“No hot water for two days. No fun at all.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Palm Garden Hotel

Palm Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Thousand Oaks
Irmo, SC
“No hot water for two days. No fun at all.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times. On the plus side, they have a very nice breakfast area. On the down side, the hotel is very expensive given the relatively low quality of the rooms.

The last time I stayed there (and it will be the last time, because I will never go back), there was no hot water in my room for both nights of my stay. The hotel refused to move me to another room (though they did allow me to shower in a different room on the morning that I departed) and had the audacity to charge me full fare for a very uncomfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2004, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2005

What was I thinking when I decided to stay at the Palm Garden? Ughghg. Between the horrible smelly guest rooms, the rude staff, and the cheap breakfast I would rather stay at the Holiday Inn across the street. I have a negotiated rate in the area, and well I can get a better rate walking into the front desk! How ridiculous is that? Be careful, this hotel hasn't had a rennovation in YEARS. Stay someplace else....even Camarillo if you can't get in somewhere else....

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2005

This motel was one of the worst places I've stayed at. It was dark (not enough lighting in the place) and dirty (smelled of flea powder). Our tub was stopped up, and our room was so small that I would have opted to stay in our rental car. This place is so overpriced for what you get - if you want to stay at motel, goto the red roof! Needless to say, we left the very next morning and scrambled to stay anywhere but there.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2005

We've come to the Palm Garden Hotel twice now to visit my son in college.
The rooms were comfortable and clean. The pool area was pretty and the breakfast near the pool was exceptional...many more offerings than the usual hotel fare...Booking online on their reservation line was a little bumpy...I needed 2 rooms for different days and they have yet to get it right! I'm just going to correct it when I get there as I'm tired of sending numerous emails...booking online the first time through Expedia was MUCH smoother! Their in- room Internet was great and very convenient.
Overall a nice stay in a nice hotel and Thousand Oaks is a very nice community to visit. I would recommend this hotel as a nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank anonymous327_11
Eureka, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2005

The Clarion Palm Garden was the best-priced decent-quality motel that I could find while visiting Thousand Oaks. The motel has lovely grounds, plus an attractive pool/jacuzzi area.

We showed up at 10:30am and the desk cheerfully let us check in early, which was much appreciated. Other inquiries were also handled professionally and well.

Their free breakfast is better than average, offering waffles, scrambled eggs, potatoes, and sausage in addition to the usual array of breads, cereals, and fresh fruit. Actually, the fresh fruit was more varied than the apples and bananas served in some hotel chains. It included pineapple, honeydew, cantaloupe, and grapes. There were several choices of juices, too, which this non-coffee-drinker appreciated.

We visited the adjacent Eric's Restaurant at lunchtime. The food and service was excellent, with a good array of salads for greens lovers, personal pizzas, and many other choices. Nice tempting dessert tray, too! You have the choice of the main room, an indoor patio, and an outdoor patio. The main room is "live", though, and was made even more noisy by three separate celebrations going on at the time we came in. If you're looking for a quiet intimate conversation, this isn't the place. It makes for a nice Friday night happy hour atmosphere, though, with glowing candlelight everywhere.

The rooms are nicely-sized and well-appointed with attractive furniture. We had a refrigerator, microwave, and sofa in our room in addition to the usual motel furniture.

My only quarrel with the Palm Garden is a subjective prejudice. I prefer to have a layout that allows me to open my windows for ventilation and my drapes so that I don't feel like I'm living in a cave. The Palm Garden has a motel-like layout where sidewalks go right by your room, and you can't open windows and drapes without giving up your security and privacy. That's unfortunate since the grounds are so attractive.

I also dislike motel-style window-based HVAC units. I'm never able to tune this to one setting that will keep me comfortable throughout the night, and they're typically noisy. The Palm Garden has window units rather than central heat/air with a thermostat. In T.O.'s 90-degree summer heat, I could choose between a fan setting that left me too hot or an air conditioning setting that froze me out.

If you don't share my prejudices against dark rooms and window HVAC units, the Clarion Palm Garden is an excellent choice. It does have a lot going for it. If you do have my prejudices, you may wish to try the Holiday Inn across the street.

1 Thank SLTravels
Washington, DC Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2005

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. The Palm Garden is located right in a small town center/shopping complex (restaraunts near by, knicknack shops, hair stylist gas station ...all on the same property). My room was clean and well furnished. There was a fridge and microwave right in the room (which is great for the grocery store runs to the nearby Supermarket...less than a minute away). The major plus for me was the free high speed internet access in the room--just plug and play! Also the free continental breakfast was more than adequate and had a nice variety of foods. I would recommend this place to stay for the tech/wired savvy business traveler who needs a base in the west valley or thousand oaks. If you are without a car or expect to see some of the sights within walking distance--this hotel will not be the place for you. Overall I had a good stay here and the staff was pretty helpful.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank Roadtravlr
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2005

I'm a business traveler who's on the road frequently. This hotel by far is the worst I've been to for the price range ($120/night). The room was old and dirty. I couldn't find anything good to say about it. The services were horrible. They need to renovate the hotel, starting with demolishing everything!

If you have to stay in the area, go to the Holiday Inn nearby. It's far more superior when it comes to cleanliness and staff services.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
Hyatt Regency Westlake
Hyatt Regency Westlake
#2 of 4 in Westlake Village
Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village

Been to Palm Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!