“Best I've ever seen!”

Luray Caverns
Ranked #4 of 31 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest cave in the Eastern U.S. where visitors can see such bizarre formations like the "Throne Room", "Giant's Hall", and "Fried Eggs".
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've seen quite a few caverns, but Luray continues to outshine them all. The only thing I DON'T like is that the groups are large, making it difficult for those in the back to hear the guide, plus it is a rushed tour. I'm sure this is a necessity to accommodate the gazillion people that visit Luray. Even still, it remains my favorite cavern.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,702)
All reviews
in 46 reviews
"rock formations"
in 45 reviews

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I loved visiting this venue. I love hearing about the evolution of the world and some of the science behind it and this place to me was amazing. To hear it has been in existence for thousands of years, the human remains found that are more than 700 years old, it is absolutely humbling to realize how small you and your life really are and how lucky you are to walk the planet at this point in time with the science we have to figure out how all this stuff.

Two gripes that are in my opinion no impact to the rating of this attraction but should be heeded by folks inside guided tour groups. English should be a per-requisite to visit. There were Asian kids in another tour group we passed a few times who didn't understand that you couldn't touch or lean on any of the formations. I heard the tour guide and members of the group yelling at these kids to get off of them more than once. If they did understand English and didn't care, this leads me to my next gripe. Parents visiting need to get control of their kids. There was a woman with two little kids in my tour group and she was letting one of her kids push a stroller with the other kid all over the place! Over everyone's feet, running people into the hand rails and the mother really didn't seem to care. This woman and her kids almost ruined the trip for me and I'm glad the caverns were so breathtaking that she did not.

Service members stationed in the NCR can visit their MWR for discounted tickets.

2  Thank Bill W
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I visited the caverns yesterday. This was our first time in any cavern, and we loved it. The views were breathtaking inside the cavern. It is pretty warm in the cavern, so we didn't need our sweaters and jackets. I spent more time taking pictures than following our tour guide. To compensate for the missed knowledge from the tour guide, I purchased a small book from the gift shop which gave information about the caverns and had some lovely photos.

The tour is approx 45 mins to 1 hour long. We were thinking that $24 is a bit pricey for visiting the caverns, but this ticket is valid for the car and carriage museum and also the valley museum. After visiting these 2 museums, I didn't feel that I paid too much.

Car and Carriage museum - this place has a good collection of many antique cars and carriages, and displays some interesting facts. Definitely worth a visit.

Valley museum - some nice articles and pictures mostly from Luray and Virginia! Really good.

2  Thank pixie4321
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is a self guided tour, there are information plaques to let you what certain areas are and a recorded tour that you listen to through headphones that you wear.