“Poor Location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Saugus
Hamilton, Canada
“Poor Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have very mixed reviews for this hotel. It is newly remodeled and quite nice and the staff is helpful...mostly. Housekeeping needs some oversight when replacing towels, coffee items, etc. The air conditioner worked well but the cover was loose and rattled so badly when the compressor came on that we couldn't use it. However this location did not work for us. While it may be only 8 miles from Logan airport, it was a 45 minute, $35 taxi ride to start with. While their website says 'close to public transportation', I would certainly argue that point. To get to the nearest subway station, we had to first walk for at least 20 minutes, sometimes without sidewalks, crossing a VERY busy highway 3 times...counting crossing the off ramps and Main St. It was at times very dangerous...no traffic lights. Once at the mall, no one had a schedule showing the time the bus arrived at the mall; we eventually learned it was every 40 minutes on weekdays, one hour and five minutes on Saturday, and NO bus on Sunday meaning a $22 taxi trip each way. And while the website also says it is close to restaurants, which it is, none of them serve breakfast and neither does the hotel. We had to buy food and carry it that 20 minutes over that busy highway to put in the fridge in the room. It was very inconvenient. We seriously considered moving to another hotel since we were there for a week but it was going to cost us a lot to change our reservations. I think if we had had a car, this hotel might have worked for us, but I don't recommend it for anyone flying into Boston. It was not convenient to get to and from the airport or the subway.

Room Tip: Ask for one as far from the street as possible, on the back side.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NRuthC
Mike C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear NRuthC,

Thanks so much for spending the week with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad to hear that you felt the hotel and staff were nice, I appreciate those comments and will share them with the rest of our team. I do apologize if the location wasn't ideal for you. We do have flat rate taxi services ($17 to Subway & $24 to Airport) for those without a vehicle. I do agree, having a vehicle in this area makes it very easy to get around as the bus stop is 1 mile away, subway 5 miles away, and downtown Boston & Logan Airport both about 8 miles away. We keep our rates very competitive with this in mind as we want to be able to offer a value because we know you may need to spend on transportation and breakfast. We appreciate your honest feedback and do hope you can try us again next time you visit Boston.

Saugus, MA 01906

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Waterbury Center, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

We had a long day of work and a long drive from Vermont before our vacation started. I booked a park/stay/fly package and everything was perfect. Staff was extremely friendly and entire hotel was very clean. Thank you all for a great nights sleep. Some advice for others: I found the pillows a little hard, so if you use feathers or foam, bring one along.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Neil A
Mike C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Neil A,

Thanks so much for staying with us... glad you enjoyed it! We do offer Park & Fly packages which can really make things easy for you to be able to leave your car while traveling rather than paying those really high airport parking prices, thanks for sharing that tip with other potential travelers. I really appreciate the comments in regards to the cleanliness and friendliness of our team, I will be sure to share this with everyone and we really appreciate it. Thanks, we hope to see you next time you are in the area.

Northport, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Recent review were correct. Great location, immaculately clean, close to Boston, restaurants, morning coffee (Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks.) Very friendly staff (thank you Michelle you made my stay extra enjoyable.) Deserves the #1 rating. I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Susan M
Mike C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Susan M,

Thanks for staying with us and I am so happy to hear that this was exactly what you were looking for! I am glad the location was ideal for you, and everything was nice and clean. Most importantly, thanks for the nice comments about Michelle, I agree, she is great! I will be sure to share the kind words with her as I am sure she too will be delighted to read them, as well as praise her for her efforts. Thanks again and we hope to see you next time you are in the area.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have stayed here many times. I enjoy the fact it is nonsmoking and that the staff is very friendly and helpful. I like the location, it is very close to many restaurants and shopping centers. It allows me to enjoy the Northshore and Boston.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank snoopy733
Dear snoopy733,

Thanks for staying with us, we glad you enjoyed it here! I am glad to hear the location, non-smoking policy, and staff are all to your likings. I will be sure to share the kind comments with the entire team as we truly appreciate when we offer great service and it is recognized. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Kingston, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn for two nights while visiting Boston. Our daughters graduated from Northeastern College on Friday morning at the TD Center. The hotel is perfectly located for easy access to the city via the T. Instead of driving in to Boston and spending $45.00 for parking. We drove 5 miles to the T in Wonderland and rode right in to the TD Center.

When we arrived to check in we were warmly greeted by Talal. He was so welcoming and helpful. He gave us fabulous recommendations for dining, shopping and getting around with ease. Our room was beautiful. We have stayed here before and were always happy with the accomodations. We opened the door to a newly renovated room that was beautiful and so comfortable. Plenty of pillows on the bed (which we usually fight over)! The furniture and bedding were so nice. And the bed was so comfortable. Oh, before I forget I have never stayed in a room with so many electric outlets. Usually we are crawling around moving furniture searching for plugs. Everything we own needs to be plugged in and charged. God forbid, we go off the radar. My kids will think we are in a ditch.

The room also came with a fridge and microwave. Very convenient for our left over pizza from Angela's next door. (Awesome pizza! And we are from NY). My only real complaint was the shampoo plus conditioner. I need separate conditioner. My hair is too thick to comb through afterwards. The soap was fantastic. What kind is it? The housekeeper gave me a bar to take home. The Cherry Almond smell is wonderful. I must know what brand it is!

Even though we were away for home I still have to catch certain TV shows. I know, my husband thinks I need a support group. The huge flat screen was very much appreciated as was the free HBO. And thank you for free Wi-Fi.

We had a wonderful stay once again and will definitely be back! Thank you again to Talal and the rest of the friendly staff! Seriously....what kind of soap is that?

Room Tip: We like to stay at the far end. You can park right there and go in the entrance right to the stai...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank starkiechck
Dear starkiechck,

Thanks so much for leaving us such a nice review, we really appreciate it! I am thrilled to hear about the service provided by Talal and will be sure to praise him for his hard work, our entire team strives to create a positive emotional experience for our guests and it looks like Talal did just that! I am so glad the location, the room, and the amenities were to your liking, as for the soap... it is made especially for Red Roof's so come on back and I will be glad to give you some extra to take home with you :-) .Thanks again, we are so happy to hear that this was a perfect trip for your family and we really hope to have the opportunity to host you all again.

Huntington Station, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

This newly renovated hotel was bright and clean, the rooms renovated with wood flooring and modern fixtures, and the few requests we had (i.e. extra towels) were immediately answered. Located right on 1 in Saugus, it really was the perfect location for what we wanted to do. Less than 40 minutes to Gloucester, less than 30 to Salem, 15 to the airport or the Wonderland train station to Boston City Center. $2.50 one way for a 30 minute train ride (Blue Line!) right to the Old State House (pick up your Go Cards!) or the stop before is the Aquarium which puts you right at Long Wharf and about a block from Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market.

Check out Kowloon, it's a kind of Asian fusion restaurant just before the hotel, you can't miss it. It's enormous and kitchy and packed on the weekends. All along 1 are restaurants, grocery and drug stores...pretty much if you forget to pack it you can pick it up near your hotel.

Definitely will be our first pick on your next trip to Boston

Room Tip: If you are going to Boston ask the front desk for directions to the Wonderland train station. Park...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank misgif
Mike C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear misgif,

Thanks for staying with us; it was our pleasure to host your visit. I appreciate all of your kind comments regarding the hotel and will be sure to share them with the rest of the team. As mentioned, we were recently renovated and have a much more "at home" feel now since we have wood style flooring, plush Serta beds, flat screen TVs, fridge, microwave and coffee makers in all the rooms. When we do receive special requests from guests we do our best to accommodate promptly at all times so it is nice to hear we met your needs on that aspect. We are fortunate enough to be just outside of the city and not too far from the subway so you can save quite a bit by visiting Boston and staying here and have money to spend while in Boston. We are also fortunate enough to be close to other major MA destination cities such as Salem and Gloucester. Thanks again for all the kind comments and we hope we see you again soon.

Saugus, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Very convienant to resteraunts and route1.
Talal was very friendly and helpfull at checkin.
Would stay there again if I were in the area.
With the upgraded rooms there is free calls in the US
and the rooms come with a king bed, micro and fridge.
The next generation Red Roof inns, are not like their
former selves.

Room Tip: rooms at the far end are quieter than those toward route 1
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mike C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear scott n,

Thanks for staying with us and for sharing your comments. I am glad to hear the location and amenities met your needs and that you enjoyed the redesign that Red Roof Inn has implemented across the nation. Though we have added fridges, microwaves, new beds, flat screen TVs, all new furniture with a modern design, we still maintain the best value for dollar in the area. I am thrilled to hear Talal provided you exceptional service and I will be sure to share the comments with him as well as praise him for making a personal connection with our guests. Thanks and we hope to see you next time you travel to the area.

Saugus, MA 01906
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugus
Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport)
Quality Inn Revere
Quality Inn Revere
#4 of 5 in Revere
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Comfort Inn & Suites Boston Logan International Airport
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan? Share your experiences!