“Vegetarian Wannabe”

Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Broadway
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The amount of meat brought out to you is obscene. My fridge conked out on July 4th and I was without my raw staples. Since I have always wanted to try this place before I vowed vegetarianism, I decided to try it now since my produce all rotted. But for the life of me, with all the information on how meat contributes to many debilitating diseases, why would such a place be able to survive? Granted they have a salad bar, but it has a lot of gluten-full pastas, a regular green bounty, with add-ons, and a hot buffet with yet more meaty dishes, stews, and even some bean dishes, rice and questionably real mashed potatoes. I have yet to ask if anything is organic, but most likely it is not since there are no signs to proudly announce this possibility. I'm sure we can forget any organic, grass-fed, free range animals either. This brings to mind hat this is the first time ever that I even thought about the live animals while eating them. Now that should stop this nonsense for me, but no, I am carrying on in the name of research. It is a step by step process for some of us to change our tastes, lifestyles, and what we decide to ingest. Mine has been a long process of 5 years so far. But this place may be the "straw that....".

Aside from all the meat they bring out on a spit - beef sirloin, pork loin, lamb kielbasa, Brazilian sausage, chicken breast wrapped in bacon, and others such as chicken hearts and beef ribs, you also get a grilled slab of pineapple, quite the finale. But there are deserts also. After such a bounty, who could have any desert?, maybe the only plus in one's health quests....i.e. no sugar, unless it's hidden everywhere in their food.

If I were a regular and true-hearted meat eater, I may like this place. But as the meat comes out on a spit of leftover items, the meat is a bit dry. Still I am glad I tried it, to know I don't ever have to come back, and to hopefully get back on track away from the slaughter.

There are newer reviews for Midwest Grill

Reviewed July 4, 2013

First of all, let me state that this is not my first time in this restaurant, because of it location I went back hoping that things had change.
Food is just ok. Tasteless Brazilian food,looks like they don't put any effort in bring the great flavors that Brazilian food can have out.
But, my major issue with this place is costumer service. It's hard to believe.
You have to "hunt" for service in this place.Tables always seem to be greasy, since they don't use table cloths. Is hard to get a second drink because your waitress always dissapear. And paying your bill is another story... we waited 25 minutes for our check, until I actually got angry and went looking for someone near the kitchen.
The total of our bill was $56,00 for 2 rodizio and 2 Sam Adams and a headache.
Save your money and go somewhere else.

3  Thank CakesQuerida
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Took my husband and family out to this resturant. Tables, floors and bathroom was clean. The set up was very nice with a cold and hot buffet. They had a live band playing Jazz which is my husband's favorite music. Once seated your waitress takes your drink order and gives you a card with green/go on one side and red/stop on the other. As long as your card is place on the green/go side they will continue to come to your table with meats. If you want the meats to stop place the card on the red/stop side. You have to serve yourself the side of hot and cold items. For the meats we had chicken wrapped in bacon, pork sausage, sirlon steak. For the side I tried the yellow rice and beans, it was very good. Also tried the chicken pasta salad and white rice with black beans and beef. Everything on my plate was delicious! The waitress was very nice and checked in with us a few times to make sure everything was well. We will be going back soon!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We went to the Midwest Grill (Rt 1, Saugus location) for Father’s Day. We had been there once before, for lunch, and were quite satisfied. This visit would prove to be quite different.

After getting a plateful of items from the messy hot/cold buffet/salad bar, we returned to our table to eat that, before starting on the featured meat entrees. The salad bar was much in need of a cleanup, with food spilled by diners around the trays and in many cases, in other trays.

While eating our appetizer, servers came around frequently offering all sorts of meats, which we declined, for the moment.

Once we finished our appetizers, we began to select from some of the meat offerings. One waiter brought around some sirloin steak. We felt it was raw (note that we enjoy our meats on the rare side of medium rare) and asked him to return when he had some that was more medium rare. Another waiter brought some steak tips that he said were well done. We asked him to please come back when he had some that were more medium-rare. Mixed in with some other offerings, the above was repeated several times during our meal … the same servers would bring our meat that was far from our liking and promised to return with something we would find more to our tastes. Yet each time they did not.

As we sat and waited the servers came out less frequently with fewer offerings. We finally complained to our waitress who was shocked and went into the back to speak with management. She returned very apologetic and assured us that they would be out with meats that would please us. Yet this did not happen; in fact there was a repeat of the same as before.

We spoke to the waitress again and again were assured it would be corrected … but it was not, even after waiting more than 20 minutes for them to grill up some new stuff.

When we paid the tab, the waitress again told us how bad she felt and that she had discussed this with the management, etc. It is interesting to note that unlike some other restaurants which we might have had some difficulty in the past, there was no offer to “comp” one or more meals (we had 3 meals at $20.95 each), no offer for a free dessert … nothing. In fact the manager never saw fit to stop by the table to talk with us about this experience. By the way, the restaurant was only about 25% full, so it was not a case that either there were too few customers or too many.

We left after almost 2 hours, much of it waiting for food, and did not feel as though we had a decent meal. It is quite unlikely that we will return.

1  Thank Alan W
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was on the other side of our hotel and there was only 1 guy working when we got there. He was bus boy, host, waiter, bartender and the guy walking around with the skewers of meat. Some of the choices were good (the pork and the chicken), neither of the beef options were fully cooked (raw is not rare), and the rolls were burnt.

Rap music was playing and we were there for the uncensored sound track. Without question the first restaurant I've been to were I amused myself counting the f bombs.

Though it was walking distance from our hotel, we did not go back.