“Cajun and Mexican, delicious!”
Review of Border Cafe

Border Cafe
Ranked #6 of 115 Restaurants in Saugus
Cuisines: Southwestern, Cajun & Creole, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed September 15, 2016 via mobile

So this was a first time visit, I've driven by this place so many times and have always wanted to go in.

The atmosphere was great, the wait wasn't too long but I guess this is a popular spot and you can wait for a table. The place is clean and the staff were pleasant and attentive. The menu was simple and straight forward, with great options.

Salsa and fresh hot tortilla chips were brought out with drinks. We only got beers, cannot speak to the mixed drinks. I got the gumbo cup as an appetizers. It was a small size, but perfect to have something small. Also comes in a bowl (larger size). It was very delicious. For a main course I got the crawfish etoufee. It was most excellent. The crawfish were soft, not rubbery at all. The jasmine rice was a little dry, but otherwise the sauce was great. My buds got the mixed fajita and the pulled beef enchilada (I think, it was a burrito with sauce on it). Their meals looked good and they finished it.

Would like to come back again.

Reviewed September 4, 2016

Let me start off by saying that I've been eating at the Saugus Border Cafe since it opened in 1990. I've even eaten in the one in Delaware several times!! Being a creature of habit, I generally get the same meal - a house salad, and chicken quesadillas. The salad was always fresh, with bacon bits and a really unique house dressing. The quesadillas were fat with chicken, and very simple with only salsa and cheese inside - a very nice meal. The last time I was in (June), I ordered just the quesadilla, and was I ever surprised and disappointed. It didn't look as full as it has for the past TWENTY-SIX years I've been eating there, so I opened it up. Truthfully, I was hard-pressed to find a half dozen THREAD-LIKE pieces of chicken swimming in a sea of red stuff (?) and runny cheese. My server must have noticed the expression on my face, because she asked what was wrong. I never send meals back, but the server sent the manager to me, and she ended up replacing the meal. Sadly, the second quesadilla wasn't appreciably better than the first - still more like a sloppy cheese quesadilla than a chicken one. That makes me believe that the Border has changed the way they make their chicken quesadillas, and it's not for the better. I'll give it one more try and hope the last visit was an anomaly, but if I get that same crappy quesadilla, I'll be ending my patronage of 26 years.

Reviewed August 24, 2016 via mobile

Been eating here since they opened next door to Hilltop about 30 years ago. Food is excellent and prices haven't gone up much in 30 years. Love it and will always go back.

Reviewed August 1, 2016

My husband had been wanting to try the Cafe and Saturday afternoon we stopped by with our daughter. We were seated right away and it was busy for late afternoon. It was very clean which is my first happy thought and service was extremely friendly. We had veggie and steak fijita's and caesar salad to start. (You were served warm chips and salsa before hand). We thought the food was delicious and there was plenty, you got beans and rice as well. Though a chain restaurant we found it to be a cut above most. Will happily return.

Reviewed July 26, 2016

Love the food and drink but can't take the noise level. Wait staff is pleasant and prices are very reasonable.

Been to Border Cafe? Share your experiences!