“Great food and lots of it”
Review of Kowloon Restaurant

Kowloon Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 112 Restaurants in Saugus
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We ordered a platter, split it, and still had lots left over. The staff were friendly, attentive, helpful and made our meal even more enjoyable.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

This place is a glorified Chinese restaurant... All the food tasted bland with no flavor.. The crab ragoon only had cheese and no crab, presentation of that dish sucks... The Pad Thai had a funky smell to it and the tofu, I assume it was tofu. Tasted horrible so we picked it all off our plate. Again presentation of tired looking lettuce, a lemon, and a cocktail cherry was just confusing. This place reminds me of mass produced, barely passable, banquet hall... Or maybe buffet food. I would not recommend this place at all!! My local neighborhood place does a much better job!

1  Thank lunchbox_hero
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I have lived in the Boston area for 30 years, and my taste for all Asian foods has 'grown up' here. Kowloon's reminds me of every thing bad about a Chinese restaurant in 1982, when I didn't know it was bad:

- Tepid tea
- Greasy egg rolls
- Entrees clearly cooked in vats - if you got a dish served up early in the day - it's not bad. But if you got a dish served up from the same vat seven hours later, it's terrible.
- No real special dishes; nothing, apparently, made-fresh-to-order.

It's like they are 'mailing it in' - they was a good size crowd for the day I visited, the 4th of July, 2014. Brought a friend from out of state with me; I was bragging about the place because I had heard all the ads on radio and TV. Don't believe the hype!

The food was 1982 'quality' at 2014 prices! The staff was rude (waitress tried to tell us there was nothing wrong with the tasteless and tepid tea! Almost refused to bring us a new pot; when she did, it was also tepid and tasteless...)

I will NOT make this mistake again. So many really good Asian restaurants in the Chinatown in Boston, and all over Cambridge, Allston, Brighton. No need to perpetuate the 'Kowloon' empire and myth.

In honor of the day I visited, July 4th, I am declaring my independence from Kowloon's! Never again!

2  Thank Jeff D
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I was recently here again with family and friends. I have been to this palace many times over the past 6 years. It is a huge restaurant with a comedy club on the second floor. There is a dinning room for Chinese food and another room for Thai / Japanese food and a bar with tables for whatever. I have never had just a meal there. I always had an array of appetizers, Sushi, mussels, etc. The mai tai's work well too. It is a keeper. By the way, I have always been lucky playing KENO there. Enjoy

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We hadn't been here in quite a few years, so decided to go. The atmosphere wasn't too bad, but the food was horrible, not to mention the service. We sat in the lounge area where there was only one waitress for a lounge full of people, so I guess the service can't be totally blamed on her. The food was terrible. It had no flavor at all. I only ate some of it because I knew I was paying for it. After we finished eating, we waited for a 2nd drink, but the waitress was no where to be found. The bartender looked over at us a few times and saw our empty glasses, but then looked away and kept watching TV and talking to the people at the bar. Finally, after waiting 20 minutes with no service we saw the waitress, she walked by a few times, didn't notice we were done, so finally we called her over, asked for the check and left. We will never go back there again!! It was really disgusting!

3  Thank Britt21