“close by & convenient”

Dining options: Breakfast
Lincoln, Nebraska
“close by & convenient”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Good basic mom-n-pop local diner, easy to get to and able to fill your belly. Burgers big as the Nebraska plains.

Visited July 2012

Gering, Nebraska
“Small Town Cafe”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This is the kind of diner you love to go to over and over. You get to know the workers and everyone is family. The 'regulars' all keep up with each other, and everyone has very distinctive personalities. Oh, did I mention the food it good? Standard cafe fare Homemade Cinnamon rolls (Made on Monday gone by Tuesday) and the best fresh homemade pie you have tasted in a long time.

Visited July 2012
Denver
“Food Average”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I wanted to like this place. It was right across the street from our hotel. We went into the bar first to have some drinks. Old looking like the west so the atmosphere was nice. The bartender was very friendly and the locals started talking to us right away. After about an hour we went into the restaurant and was disappointed. The decor was very outdated and not in keeping with log cabin look. The waitress was nice but the food was just average. Little on the greasy side and just like diner food. If I could find no place else to eat I guess I would eat here again. The bar is a fun place for a drink though.

• Visited July 2012
Springfield, Illinois
“less than expected”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

First off, we waited over 10 minutes for someone to take our order. Other people who were in before us, same story and they almost walked out. The waitress showed up just in time.
I went in expecting "home style" food because that's what the sign says.
The salad bar was ok, except for the mushy cucumber salads. There were 2 kinds of cuke salads and both of them seem old and mushy. I would suggest that they reduce the number of "jello salads" and puddings, and try adding fresh vegetables like peas, onions, bell peppers, radishes, etc.
I ordered the special, "chicken fried chicken". It was obviously pre-made, frozen breaded patties from a supplier. That's not "home style" to me. But the mashed potatoes seemed like home made. Too bad they were almost cold, as was everything else.
I think the waitress was overwhelmed, because they may not expect as many people on a Wednesday night. In all fairness, we were on a bus tour, so many of us went to the Log Cabin. Not all at once in a group though. We were staggered.

This place could make some small changes like breading their own chicken breast, and making the salad bar fresh and it would make a big difference. Don't they know that it's cheaper to make fries from fresh potatoes, instead of the frozen "curly fries"??
Maybe other dishes are truly home made, but mine sure wasn't.
A little fresh paint would help too.....paint is cheap.

• Visited July 2012
Seattle Washington
“Step into the Wild West”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The Log Cabin Restaurant is a real log cabin on M Street. That "M" must stand for Monument for it's close to the Scotts Bluff National Monument and across the street from the Monument Inn where we stayed. My nephew, who lives in Gering, suggested we meet there for breakfast. He ordered the "special" yet ate it so fast I didn't notice what it was but he said it was good. My friend had "good coffee" and it wasn't Starbucks. There is no Starbucks in Gering or Scottsbluff.

I'd already had breakfast so didn't eat. But what a charming place to visit if only to see! There's a full-size carved wooden Indian upon entry. Sitting in the comfortable booth I noticed on the wall were barbwire types, deer heads with antlers, Charles Russell prints, memorabilia that speaks of the western life of a somewhat bygone era. The cowboy/cowgirl restroom was clean and well supplied. That's important. The servers were friendly, common ordinary nice people serving locals. That's a compliment. When I return I'll order a buffalo burger.

Visited June 2012