“Normally A Four Star, but Not this time”
Review of Border Cafe

Border Cafe
Ranked #9 of 113 Restaurants in Saugus
Cuisines: Southwestern, Cajun & Creole, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed May 2, 2013

They missed a bit this time. I got the chicken taco and pulled beef enchilada. They were pretty decent, but the black beans were just average OK. The rice, however, was WAY TOO salty. Just not a pleasant experience when something is severely over-salted. Service was it's usual level of excellence. The price of our food was more than reasonable. This place usually rates four stars with me, but visit missed the mark in the Kitchen staff/food prep area. My wife's drink was fabulous, and decently priced to boot!

It was busy when we arrived on Saturday around 6:30 and got busier after we were seated. I would recommend trying to get there before 5:00/5:30 if you don't want a 1/2 hour or so wait. Or come after 8:30/9:00.

Some other locations, such as Reading, MA, are much less noisy and generally your wait time during busy periods will be a bit less (maybe 10-15 minutes vs. a 1/2 hour

Reviewed April 29, 2013

A great mexican restaurant and the Fajita's are the best...There is always a wait so be prepared to spend some time at the bar. the wait staff seem overwhelmed so order everything you want early...

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We arrived with several friends with some reservation and expected delay. Staff was very accomodating and get us seats quickly. Chips were fresh and hot and salsa was good. Food was very good, Jambalaya is great.

2  Thank UpperCapeResident
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised by my whole experience at this restaurant. The top shelf Magarita was very good. The tortilla chips were warm, thin and tasty. Just a little too salty though. The salsa was great as well as the gaucamole. I ordered the Mesquite grilled Salmon, it was perfectly prepared and delicious. The service was excellent as well as the prices. This is a fun restaurant for Mexican food.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

There are loads of restaurants on Route 1. The Border Cafe is the only one I would make the trip for. French Quarter Chicken is absolutely awesome. Homemade Chips and Salsa, fast service and a pocket friendly price. I don't know why there are not thousands of these. It's always crowded for good reason. My gold standard for fine Tex Mex. I do, however, miss the coconut shrimp of long ago. Recently I had a salad there and the home made honey mustard dressing with stone ground mustard and horseradish was amazing! Love, Love, Love it! One of my absolute favorites!!!!