WINNER WONDERLAND

The River Inn & Cabins
Ranked #10 of 11 Three Rivers B&B and Inns
“do NOT stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Manager gave our room to someone else even though he admitted we had a reservation. After seeing the office, I didn't want to stay there anyway. it was full of dead bugs and dirt. He couldn't give us a room so we had to drive 40 miles back to Visalia. Manager was inept and unhelpful. Horrible start to our vacation. We never got to the room obviously, but the other reports of filthy rooms with dead bugs and dirt ring true for me after seeing the grounds and the office. Parking was also pretty bad.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank y6y6y6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

After much deliberating I decided to book two rooms here in July. Having booked the rooms I realised I had booked the wrong dates, contacted booking.com who tried to deal with this for me, after much debate they advised me via email that manager Mr Bani had agreed to change the dates to the original dates. I called the river inn to confirm and was told that this was ok and I would get email confirmation. A few days pass and I hear nothing, I email and receive no response, I call and leave a message, no response, I email again no response. I call again and leave another message and guess what no response. Finally one day before I am due to arrive I call again and speak to Mr Bani and lo and behold he denies all knowledge of any conversation, email, even though I have it in writing from booking.com. I would suggest that that this hotel is the worst place I have ever dealt with, the communication is non existent, the manager cannot be relied on and has the lowest level of integrity of anyone I have ever met. I thank myself that TA exists so I can share my experience. Stay away, go to a decent place where you can rely on a room and not the River inn or Mr Bani. Lastly please read my other reviews and you will see I travel a lot. I hope Mr Bani replies to this as it will the only time he has responded in every attempt I have made to contact him. I will be taking this up with booking.com on my return to the UK.

Room Tip: Go to a decent place where they honour their commitments.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Colin S

Travelers are raving about these Three Rivers hotels

baton rouge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

we did a last minute stop here on our way to Sequoia and King's Canyon N.P. where we had reservations for the next two nights...the manager was very nice, gave us a good rate at $69, and even offered to discount to $65 for the second night if we stayed.

the only drawback was that they don't have their breakfast onsite and we had to go back to Western ? motel about 5-6 miles for the breakfast...all in all, not a big deal for us.

no cabins...they are owned by someone else

very good management...blessings

Room Tip: second floor room...we had #6 on the end closest to a neat bbq and small grocery next door
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ldf123
Santa Fe Springs, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

After 3 days of camping and motorcycle riding through King's Canyon and Sequoia, we needed a shower and a good night's rest before heading home. We had reservations at the River Inn and Cabins and got there around 4:30 PM. After a friendly greeting in the office we settled into room 2 on the floor where we could park our motorcycles directly in front of our room. The room was immaculately clean, with all of the essentials for the tired traveler. After hot showers and clean clothes my buddy and I were ready to head out for dinner. When we returned someone in a Ford Ranger had taken our parking space but we were still able to park close enough to keep an eye on things. We spent a couple of hours sitting on the chairs near the water fountain out front and talked until the eyelids got heavy. The beds were very comfortable with substantial pillows instead of those motel six dishrags. Even though we had people above us and on both sides we didn't hear a sound all night. Even cars going by on the highway were barely noticeable. It was a very pleasant stay in a very clean, comfortable room and then we even got a small breakfast. We found a substantial small "shopping bag" (you know the old fashioned ones with the jute handles?) that had a small can of apple juice, one of orange juice, a lemon muffin and a blueberry muffin, a banana and an orange. It was a great snack to start the day, along with 2 cups of coffee each. We hit the road in a great mood and ready to ride. I can't wait to go back with my wife in the near future.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong here. Even with people above and both sides it was quiet and com...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Businesswaldo
Lakewood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

Since we drove in from LA area we knew we'd be arriving late, but were still greeted after hours with a smile! Room was clean and comfortable. Quaint and quiet. Very convenient location for short drive to Sequoia National Park. Staff was very friendly and made terrific recommendations of what to see in Sequoia, and invited us to come back again soon. Breakfast delivered to the front door was a nice touch. We'd definitely stay here again, and hopefully next time in one of the river-front cabins. Travel tip: don't trust your GPS. It was late and dark when we made the trip, and the GPS ended the destination too soon - we thought we missed it. Staff at hotel can provide better directions if needed!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Erin S
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed three days and two nights at the River Oak cabin in the River Inn, and it was great! The cabin was small, but it was large enough for two people. The bed was comfortable, and everything looked clean. The kitchen is small, but well equipped with stove, fridge, microwave, and dishes. Prep areas for food are limited to a table outside on the deck or a small table next to the bed. The deck outside was really nice, private, and the hot tub was great to relax after a day of hiking and driving. Your backyard is literally the river bed, and you can hear the river loudly, which was nice.

Overall, we really enjoyed staying at the River Oak cabin. And cooking our own meals saved us a lot in food. I would definitely recommend it and I would stay here again on future trips. I think the negative reviews are from people who are way too picky and are expecting a high-end luxury resort experience.

The good stuff:
- Cozy and comfortable small cabin.
- Equipped with all the luxuries, including a hot tub on the deck
- Friendly and helpful owners/staff
- Very close to Sequoia park entrance
- Right on the river
- Well kept and very clean
- Their website portrayed a very accurate and informative description about the cabin, I was very pleased upon arrival.

My only complaints (which are very insignificant):
- The kitchen has very little food prep and counter space areas
- The shower head in the bathroom is a bit low, tall people will have to lean down
- You have to pay for WiFi, and we were told that it's only good for checking emails and web surfing, but too slow to upload photos or download content.
- There's absolutely no cell phone reception as soon as you hit the lake, unless you have AT&T, so do everything you have to do before you pass the lake.
- The deck has only one dim light, which made it a bit hard to grill in the dark both evenings
- The AC is a wall unit, so be aware that it'll be a bit loud if you have it running all night.
- You won't be able to sleep in because it gets really bright early in the morning (which might be a good thing)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheeGrCERO
New Bern, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We had planned to camp in the park, but needed a break, and found this little place nearby. It looked a little iffy on the outside, despite all the nice plantings, and we asked to see a room. A staff member showed us the room we could use, and was very helpful in pointing things out to us. The room felt a little small, but that could have been the furniture. The TV cabinet held not only the TV but the refrigerator and microwave (it also had drawers for other things). Everything was clean and looked as if it had been recently remodeled. The bed was comfortable, and it was so peaceful that, after checking in, I immediately took a nap (and slept well that night). The only problem we had was that they were fully booked the next night, and we had to go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
John Muir Lodge
John Muir Lodge
#3 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Comfort Inn & Suites Sequoia Kings Canyon

Been to The River Inn & Cabins? Share your experiences!