My husband and I stayed here last weekend when we visiting Sequoia National Park. The location is good -- only a short drive from the park's entrance -- and they were one of the few lodges in the area that still had rooms available for our spur-of-the-moment trip.
I should have been tipped off that something was wrong when I noticed blood on my pillow when I got up in the morning. I certainly hadn't seen it there the night before, and I wasn't aware of any cuts on my face. But we were excited to get going with the day, which was spent on a very pleasant hike in the park.
The second night, I didn't see any blood, and I chalked up the experience to the fact that the place is, after all, pretty grungy. We had a good rate ($90 / night) so I didn't register a complaint. Then, a couple days after we returned home, my husband and I both started noticing what looked like bites all over our bodies. He was reacting worse than me. The distribution was on places that would have touched a bed, and his immediate thought was "bedbugs." We tore apart our bed at home, and didn't find anything.
Then he did some research and found out that the appearance of bedbug bites can often be delayed by several days. A little more research turned up the fact that we weren't the first travelers to notice bedbugs at the Western Holiday Lodge. We put two and two together with the appearance of blood on my pillow, and we're 99% sure that we were bitten up pretty badly while staying at the Lodge. (If you squish the bug while it's biting, it will ooze blood onto a pillow or sheets.)
We've never been bitten by bedbugs before, so we didn't think to pull up the mattress and look for the actual bugs. Others have done this as the Western Holiday Lodge, and there is actually photographic evidence if you look through the Traveler Photos.
In short, don't stay here if you prefer not to be bitten by bedbugs, and hope not to take bedbugs home with you.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelsClick so you can book your Western Holiday Lodge Three Rivers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Western Holiday Lodge Three Rivers Hotel Three Rivers
- Western Holiday Lodge 3 Rivers
- Western Holiday Three Rivers
- Western Holiday Hotel Three Rivers