“less than expected”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 25, 2012

First off, we waited over 10 minutes for someone to take our order. Other people who were in before us, same story and they almost walked out. The waitress showed up just in time.
I went in expecting "home style" food because that's what the sign says.
The salad bar was ok, except for the mushy cucumber salads. There were 2 kinds of cuke salads and both of them seem old and mushy. I would suggest that they reduce the number of "jello salads" and puddings, and try adding fresh vegetables like peas, onions, bell peppers, radishes, etc.
I ordered the special, "chicken fried chicken". It was obviously pre-made, frozen breaded patties from a supplier. That's not "home style" to me. But the mashed potatoes seemed like home made. Too bad they were almost cold, as was everything else.
I think the waitress was overwhelmed, because they may not expect as many people on a Wednesday night. In all fairness, we were on a bus tour, so many of us went to the Log Cabin. Not all at once in a group though. We were staggered.

This place could make some small changes like breading their own chicken breast, and making the salad bar fresh and it would make a big difference. Don't they know that it's cheaper to make fries from fresh potatoes, instead of the frozen "curly fries"??
Maybe other dishes are truly home made, but mine sure wasn't.
A little fresh paint would help too.....paint is cheap.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

The Log Cabin Restaurant is a real log cabin on M Street. That "M" must stand for Monument for it's close to the Scotts Bluff National Monument and across the street from the Monument Inn where we stayed. My nephew, who lives in Gering, suggested we meet there for breakfast. He ordered the "special" yet ate it so fast I didn't notice what it was but he said it was good. My friend had "good coffee" and it wasn't Starbucks. There is no Starbucks in Gering or Scottsbluff.

I'd already had breakfast so didn't eat. But what a charming place to visit if only to see! There's a full-size carved wooden Indian upon entry. Sitting in the comfortable booth I noticed on the wall were barbwire types, deer heads with antlers, Charles Russell prints, memorabilia that speaks of the western life of a somewhat bygone era. The cowboy/cowgirl restroom was clean and well supplied. That's important. The servers were friendly, common ordinary nice people serving locals. That's a compliment. When I return I'll order a buffalo burger.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

She's proud of her food by the looks of the prices - but it's justified. Great food, large portions, everything hot and fresh. Staff is quick and friendly, especially Elaine. Ham 'n bean soup is better than Mom's - very hard feat. Salad bar is what it is -just a side. Meatloaf is awesome, breakfast anytime is spot on.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Definitely a slice of Americana. This is the place where the locals go for home cooked meals at very reasonable prices. Buffalo burgers are a regular item on the menu. Pan fried chicken is tasty and home cooked. One tip - get there early if you want the chicken because once it's gone, it's gone.

Reviewed June 19, 2008

There aren't many little ma and pa cafes left in this area. This is my favorite of the handful left. Great homemade food, friendly down-home service. The only drawback is sometimes the place can be a bit too smoky.