“Warning! Not what it seems like on the internet.”

Gateway Restaurant and Lodge
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed here for a family trip to Sequoia. Looked good on the internet, but when we got there it was terrible. Rooms are old. Shower wouldn't drain. A guy tried to plunge it and left, never came back. Couldn't find anyone it the morning to check out. Maybe they were prejudice, or just didn't care because they had my money already. Restaurant was expensive and mediocre at best. Family still razzes me about it. Could have stayed at a AAA rated place next door, if I had known. Don't waste your time.

Room Tip: Pick the AAA rated motel next door.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank T Y
travelers1954, Owner at Gateway Restaurant and Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

We understand your concerns. We have just completed a $100,000 renovation of all of our rooms. Floors, ceilings, walls, sinks, counter tops, art, fixtures and even light switched and plugs. The Gateway was originally built in the 1920's and prior owners did only what they could to keep things going. My wife, Susan has gracefully redecorated all of our rooms and we welcome your return visit. In fact, since you were so displeased I would kindly offer you a free night stay during your next visit. just email me at info@gateway-sequoia.com. Our rooms are now the nicest and newest in the whole Sequoia National Park area.
As far as our food, I don't know of a place where you can get a better steak with or without the majestic views from our dining room or river terrace.

There are newer reviews for Gateway Restaurant and Lodge

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We ended up at the Gateway when, thanks to Obamacare, the Sequoia National Park was shut and we could not get in to the lodge we had booked in the park. Glenn saved our bacon, and we had one of the best nights in our 3 week trip to the States. Admittedly the rooms are not the Bellagio, but Glenn's hospitality was outstanding. The meal he prepared was absolutely top class and the bar was one of the best stocked I have seen. A musical soiree followed with Glenn on the pianola and the whole bar in good voice. I would go back without hesitation, and recommend it to anyone who likes a fun evening and excellent value

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Richard R
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The gateway lodge is a great relaxing place to stay and eat. We
stayed in the honeymoon cabin #6 which had a large patio facing
the beautiful river. The room had refrigerator, microwave, air
conditioning, coffee maker, hair dyer and sauna (we did not need
sauna in August). I could check my email with their Free Wifi and
watch cable on the flat screen TV. Our little dog, Lucy was
welcome, because the lodge is pet friendly. The staff was very
friendly and made you feel like family.
We ate at the restaurant, where my wife had the best New
York Steak ever. The steak was tender and covered with delicious
peppercorn wine sauce and mushrooms. I had the excellent shrimp
scampi. Our table had an awesome view of the river. Very
romantic!.
The lodge was 3 minutes to the Sequoia national park, where
we saw crystal cave and 3 breath taking water falls near the
cave entrance. The next day we visited the General Sherman
tree, it is among the tallest, widest and longest-lived of all
trees on the planet. The final day we floated on the river on
our inner tube. The Gateway lodge and restaurant gets 5 stars.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pete w
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We just returned from a 12 day trip to California (San Francisco, San Jose, Sequoia, Yosemite, Tahoe and Napa). We planned to stay 2 days at the Gateway but it was a dump - no cell phone service, no internet service, no land line phone in the room - and NO STAFF OR MANAGEMENT present from 10pm - 10am! The only way to get a "breathtaking view" of the river was to walk behind the lodge restaurant through a pile of smelly trash and trash cans - it was gross. The small window a/c had a very tough time keeping our room under 80 degrees. The food was horrible - my entire group agreed this place was the worst lodging and food of the entire trip. We left after one day and forfeited our next day charge (even though the staff told us we would get a refund). We loved California but I made a big mistake when i booked here - would have been better off at the Bates Motel.

Room Tip: Go 20 miles east, west, south or north
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank WS588
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Gateway Lodge is not fit for humans. It should be condemned. It was the most disgusting room I have ever stayed in. The room had a collection of furniture that must of been retrieved from a landfill. Dirty blankets, refrigerator not defrosted, no shower pressure, no chair at writing desk. The patio consisted of a filthy plastic resin table and dirty cushions on the chairs. There were discarded beer bottles from the previous guests and cigarette butts on the ground. The A/C sounded like a freight train coming through the room. The toilet when flushed would shoot water from the side of the tank onto the side wall. There was no customer service. We had to check-in at the restaurant and the bar maid threw the key on the bar at us. I refused to eat at the restaurant.

Room Tip: Any place but Gateway
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anthonejohn
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Ate here after receiving a recommendation from the staff at the Comfort inn & Suites. Picked an outside table with a River View. It was very nice until it got dark and the large lights were turned on that attracted every bug in the area. I guess the plastic chairs should have been a good indicator of what was to come.

The menu is overpriced for what you get. My wife had the rib-eye special at $35 and I had a sirloin for somewhere in the upper $20's. The service was polite and expedient and, at times, a little too friendly. For me, good service is hot food and keeping my glass filled without me having to look for someone and the wait staff being quiet and expedient.

The food arrived and presentation was nice. The outdoor environment caused the food to quickly cool and about halfway through our meal, we were eating cold steak and potatoes. The bugs just added to the issues and we quickly found a lot of grissle in the meat. Final tab was for $80+ and definitely not worht it. I would recommend the pizza joint a few miles back up the road towards Threee Rivers - who can mess up a chesse pizza, right???

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank H_M42141
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I decided to ride up to Three Rivers for breakfast from Visalia. Really glad we did... Found the Gateway Restaurant open at about 9:30 for their Champagne Sunday Brunch. Food was great with substantial portions. All the Champagne you want with very attentive waitresses. We sat outside on the huge side porch overlooking the river. We want to go back next weekend!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wuksachi Lodge
Wuksachi Lodge
#1 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer Family Camp
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer...
#3 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Lazy J Ranch-Americas Best Value Inn
John Muir Lodge
John Muir Lodge
#2 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Comfort Inn & Suites Sequoia Kings Canyon

Been to Gateway Restaurant and Lodge? Share your experiences!