“Love Photographing Luray Caverns!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Luray Caverns
Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest cave in the Eastern U.S. where visitors can see such bizarre formations like the "Throne Room", "Giant's Hall", and "Fried Eggs".
Weaverville, North Carolina
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Love Photographing Luray Caverns!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was the third time I have been to the caverns...every time I get a better camera, I keep coming back for more! Luray Caverns is definitely worth seeing if you love nature. The tour is around an hour and involves probably at least a mile of walking. I came later in the day this time and the crowd was bigger than in the past, so I think it may be better to come earlier in the morning if you don't like crowds. I know that some of the other reviews mentioned audio headsets, but every time I have been there has been a real tour guide. I mostly hung toward the back of the group so I could snap some shots with my camera. The tour always moves a little faster than I would like for photography, so I would recommend bracketing (long exposure) and a tripod for the serious photographer to get the most out of it. Tickets may seem a little pricey, but it was definitely worth it for me....and the amount of lighting, etc. they have put into the caves is amazing.

A few tips: wear tennis shoes or other sturdy, non-slip shoes, as some parts of the caverns are still actively growing and the ground can be wet and slick in places. Don't hang back too far- the lights do automatically shut off after a certain amount of time, so be sure to stay with your group!

Visited June 2011
2 Thank shadamai

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 236 helpful votes
“Yes, it's a tourist trap, but a Magnificent One!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

If you're traveling I-81 through Virginia and have even a slight bit of time for sightseeing, that time should be spent at Luray Caverns.
Like me, you might be a bit put off by the many billboards and the cattle-herding ticket selling, but once inside, you will be nothing but impressed.
The caverns are cool and dark, yet also light and reflective. The "Stalagpipe Organ" is a masterful feat of humanity, but pales in comparison to the collection of earth formations from thousands (millions?) of years. The guides are there to guide you, but also allow you to dither or rush along as you wish.
A wonderful way to spend an afternoon...especially if it's a hot one.

Visited June 2011
5 Thank gotarheels
Wilmington, Delaware
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Good but not great....can do once”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

Caverns and formations were magnificent but it wears on you after a while. The $23 they charge for one person is too high. Like the other reviewer mentioned, go early in the day to avoid the lines - particularly on holidays.

1 Thank NaveenNJ
Greater Washington DC Area
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Go early to avoid the crowds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

We visited Luray Caverns over Memorial Day weekend. We arrived soon after it opened for the day a little after 9am. When we arrived there were only a few other cars in the lot and we purchased a combination ticket to do the Maze, visit caverns, and see the antique cars. The Maze was a lot of fun for the kids -- they are encouraged to look for "goals" and get stamps for a card that they receive as they enter the Maze. My husband and I also enjoyed the Maze because it required some thought to get through. We went through the car museum next, which has just about the right number of attractions to keep the kids interested. We entered the caverns at around 11am without any wait outside. The tour inside took about an hour and was very enjoyable. When we opted to have lunch in the cafe on site, we saw the line for the entrance to the caverns begin to snake around the building, and the parrking lot was very full. When we left around 1pm, the lines had tripled in size. Definitely go early in the morning to avoid the lines.

7 Thank Abc123XYZ3
New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A breathless amazing view of nature”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

The visit to the caverns were amazing. Nice and open. Views were magnificent. You go into this underground castle made from stalagtites and stalagmites. Mirror pools of water that you can see a perfect reflection of the ceiling. Easy to walk through with some stairs and ramps. Wear comfortable shoes with some traction. We went midweek and before the summer rush. Highly recommend that time of year because staff commented that the summer is very packed with people and I could see where it could impact your tour of the caverns in a negative way. If you get a chance there is a Country Cafe with an amazing pulled pork sandwich for prices easy on the wallet. Car and Wagon Museum on site is included and worth seeing,

3 Thank sharbet