. The decor is quite old-fashioned. We appreciated the minifridge/microwave, as well as the two sinks to speed up getting ready in the morning. There was only one chair in the room for the three of us. The bed was firm but comfortable and the pillows were also comfortable. Our teenager slept on a rollaway that barely fit in the room. We had a quiet stay except for hearing the phone ring in the next room at 5am. In the bathroom I saw one dead beetle and one live beetle. The continental breakfast was definitely meager. You must drive to restaurants. The person at the front desk was very helpful with information about restaurants and about the caverns.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank 4 Joyful Travel
Reviewed July 24, 2008

We stayed here three days through July 4th, cautioned, based on the reviews. True, there were very few choices in the area. Shenandoah Nat. Park is easily accessed. First of all, they have some rooms they have furnished with antiques. We love antiques. But not musty smelling antiques. The bed was so high it came with a three-step ladder to get into the bed. When you are barely awake and need the potty in the middle of the night, well, you get awake mighty fast falling off the bed. The first night the mattress pad wrestled with us - and won. After we complained they changed it to a new one and it was fine. However, the very same dead bugs that were under the furniture (high legs, you could see the floor to the edge) had the same dead bugs every day, and I am sure they are still there. Housekeeping must not believe in cleaning corners either. They did make a pass down the middle of the room every day. Breakfast was fair the first day, but we found an awesome little coffee place in Luray called 58 West (at 58 W. Main St.). Homemade scones, quiche, mocha lattes, chai and they made us a wonderful box lunch with sandwiches, fresh fruit and dessert for picnicking on the Parkway.
Try to get into one of the National Park lodges if you can.
We can't recommend this place to stay based on our experience, really. I WAS impressed with the ladies at the front desk. They went out of their way to help us on a number of occasions, including one giving me some laundry detergent from her car when I mentioned I was allergic to Tide (that is all they had for sale) .Oh, Luray had an awesome firework display! Too bad the fair was rained out. Great antique stores, too.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2008

I stayed at the Days Inn Luray on July 3, 2008. The hotel is located outside of downtown Luray, but is on the road to Shenandoah National Park and to Luray Caverns. There are nice views of the mountains in the morning.

We had a first-floor room facing the pool. The room was clean and was nicely furnished. The hotel left some extra complimentary toiletries, such as Pepto-Bismol (we didn't have to use that). We didn't have any problems with hot water for the shower.

There is also a fitness room and a laundry available, although we didn't use either. The complimentary breakfast consisted of things such as plain bagels, muffins, orange juice, milk, and coffee.

Overall, we enjoyed our night there and would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Nice hotel. Two floors, almost all the rooms have mountain views. Room was very clean, had a 4 cubic ft fridge, microwave, hair dryer, iron, and ironing board. Cable tv channels were limited. The interior had nice amenities-furniture, beds, bedding, etc. The exterior could use some painting. It has a nice small pool , and a baby pool which is open from 9am-10pm.

Continental breakfast , available from 6-9 am, consisted of a choice of OJ and apple juice, hot water, coffees, muffins, pastries, 2 types of cereal, white and wheat bread, bagels, cream cheese, butter, jelly, and two types of fresh fruit. USA today available for pick-up.

Staff were outstanding-very friendly and accomodating. I actually added on another night I was enjoying myself so much.

Pets are allowed, but not in all rooms. Let them know when you check in if you have critters. The hotel is on a lot of acreage-great for dogs. Facility also has miniature golf and towels at the pool.

One of the closest hotels to the park. Although it is not "in town", it takes about 3 minutes to drive there.

I will definitely being staying there again. They advised me that to get the best rate to call them directly.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I generally don't like motels, and will never stay in them if I have a choice. If u want to stay near Luray Caverns, though, there is absolutely NO hotel nearby. Just about 6 or 7 motels. So from Tripadvisor reviews, I chose this Days Inn.

Overall, it was sufficiently comfortable and pleasant. I would recommend it, and stay again, if I had to sleep near Luray Caverns. It is about a pleasant 5 minute drive to the caverns.

The motel itself is relatively clean and seems safe. There was plenty of parking for us. The front desk staff were very nice and did a good job; we didn't have to wait long to check in. The room itself could use an update, but since we were only paying $67 + taxes, it was to be expected. Beds, bathroom, decor, and everything were good. Facilities, hot water, etc. was just fine, compared to other motels I've had to stay at. I never felt unsafe at all. (But I did come in and out during daylight hours).

There was a pool there, which ppl were enjoying. Land appears to be cheap for Days Inn, as there was a LOT of land around the hotel, with a tree-lined entrance, making it quite nice. I wish I had brought a frisbee or boomerage to play w/ my kids! Absolutely beautiful land behind the motel to run around in.

The breakfast buffet & eating area were better than expected. Had cereals, tea/coffee, milk, juices, bagels, toast, fruits, cereals, and some other stuff. Excellent! This really helped launch us into a good Luray Caverns visit.

For nearby stuff, within 5-7 minutes or so, you have a large Wal-Mart Supercenter, along w/ Mikky D's, the Luray Zoo, the Luray Caverns of course, TacoBell/Pizza Hut, and a couple other places.

I would recommend this motel to anybody.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 14, 2008

My wife and I stayed here on Memorial Day weekend. I booked this room based on its rates, $70 per night for Friday and Saturday and $ 60 for Sunday, and its location to Shenandoah National Park’s Central Region – about a pleasant 8 mile drive to the Thornton Gap entrance station.
The check-in was quick and our room was at a comfortable temperature upon entering. The room was clean although it was a candidate for some repairs. i.e. ripped curtains, paint touch-up.

Because we were planning on spending all of our time hiking in the Park, our room was essentially just a place to wash up and sleep. Our sleep was good as the bed was comfortable and the room’s air conditioning system worked fine. The continental breakfast each morning helped us get started. But that’s where the quality of the place ended for us.

Each time we went back to our room, once after breakfast and then once in the evening, our card key would never open the door. I would trek down to the office, they would re-program my card, I would go up to the room and try it, and it still wouldn’t work. Back down to the office to tell them and then they would come back to the room with me and open the door with their key. This went on during our entire stay. Hotel maintenance tried repairing the lock but to no avail. We took these episodes in stride, not getting frustrated until late in our stay. As mentioned earlier, we only needed to use the card keys just twice a day so it wasn’t as big an inconvenience as it could have been if we needed to access the room more often. We were never offered another room with a lock that worked, probably because all rooms may have been occupied. There was a full parking lot throughout the weekend. The desk clerk did mention that our account would be adjusted for the inconvenience.

The hotel’s next big downfall, even bigger than the malfunctioning card key, was that a hot shower was perhaps a 50-50 chance in the evening depending on the time and non-existent in the morning. This was not an isolated case with our room but a general problem throughout the complex as we learned through conversation with other guests. The desk clerk’s response to the lack of hot water was that everyone must have taken a shower at the same time.

Upon check-out there was no adjustment made to the account. When I questioned this to the desk clerk, who originally stated that there would be an adjustment, she reconsidered and decided not to charge me for the third night. This discount allowed us to leave more satisfied than we would have as we felt it was a fair trade off for the inconvenience. However, we would have preferred to have paid the original price and to have had hot water and access to our room when we wanted it. Overall, our stay was satisfactory as we experienced a good night’s sleep each night, but I would think twice before booking a stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Cardinal Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Hotel Laurance
Hotel Laurance
#3 of 9 in Luray

Been to Days Inn Luray Shenandoah? Share your experiences!