“Quite a cave”

Luray Caverns
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest cave in the Eastern U.S. where visitors can see such bizarre formations like the "Throne Room", "Giant's Hall", and "Fried Eggs".
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Learned much about the underground rock formations; The Dream Lake was spectacular.

The cavern organ was a very inspiring idea.

The War Memorial felt out of place :( Also, I would have wished for longer tours / free times for photo shooting, but given the number of visitors I understand the constraint.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,643)

Reviewed November 7, 2012

My family visits Luray about once a year. We pick the hottest day in the summer to travel over the mountain to enjoy the natural cool of the cave. My young kids really enjoy seeing all of the rock formations. I am taking my fourth grade class there on a field trip...tomorrow!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I went as a child, and of course it hasn't changed much. The guide was knowledgeable and humorous. The lighting was pretty. It is a little steep in places, and a bit of a hike for older people. It's very large and impressive. I believe it's one of the largest around. Nice gift shop and restrooms. Other attractions on the same property to explore.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Luray Caverns is an attraction close to the Skyline Drive in Virginia that is not to be missed. A nice hour-long guided tour meanders through beautifully kept caverns. I wondered if I would be as impressed with this place as I was a child, and no doubt about it, it remains as amazing to me today as it did 40 years ago. A truly maginificent gift of nature...

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Never thought these caverns would be as amazing as they are---figured it was more of a touristy type thing so I avoided it. Fortunately I finally visited. Kind of a once in a lifetime experience. A little expensive--not sure who gets the profits--but worth it. However, ALL of the attractions in this area throw in other things you pay for whether you want to see them or not, a maze or museum or something else totally unnecessary. If not for this, I would give it a 5-star review. Had a very good guide and small group, early October weekday.

1  Thank jform