“Spectacular!”

Luray Caverns
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest cave in the Eastern U.S. where visitors can see such bizarre formations like the "Throne Room", "Giant's Hall", and "Fried Eggs".
Clearwater, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Spectacular!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Having seen caves in many parts of the world, these are amazing! The tour takes one hour and we could have easily spent another hour to better examine these caves, the areas are named so appropriately the lightiing is wonderful, the reflection pool is so beautiful and the music played in the large open area was lovely showing amazing acoustics. Definitely worth a visit for all ages.

Visited October 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pennsylvania
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Enjoyable time at the caverns”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I visited Luray Caverns on a busy Saturday afternoon. There was a line of people waiting to buy tickets, but the line moved quickly. They took new groups into the caverns every 10 minutes or so. Our guide was very interesting and a pleasant fellow. He did a good job explaining what we were seeing and answering questions patiently. We also went into the car museum and found some interesting cars there from many years ago. I assumed it would be cool inside the caverns since they keep it at approximately 55 degrees, but I was sorry I wore a long sleeve shirt, as it actually was humid in there.

1 Thank LooneyIAm
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Luray Caverns, Luray, Virginia”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

There are 5-6 different caverns to visit within an hour of each other. Allow 1-1.5 hours to visit each plus travel time. It's fascinating to see the marvels of nature, even below the surface of the earth. No accessiblity for mobility-impaired folks due to the terrain.

Falls Church, Virginia, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth seeing, not a can't-miss”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I took our son and his friend (ages 6 and 5) this summer. I'll freely admit to enjoying the drive there and the grass maze more than the Cavern itself. My son would agree with me, but my wife and the friend enjoyed the Cavern most. Most kids that aren't old enough to appreciate geological wonders won't much out of this. Don't get me wrong - it is cool and interesting to wonder about the sense of awe when first discovered, but the tour gets dull (sorry) and monotonous 15 minutes in. No doubt, some will have more appreciation than others. The maze, however, is a good time for all ages (including grownups), so don't skip that when you go.

Cheers

Visited August 2012
ontario
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Well worth the detour from Washington DC!”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Driving from Ontario, Canada to Washington DC, we found this attraction as a "Further Afield". Its only approximately 90 minutes away! We were sold when we seen pictures of the cavern on the website. We drove straight to Luray and stayed in a bed and breakfast and arrived at the caverns mid morning. Easy to find and lots of parking! We were told the next tour was in 15 minutes. We took the time to browse the gift store and display in the lobby. The tour takes you down quite a large staircase (I did not see if there is accessibility for special needs). We were in awe!! The caverns are AMAZING!! My husband and I lagged behind to take pictures but beware the lights are obviously on a sensor and you can suddenly be in the dark if you lag too far back. Our guide seemed knowledgeable but not really engaging so we weren't really interested in listening to her. The crowd was quite large so being in the back it was actually hard to hear her anyway so we gave up trying. The tour lasts about an hour. It would have been nice to go at my own pace since the "Tour" really did nothing for us but I didn't really feel the time in there wasn't worth the money. I got some great pictures and had a wonderful time!
Included in the ticket is a car museum which is fantastic! It only took us about 15 minutes to walk through. The ticket also included a museum on the other side of the parking lot. I'm told they are adding to it but I'd say currently its OK.
We didn't do the maze or ropes but they looked fun!
I would highly recommend the caverns! It was well worth taking a day away from our Washington DC visit!