“Good meal, but very noisy!”
Review of Border Cafe

Border Cafe
Ranked #6 of 115 Restaurants in Saugus
Cuisines: Southwestern, Cajun & Creole, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I dined here while in town for business with a colleague and customer. The margaritas and food were good, but the place was so noisy!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I stopped into the Border Cafe and were able to be seated right away. I have been to the Border Cafe in Burlington, and love the salsa and homemade sour cream. I can’t do really hot spicy food, and enjoy that I can eat their salsa. However, right away we realized the salsa was very hot. Even my husband who likes spice said it was over the top. When we mentioned it to the waitress she said they make it daily in batches so no matter how spicy the jalapenos may be that day, if it calls for 20 then they put in 20. She said many people had mentioned how hot it was today. So, we ordered the chicken quesadilla (hold the salsa), and a bacon cheeseburger to share. While waiting, it was hard to talk to my husband as the restaurant was VERY loud. Our food came out and the quesadilla was crisp on top, and soggy on the bottom. Maybe it was because they held out the salsa but the flavor was blah. We cut the burger in half, and my husband took a bite, without looking. (I’m not so foolish) It was raw. No, not more pink in the middle than we like, it was raw. The waitress came over and we let her know we wanted to just box up the food and go. We would reheat at home (Or finish cooking as it were). She was wonderful. The manager came right over and said that he saw it was "a little undercooked" and took it off the bill. I want to express that the service and staff was top notch and well trained at the restaurant. But I have to say that if you make a batch of food, you should taste it as you make it and alter it for quality control. It may be they were busy, but the food was really less than great.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

The title says it all. We return to this restaurant time after time for every occasion. We always know the food, prices, and waitstaff will be spot on. Simply said - this is the restaurant we enjoy the most and continually patronize.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Border Cafe continues to be my favorite restaurant when craving Mexican. I have been going here for years and have never had a bad experience. Some of my favorite dishes are the Fajitas (love the onions it comes with), Enchiladas, Burro, Chile con Queso, Chicken Quesadillas (best I've had), Tostada Grande )taco salad). Make sure to try the Fries. And yes, I know it's not something you would typically order at a Mexican restaurant, but they are soooo good and only like $1.50! The atmosphere is tons of fun too, although I prefer the bar at the old location.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

My last trip to the Border was a very unhappy experience. In the past I frequented this place on a weekly basis. It was my go to for a great meal at a great price. No so last time. I got my usual House Salad and as I was eating it I got a MOUTHFULL OF DIRT or Sand. Obviously the lettuce had not been washed well. Now most people think when I say "mouthfull" it is a few grains. Not so. I actually wiped my mouth out with the napkin and still the sand, grit, dirt whatever it was stuck in my teeth and it was disgusting. Even more disgusting was the fact that I had DIRT all over the napkin. I called the waitress over and showed her the napkin and told her I could not eat the salad. She told me that should not be like that and apologized. She offered to get me something else but I just could not eat and I told her no. What upset me was the fact that she went and told the manager and he NEVER even came over to apologize. I have not been back in a month. I had gone to their website to write to them but they do not have a place for contact.
I want to go back again but I am just disgusted by the experience and the lack of courtesy on the part of the manager that I just cannot get myself to do it. It is too bad because it was one of my favorite restaurants in Saugus.

1  Thank Gary W

Been to Border Cafe? Share your experiences!