“It has seen better days.”
Review of Hilltop Steak House - CLOSED

Hilltop Steak House
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have been going to this restaurant since the early sixties. It has always been a great value for the money. There always was a minimum of an hour to get inside to eat. I was in Massachusetts two weeks ago, and I went there with my wife. It is not the Hilltop of old. The portions were small, the prices were very high for what one gets. Their signature salad was different. It was not a pleasant experience. Most all of the tables around us had some sort of an issue. My issue was I ordered steak tips, and they were supposed to be medium rare, they were overly wells done. I sent them back, and the replacement came out the same way. In all my years of going there, I have never had any issues. I feel their demise is coming. (just my opinion)

2  Thank Guido33976
There are newer reviews for Hilltop Steak House

Reviewed October 3, 2012

It has a nice atmosphere and menu. The food was average and the prices were kind of high. I have not been back, guess it's time to go again.

1  Thank 715NEO
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Hilltop was always a sure bet for good steak and service. Not so anymore. Our last time there we waited 20 minutes for appetizer and salads to appear. Turns out onion soup cheese was burned in kitchen and had to redo but nobody came to tell us of the delay. We sought out another waitress to ask for help. Salads are much smaller than before, by at least half. Only one entree special, not like before with multiple choices.We watched another waitress carry a martini and spill about 1/3 of it as she walked through the dining room. The patron surely paid full price for it. I was given the wrong entree, had to wait another 15 minutes. Nobody came by to check on us, no water refills, nothing. I cleared salad plates and soup bowl myself. Handed to a manager. Dining partner ordered prime rib meduim, most of it was rare and bloody. Didn't bother to ask for correction, nothing was going right. Will be a long time before we return. Sad, it was the place to go for steak for many years. Prices have certainly increased, though.

1  Thank flightlady
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Excellent value and quality - for an evening meal. Our only complaint was ' too much food' - we couldn't finish the portions.

1  Thank 8bayswater
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Memories of long lines & lobster pie maybe have faded away into the sunset,but the giant cactus on route 1 still shines brightly.Let's face it the 5 dollar steak tips & 8 dollar lobster days are gone,but the Hilltop hangs 'em high offering great Luncheon specials under 10 bucks.Thursday has New England Boiled Dinner,every night m-f something special!
As for great grub ,you have to know what to order. I urge you to try ground chuck , a select super burger with homemade mushroom sauce with fresh tasty mushrooms with choice of veggies or thier famous Salad & signature dressing {or try the best balsemic} ..In addition you are served a hearty homemade chicken soup -that will satify any appetite.All this for an unreal price of 11 dollars U.S.
Others in thier famous Sioux City Room were enjoying fresh fish,we ordered it ,we liked it!.
We also noticed others dining on Large Prime Rib,with no visible fat,ample thickness & made our mouths water.
Hey,granted this ain't the good old days,this is tough business and this great steakhouse offers all cuts of steaks at decent prices.In any event this is the all-time best watering hole on Rt.1
Service? -most servers have worked thier for 10-20 years.waitstaff is very attentive & friendly.
The Hilltop ,Broadway ,Saugus (5 short miles north of Boston) is worth the trip and offers a lot of bang for the buck. Like the giant dinasour down the road at the golf/arcade ,restaurants like the Ol' Hilltop are becoming extinct.