“Absolute paradise, just couldn't be better”

Rio Sierra Riverhouse
Ranked #2 of 11 Three Rivers B&B and Inns
los angeles
“Absolute paradise, just couldn't be better”
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We were going to stay at the Buckeye Tree Lodge from a friend's old recommendation. Luckily they were full, so I discovered Rio Sierra - thank heavens!
This place is just a dream, everything is just so perfectly put together, with real care and great taste. It's an old house that's been split up into suites, right on the river.
Ours was the smallest unit, and I found it perfectly suited for us: spacious, with a private deck facing the river, lots of natural light and beautifully furnished with vintage and modern stuff and a super comfy bed plus sofa, tv, even a microwave, fridge and coffee maker. You get all the pricey hotel mod-cons but without the drab, impersonal, poor taste. And with total privacy, away from the crowds. And really nice details, like cabanas by the river. To me, this is true luxury. I've stayed at 5-star hotels, both in the US and overseas, without finding this level of comfort or peace.
Mars, the owner, is very hands-on and watches every detail - every night she lights a fire by the river, and lanterns you can take to your own little private spot. She's also super friendly and helpful.
Extremely highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank carina.f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Camarillo CA
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I was looking for a place to stay by the Sequoias for my birthday. I did a search on Tripadvisor and after reading the reviews of the Rio Sierra decided it was worth checking out, and AM I GLAD WE DID!

We stayed in the Master Suite......it is beautiful!!!! The suite is very spacious, the decor is high end rustic, and the views were breathtaking! From the suite you could hear AND see the Kaweah River. I heard some noise, peeked out, and saw white water river rafters cruising right by!

Margaret ( Mars ) was the ultimate host, taking care of everything from the flowers, wine, and chocolates my wife had ordered as a surprise for me, to her bringing us a lantern as we sat by the nightly bonfire. Growing up in Northern New Jersey we used to have bonfires at the hill we used to sleigh ride at...it brought back alot of great memories. There are cabana's right by the river that the guests can use free of charge.

We even chatted with the weekend security guard Sean. (nothing to worry about, but Mars has a great location and want to keep the non-paying guests off of the property )

Mars recommended dinner at the Gateway Restaurant which worked out perfectly. You can sit on a outdoor patio that overlooks the river, occasionally Bear can be seen there.

Did I say Bear? We saw one on our way to hike Moro Rock, a beautiful young male having fun eating meadow grass and climbing on a fallen log.

One other detail on the INN....the bathroom in the Master Suite is wonderful, nothing like showering and being able to see the mountains and river!

The porch area wraps around the Inn, you can sit, enjoy a cup of coffee and listen to the river in the am, one of life'e simple treasures.

Alot of times I question reviews, but every positive comment on previous posts was 100 % accurate, you can't go wrong at the Rio Sierra!

Thanks to Mars for providing such a beautiful Inn, we WILL be back time and time again!

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, you will just have to go stay at the Rio Sierra and find out for yourself!!!

Scott Camarillo CA

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SNORKNUT
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 13, 2009

This place is just beyond imagination. Mars, the property manager is by far the best I have seen so far and I rent houses a lot these days.
Living at the property was even better than the national park. There is a bonfire every night, BBQ grills available. There is on BBQ grill very close to the river. During this time of the year at night there is ankle deep water, its fun to BBQ in the river....
The cabanas are the best place to relax with blankets near fire. We used to come back from the park early to hang out at the property.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Lakewood, CA
Reviewed November 22, 2008

Can't stop thinking about our wonderful stay at the Rio Sierra. Once you step behind the blue gate and enter the property, it's pure beauty! we just cant stop thinking of our lovely weekend. We stayed in the River Studio with a wonderful view of the Kaweah River and have booked the Master Suite for a girls trip in January. Everything was "PERFECT" from the Fire that was lit each night, massage down by the river and not to mention the great conversations we had with Margaret. Just to give you an example, it was our 19th wedding anniversary and i made a comment to my husband about not bringing wine glasses for our wine, once we returned from dinner there were two wine glasses waiting for us in our room, what a thoughtful touch. That's what you'll experience when you stay at the Rio Sierra it's like home away from home. I can go on... and on..., cannot wait to get back there.

We highly recommend retreating to Rio Sierra, you will not be dissapointed!

We send our sincere blessings and much success Margaret!

Angel and Celia

• Liked — Peaceful, Quiet, Scenery
  • Disliked — Loved everything!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank llthngs
Sierra Madre, CA
Reviewed November 10, 2008

My wife and I took our very first trip to Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Park in July 2008 and after spending a couple of nights in Cedar Grove we took a recommendation from Diana Jules (a realtor in Three Rivers) to stay at a new place in town called the “Rio Sierra Riverhouse”. This charming place was a residence that has been recently converted into a cozy inn that has one of THE best places on the Kaweah River (middle fork). The water in the river was pool temperature (unbelievable) and with the large crystal clear pools in the river to swim in and delightful water falls to watch and listen to it was truly an experience that we had never had at a place of lodging. We loved Three Rivers and Rio Sierra Riverhouse so much we came back a few weeks later over the Labor Day weekend and have now been back two other times and it is only October! I have stayed in all three rooms which are priced for all budget levels and each has its own charm. If you are planning a trip up to see the largest tree in the world, General Sherman, in the Sequoia National Forest you need to spend some time on the river and in the river at the Rio Sierra Riverhouse.

• Liked — Location on the river
  • Disliked — No ice machine
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 21, 2008

We stayed in this boutique beauty for a couple of days and wished we could have stayed longer, just to hang out there and enjoy the space. You can tell that thee rooms have been put together with love for interior design and comfort. The various chairs and cabanas outdoors overlooking the river are inviting to just sit, read a book or stare out at the magnificent surroundings. The campfire by the river tops it all, instead of going out that evening we decided to get some pizza, a bottle of wine and site in the lounge chairs by the fire. Bottom line - if you need to get away, long for nature and beauty, or just want to see the Sequoia park and need a good place to stay, I can highly recommend this place!

Stayed October 2008
Orange County, CA
Reviewed September 28, 2008

Peaceful, gorgeous, relaxing, luxurious, unique, adventurous, accommodating, romantic....if you're looking for any of these adjectives to describe your next getaway, look no further. You have found just the right spot. The Rio Sierra Riverhouse is the most amazing place I've ever stayed and I've stayed many places. As a "picky" guest, I can say that this place doesn't miss a beat and never had me asking for anything. It is all just right within your grasp. The Rio Sierra Riverhouse is perfect for a wide array of guest, no matter what your reason is for visiting Three Rivers. You can stay here just to enjoy the clean and peaceful accommodations in between trips to the Sequoia National Park, which is only a short six mile drive up the road. You can stay here and never leave the property. You can lay all day inside one of the adorable cabanas, reading a book and listening to the river. For those who love to actually get in the water, like myself, feel free. This location has one of the best swimming holes you can find on the river. Jump right in and splash around to cool down, then climb right out and sun bathe on a large rock. You will feel at one with nature in a way that is almost impossible to find these days. During the seasons where the river is flowing strong, be sure to ask the friendly and helpful staff where the calmest place to swim is, as the currents can be strong upstream. I highly recommend a room with the river view because you can crack your window at night and have the river put you right to sleep! No matter what your motivation for traveling to Three Rivers, this is the place to stay. You won't be disappointed!

• Liked — Every little detail! The DVD Player and the cable tv were a nice added bonus to the room.
  • Disliked — There isn't one thing I can think of to complain about...which is rare!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Three Rivers
Lazy J Ranch-Americas Best Value Inn
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
#5 of 6 in Three Rivers
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer Family Camp
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer...
#2 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Wuksachi Lodge
Wuksachi Lodge
#1 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Best Western Exeter Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites Sequoia Kings Canyon

Been to Rio Sierra Riverhouse? Share your experiences!