“Great place, great room, great staff”

Quality Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Thousand Oaks
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Booked in for 5 nights after driving 2600 miles around the west coast. Travelled from Palm Springs and had spent a frustrating couple of hours on the internet trying to find a decent hotel at a decent price in or around LA. It came down to 2, one from another chain we have used, in Downey or this one. Went to Downey first, nice staff, OK place but not too impressed. Travelled on to this hotel and was it worth the time - YES. Lovely location as near to Mullholland Scenic Highway and Camarillo (largest outlet mall in California we are led to believe) and about 45 minutes to Santa Monica and Venice Beach. Lovely place, clean, well cared for, bright and private with decent sized pool, seperate spa, quiet area and well manicured gardens. Room was clean, spacious, well cared for with all mod-cons plus WiFi and quiet. Staff were exceptionally helpful and welcoming and David the owner went out of his was to be accomodating. Complimentry breakfast was varied, fresh, with great choice and plentiful. This was a great hotel at a great price and we couldn't fault it.

Room Tip: Don't book online, we got a much better price with the the walk-in-rate, than we could find anyw...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Please, please, please don't waste your energy and peace of mind on the quality inn.
We needed a simple correction with our reservation (the travel company made an error). Ryan, at the front desk stated he had no control over the reservation because it was prepaid and wanted to but couldn't help us. Untrue!! The third party who made the reservation specifically told us the hotel could assist us. Ryan insisted he couldn't help. As the conversation continued he finally admitted although he could help he wouldn't. When he was caught in his lie and I asked if he would please make the small adjustment (no loss of money to the hotel) Ryan ordered "Don't argue with me!" as if we were in a country where women had no voice. He then called the police saying he had a woman on the property who wouldn't leave. Unbelievable!! He refused to mention one important detail. I had a reservation and was trying to check-in. I spoke with the officer via telephone explaining how Ryan had misled him as I had a reservation which was the sole reason I was at the hotel. In the end, Ryan refused to honor the reservation. I then asked him to cancel the reservation so it would quickly generate a refund. Ryan's response was "Do I need to call the police again!". This was a nightmare. He was insistent on creating a huge problem and drama over nothing. There are other hotels in the immediate area that know the meaning of customer service and will simply change the arrival date by one day, which is what we were asking.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank L S
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Very cute little place, older, but it appeared to be kept up. It has a nice pool, jacuzzi, gazebo with a koi pond, outdoor patios and green grassy areas for kids and adults to enjoy. The breakfast was very good, lots of fresh choices and they kept stocking items as they were depleating. The staff was great, lobby was pretty and inviting. The fresh baked cookies were a nice touch to enjoy in the afternoons with coffee or tea.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ambogirl24
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The hotel was convienent to get to. Needed a key card to get ice... forst time I encountered this. My review must be 200 characters . ? Can't really think of that much - other than it was a place to put our head after a long day driving.

Room Tip: Room was very comfortable. Night staff was very helpful. The walk way to the rooms were not clean. I...
1  Thank cheryl m
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Quality Inn was very clean and the people were very nice. It was clean and there were plenty of towels. When we called the front desk they answered right away. They allowed us to check in a little early because we had been on the road and the room was ready. The only complaint I had is the TV. It was the big old style TV. There was no cable, only basic cable. There were no movie channels or movies to order. It has been so long since I have watched basic cable on a crappy old TV, it was very disappointing. I called the front desk because I thought I was doing something wrong or it was broke because some channels were all full of static. The manager came right away and fiddled with it a little. It didn't get much better. He said we could change rooms, but all the rooms only had basic cable. Other than the crappy TV, the hotel was nice. I don't think we will stay there again because half the fun of the hotel is relaxing and watching TV, right?

1  Thank Stephanie L
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel originally with the idea of going to Universal Studios during Memorial Day weekend after running the Mountain2Beach full/half marathon. Unfortunately, we made it as far as the Regan Presidential Museum when I realized I was coming down with a nasty cold. We went ahead and checked in and I unfortunately decided on a room on the bottom floor--less walking and struggling with luggage. We were right off the pool and earplugs definitely came in handy. The room itself had a comfortable enough bed, but the carpet was stained and worn, and the walls were visibly patched and dirty. Bathroom was clean and obviously newly tiled but tiny (sink was in the bathroom, not outside it, which I prefer). I was feeling too under the weather to care, honestly. Wifi was touch and go but husband said the local Ralph's was only a couple miles away, and next door was a local pizza place called Topper's, which he really enjoyed. I was feeling better in the morning and we ventured over to the free breakfast. It was severely limited with a few kinds of cereal, waffles, tiny cupcakes, weak coffee and orange juice, apples and week-old oranges, etc. I went back to the room and ate a couple items my husband had bought at Ralph's instead.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We paid for their largest family room at $127 a night, to have the fold-out bed from the couch. The couch was horrible-stained, with the frame bent and absolutely unusable. They did give us a roll-away bed that was at least clean, but not much more. The curtains, carpet and bedding was old, worn and musty. This is an old, old place and sure not worth the price we paid. The only really good thing is that they have a deal with a Gold's Gym a block away and you can use that facility. The less time you spend at this hotel, the better. By the way, I complained to Choice Hotels and heard back from the hotel manager who said, "I hope you'll consider staying with us again so we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience." Unless the entire place is updated and remodeled, I don't see that as a possibility. Also, this is not a quiet place at all. We had a corner room far way from the lobby, but the walls were as thin as paper. Cars starting and doors slamming went on all through the night.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thousand Oaks
Hyatt Regency Westlake
Hyatt Regency Westlake
#2 of 4 in Westlake Village
Best Western Posada Royale Hotel & Suites

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks? Share your experiences!