“Undertrained staff nightmare”

Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport)
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Saugus
Reviewed July 2, 2007

My first clue should have been when the gal at the front desk didn't know what exit to take off the interstate. Then I found out my room had not been prepaid as required when I made the reservation; then it was discovered that an earlier clerk had checked someone else with the same last name into my room, under my rate. I was given a discount to make up for the trouble, but unfortunately I was too tired to make sure everything was straightened out with the other person's info under my reservation. A week later, I was informed that my credit card (which was supposed to originally pay for the room) was charged for the five nights of the other person, plus several other rooms, totalling nearly $2,000! Hours later, I still don't have verification from the hotel that everything has been put right.

Add to that an a/c unit too noisy to use while trying to sleep, some rags left by the cleaning crew, and a front desk clerk in the morning who could not tell me how to get to the next main thoroughfare. At least they provided free newspapers and a good breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport)

Reviewed May 27, 2007

This hotel is a drive from the city. We kept our car in order to minimize waiting for shuttles and trains. The hallways smell like smoke. The back door was broken. The Hilltop Steakhouse is pretty good. The shuttle was full in the morning. Walls were pretty thin and you could hear doors shutting all the way down the hall.

The free breakfast had a good selection and served for 6 hours made it convenient to all. More of a commuter hotel. People stopped in just for the night most of the time. Not a lot of front desk help so had to wait about 20 min to check in.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2006

I booked Days Inn Saugus Logan Airport for a job interview in Boston. I spent one night.

Good:
- a spacious, comfortable, clean room at a low price.
- free WiFi in the lobby
- friendly desk staff
- they let me check in early

Bad:
- "Logan Airport" is misleading. The hotel is not near the airport. While the hotel has a free shuttle (that doesn't run quite as often as they say it does), it was a $50 cab ride to downtown Boston. If you want public transport, first you have to take the shuttle back to the airport (wait for the hourly shuttle, then take the 25-minute ride) to get it. I'm embarrassed to send my cab receipts to my interviewiers.
- Clock radio didn't work.
- Heating system was very loud, and woke me up several times.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank AuntN
Reviewed November 4, 2006

We came out from the UK to see "New England in the Fall".

We stayed for one week last month, before we went we read some of the comments and felt very unsure what to expect, but we were very pleased with the room which was large and non smoking as requested, with two double beds & a microwave and fridge as requested. The staff were very helpful and there is an excellent shuttle sevice to and from Boston, and the airport. The breakfast was great, cereal, bagels, toast, waffles, muffins, fruit, tea coffee and juices, what more could you want ?
We can honestly say it was a good week and we are so pleased we didn't take notice of the comments of some people and perhaps cancelled.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank DaphneM
Reviewed June 1, 2006

We visited Boston on Memorial Day weekend. We've been in better hotels before, but we were satisfied. The rooms are clean. The only bad thing is that there is a smokey smell throughout the building, like cigarettes. Their transportation sysytem is very convenient. They pick you up at the airport. There's also service to the subway, so you really don't need to rent a vehicle. Just make sure you walk with their phone number because you'll need it when you need to get back to the hotel from the train station.
Overall, it's was worth the money. I forgot to mention, they serve free breakfast: coffee bagels, toast. pancakes, etc....

1  Thank brood632
Reviewed May 22, 2006

Overall this hotel is bad. It is not that close to the airport. It seems close when you look up under Logan airport on Expedia or Travelocity but it is not. They do have an airport shuttle but I heard it usually takes forever for them to pick you up and gets full when you need to take it to the airport. The room was non-smoking but it had such a bad perfume smell that we think they were trying to cover up the "smoke" in the room. The back door to the hotel was supposed to be locked and you could only get in with the room key but unfortunately it was broken. We didn't feel too safe here. The price was okay ($109) and that's why we stayed there but we kept our car because we didn't want to deal with the shuttle in the morning for our flight. I recommend staying somewhere else if you can!

A TripAdvisor Member
atlanta, georgia
Reviewed May 8, 2006

they offered only smokey room (though we had booked non-smoking); air conditioning did not work at all (so room temp. was in 77 degree range); noisy throughout the night; $35 cab ride from Logan Airport . . . avoid this hotel if possible.

• Stayed: May 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugus
Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan
Quality Inn Revere
Quality Inn Revere
#4 of 5 in Revere
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Comfort Inn & Suites Boston Logan International Airport
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody

Been to Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport)? Share your experiences!