“Cold and old” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sequoia Village Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Three Rivers
Sequoia Village Inn
You added Sequoia Village Inn to your Saves list
45971 Sierra Drive, At Entrance to Sequoia National Park, Three Rivers, CA 93271   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Three Rivers B&B and Inns
Warsaw, Poland
“Cold and old”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I feel mean writing this review because the staff were lovely but our overall experience was not good.

The pros - although we arrived late, about 8.15pm, we were welcomed warmly. We were advised about the construction on the road into the Park (vehicles were only allowed through on the hour so you had to time your drive well) and were told about an excellent tour that would allow us to see the main sights without using our own car. It sounded good and the member of staff rang and organised it on the spot for us.

The kitchen was well equipped and had fresh coffee beans and a filter machine.

We could hear the river at night, which was a lovely sound.

The cons - we stayed in Blossom, a one bedroom cabin for two people. Although the heater had been turned on in advance, the whole cabin was very cold. The heater blew out hot air incredibly loudly so it was a choice of cold or noise. It worked effectively in the bedroom, but the heat never quite made it to the bathroom and kitchen. Morning showers were brisk.

The bathroom was clean but the bedroom/sitting room was very dusty. I pulled up the Venetian blinds to see the view properly and found huge cobwebs and thick dust (which we cleaned). The decor was as expected and quite charming and old-fashioned, but ornaments difficult to clean, like a basket of dried flowers, should either be dusted or discarded.

Outside there was a little terrace with well used and not very clean table, chairs and BBQ. I had pictured sitting there with a glass of wine (it was warm during the day) but the terrace was immediately next to the car park, so not scenic and very public. A family in a cabin nearby with a balcony had a super view and enjoyed their meals outdoors so this is just a criticism of Blossom rather than a general one.

It was important for us to have wifi - and another reason for booking here - but the advertised service was woeful. We had to keep going to the office to get it reset as it regularly stopped working.

During a fortnight's holiday this was one of the more expensive places we stayed, at $112 a night. We'd booked it for its charm and location but after staying in a number of places in two other National Parks, we reckoned it was the least comfortable and worst value for money of them all.

Room Tip: Go for a cabin with a balcony for privacy and views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LyndaMB

Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

The inn is a series of cabins and chalets tastefully arranged with beautiful views of trees and mountains. They're located about 1/4 mile from the entrance to Sequoia National Park. The beautiful and serene Kaweah River is steps away, so you can hear it from your balcony. My friends and I stayed at the Falcon and we truly loved it. The kitchen is large with cooking appliances and a medium size refrigerator. You can also barbecue outside. The view from the balcony is magnificent. Our only regret is the fact that we didn't stay longer.

Pros: A very beautiful and peaceful experience overall. Close to the park entrance.

Cons: I really can't think of anything negative to point out other than your mobile signal won't reach there, but internet access is available and a public phone is also available in the parking lot.

Advice: Stay at least a couple of nights. Enjoy the river, but be weary of swimming in it due to strong currents. Go to the restaurant across the street for drinks and asked to be sit in the balcony so you can enjoy the river view.

Room Tip: Choose one with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank zephyr76
Petaluma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Stayed here with my husband and our engaged Welsh friends during the Sequoia National Park leg of our road trip. So pleasantly surprised. The Inn is actually a series of cottages offering various styles of accommodations, so we stayed in the Forest Lodge, which is actually the first floor of a two story cabin. The Forest Lodge was a two bedroom, one bath cottage with a full kitchen, dining room, and living room complete with a fireplace.

When we drove up to the cottage we were impressed with how homey and cozy it was. And cozy not meaning small in this sense, but comfortable and unpretentious. There was a gas grill just outside and a nice place with chairs and a table to eat alfresco if you want to. The location was perfect, as we were across the road from the river, and there was a pool a few yards down a side path.

We drove a few minutes back down the road to pick up some food to grill at the town grocery store (Village Market?) and dined on steak and chicken by candlelight outside in the balmy summer night. We slept well and woke up not wanting to really leave.

If you are looking for an affordable place to stay near Sequoia, someplace comfortable yet rustic and beautiful, I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: The Forest Chalet is right off the parking lot, has a full kitchen and it's own gas grill outsid...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank giveitagonow
Laguna Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at the Sequoia Village Inn. They have a AAA discount. We stayed in the Falcon Room. One bedroom with king size bed, bathroom (water pressure was not that great in the shower), full kitchen (stocked with dishes and cookware), dining/living room and private patio. The room was spacious and clean. There was internet and cable tv, but no phone in the room (and there is no cell service in the area). They do have a phone in the parking area you can use free of charge. The Inn is located a few minutes from the entrance to Sequoia National Park and about 90mins from Mineral King. You could hear some street noise (particularly in the morning) since the Inn sits right on the main road, but it was fine with the windows closed. The room was lovely and the staff was friendly and helpful, we would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JandK2003
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I've made it a point to consult tripadvisor.com each and every time I travel now, even added the app to my droid. Once again, I was completely satisfied! After spending my first day of ten day journey through California in LA, I was happy to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city and into a quieter, more relaxed setting. I drove into Three Rivers about 11 am after spending an uneventful night in Bakersfield the night before and found the Sequoia Village Inn nestled on a slight hill just past the beautiful and historic Pumpkin Hollow bridge. I had planned on spending the whole day hiking in Sequoia National Park and after grabbing a delicious sandwich from Sierra Subs and Salads, I thought it best to attempt to at least try to check-in early just in case I didn't make it out of the park in time. Check-in for Sequoia Village Inn was across the street at the Buckeye Tree Lodge and was simple, courteous and not a second thought was given to the fact that I was basically checking in 5 hours early. After grabbing my key, I headed up the road to find the entrance to Sequoia NP not even a mile away, loved that!

I spent the next seven hours captivated by the splendid landscapes, sounds, and of course by the mightiest of all living trees, the Sequoias! There are not really very many words that can describe the world's largest (by volume) trees, you absolutely have to see them for yourself to truly appreciate their majesty. Even better, try hugging one, it's just awe-inspiring and if their height doesn't humble you, perhaps their age will.

I spent the next 5 hours hiking various trails, taking picture after picture until I came upon an old fallen Sequoia that was just begging to be climbed. It was roughly 4:30pm and the crowds had died down significantly, although I could hear the occasional screams of small children near the General Sherman Tree. However, just being there, in that enchanted forest, made the screams seem like they were a thousand miles away. Upon exploring the tree a little, I discovered a small recessed section that seemed to call to me to toss my backpack down and take a nap, so I happily laid my belongings to rest and allowed the tree to cradle me to sleep for a short, restful slumber. Thinking back, I'm all but certain that was probably the most amazing 20 minute nap I've ever had the privilege of taking.

At about 6:00pm, the sun was beginning to fade behind the western hills and I decided to make my way back down towards Three Rivers and call it a day, and what a day it had been! The down from the groves took about an hour and I pulled up to Blossom Cabin about 7pm. The lighting was perfect and I immediately felt at ease driving up the tiny, beautifully landscaped drive. I was able to park directly in front of the cabin, making it super easy to unload all my travel gear. The cabin from the outside was super cute, a small table and chairs was placed outside and a tub with what I assumed to be firewood or charcoal was right next to the main cabin door. I was so happy to walk inside and find a well appointed room with queen size bed, chair, armoire, luggage rack and two night-stands. The bathroom has a stand-up shower with soap, shampoo, and bodywash stuck conveniently to the shower wall and plenty of hot water to rest and soothe your aching muscles. Directly outside the bathroom is a small two-seat table with a window looking out onto the front patio. There is also a small kitchenette with a door leading out to the same patio and parking area, super convenient if you plan on staying for a few days and want to bring your own food. I didn't get to take advantage of this feature, however, I did use the fresh coffee bean and grinder to brew a fresh pot of coffee the morning of my departure. I slept like a baby that night with the windows open, not even bothered by the music that played from the restaurant across the street. It helped that one, I like jazz and two, the band was pretty decent.

Don't forget to check out the grounds of the Buckeye Tree Lodge across the street. You can walk down to the Kaweah River and enjoy the beautiful scenery and if you're there in May when the gardens are in full bloom, it's beautiful! Definitely picture worthy!

This place gets my vote on every level, perfect location, great price, great nights sleep, super clean, it was just me but the Blossom cabin would be perfect for a couple that wanted the peace and intimacy of the little Blossom cabin just outside one of the most amazing places in the world. I would definitely recommend the Sequoia Village Inn!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank n_esmonde
Cloudcroft, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed here for two nights in the Dogwood Chalet. It had two bath rooms and a kitchen with a grill out front so we could cook our own meals. It was clean, quiet and comfortable. We toured Sequoia Park the second day and were pleased with the accomodations as well as the Village Market which had a wonderful meat market and all of the supplies we needed for our trip. The river runs right beside the property and it is very peaceful.

Room Tip: Dennis was very helpful choosing the right accomodations for our group
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank NewMexicoGrammer
Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

We had just flown into LA from Australia and driven up Three Rivers so were looking to have a drink agood meal and fall asleep.The outdoor resturant was fantastic with river flowing right beside us,Rooms were quaint and we had a great sleep.Good starting point to explore Sequoia Park the next day.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sierra Lodge
#5 of 6 in Three Rivers
3.0 of 5 stars 228 reviews
Comfort Inn & Suites Sequoia Kings Canyon

Been to Sequoia Village Inn? Share your experiences!