“Kids Kids and More Screaming Kids” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palm Garden Hotel

Palm Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Thousand Oaks
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Kids Kids and More Screaming Kids”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel for a one night stop over on my way back to San Diego from wine tasting in Paso Robles. One word I would use to describe this hotel is MISTAKE. I assumed that when you book a 3 star hotel, a hotel with that star rating is going to be quite, clean and comfortable. This hotel was anything but. I was tired from the drive south and was looking forward to some peace and quiet in my hotel room. Amy at the front desk checked me into the room and she was amazing. She alone is the best thing this hotel has to offer. That being said, I went to my room (which all of the rooms surround a very large pool and hot tub area) and closed the door. My room was also above a small golf course which 12 girls were playing on. Those 12 girls, the several kids in the pool combined with the kids in the room next to me were all screaming and making so much noise. This is at 9 PM at night. I felt like I was in the middle of a circus. I went back to the front desk after 30 minutes and requested another room. Amy was kind enough to put me in another room which she thought may be quieter. The room was about 20% quieter but the kids running up and down the hallways didn't help. The rooms themselves are very outdated and in need of repair. Carpets dirty, bathrooms falling apart and TV's are old and dont work properly. After a room of no sleep, I made the mistake of trying to go and get some complimentary continental breakfast. When I got into the breakfast room, the 100 kids in that room were attacking the breakfast buffet and the food was gone in a flash. I just checked out of the hotel and decided to not put myself through anymore anguish. I really wish I would have spent the extra $100 for a 4-star hotel. The stay here was horrible. Save yourself the headache and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the pool as you can in order to sleep at night. They let kids stay in th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank kristin r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed here recently, for a visit in the local area. Even though the hotel is on the highway (and very easy to find), we had a courtyard facing room, and didn't hear any traffic noise. The room was kept clean on a daily basis, and the bed was comfortable. The room itself had been updated (biggest hotel tv I've ever seen!), but not the bathroom - this seemed a little tired. There were only coffee making facilities, but no kettle. The hotel is situated in a small shopping complex, with a large food store, and an Irish pub/restaurant (very popular, but not too noisy).
A couple of downsides to the room were that the bathroom is tiny, and that bathroom light switches needed a certain combination to work, which took a few minutes to figure out. There is the The Oaks shopping mall about 5 mins drive away as well.

Room Tip: Best to choose a courtyard facing room as the highway noise will be much less.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel S
Clovis, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family and I had the chance to stay at your hotel last week, checking in on Tuesday July 30th and staying thru Friday August 2nd. Upon arriving, we were pleasantly surprised at how well the lobby and surrounding pool and courtyard looked, and thought we made a great decision. The staff at the front desk during check-in and the two gentlemen who took care of the breakfast area during our stay were top notch. The kids also loved the chess playing areas and the big pool.

Unfortunately, when we checked into our room, we were extremely disappointed, to say the least. We were given room 267 with its old dated furniture and filthy carpet. It was like walking into a room twenty years old with its popcorn ceiling. My family was extremely disappointed that we were going to be spending our vacation in such a dumpy room. But, my wife and kids are troopers and although we were disgusted, and figured the rest of the rooms in the hotel were this way, we stayed the first night. During the second night of our stay we noticed there was mold growing on the window frames in the corner of the room, in the shower stall grout, the wall paper was peeling off the walls, the exhaust fan in the bath did not work properly, the GFI plug in the bath area would not stay on and our ironing board was broken. The carpet wasn’t even vacuumed the first day of maid service and my wife found a big clump of black hair under the bed skirt. We were gone most of our stay, thank god, only coming back to the hotel late at night to sleep. My wife even made the comment that most Motel 6’s are remodeled and cleaner than our room. There was no way we were going to let our children walk bare foot in our room. We contemplated asking to be moved to another room, but at that point we didn’t want to load everything back up only to moved to another dated and dirty room. It wasn’t until Friday when we were checking out that we notice the window shades were open on the two rooms adjacent to ours and we noticed that they were both newly remodeled, and CLEAN! These rooms were empty the whole time we were there! I walked the rest of the property looking at other rooms that were being serviced by the maids, and they too were newly remodeled. At this point I was furious. Upon checking out I told the gentleman working the front desk how disgusted we were in our stay and asked why were we given a room in the condition it was when they had cleaner, remodeled rooms available when we checked in. He told me there are about 15 rooms that still need to be remodeled and that the girl at the front desk on Tuesday should have known and put us into a newer room. I e-mailed the manager after we returned home, and never got a reply. Doesn't surprise me.

I try to look on the bright side and find positives, but it’s hard to look past our room’s condition and our experience to see enough positive for us to want to stay at your hotel again. I would recommend for future guest that you don’t tarnish another family’s stay by allowing your staff to use the 15 un-remodeled rooms, even at capacity, until they are brought up to the standards that every guest pays for, and deserves.

Room Tip: Request an updated room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Gary G
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Today is 8/10/13.....This is by far the worst hotel I have ever checked into. I thoroughly checked this out on the internet and reviews were high.....obviously no one ever stayed in a pet room, they claim newly renovated however this is not the case. First off the door looks as though been pried open with a crow bar.......no kleenex, paper, pen, or ice bucket in the room......the mattress' s have been sprayed with god knows what......the curtains filthy.... sheets look like they havent been washed.......the ironing board is broken the washroom old and dingy. Effective right now I am looking for a new hotel......I am paying the same as the next person but because I have a little 10LB dog we r being treated like second class citzens.....this place isn't even worthy of my dog.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank tova70
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed 3 nights. Two of the three nights the room walls were vibrated by the bumping of loud music and parties. The hotel was nice, but I would not go there again because money from the parties was more important than money from hotel revenue. They offered NO compensation for the inconvenience. Parties on the deck by the pool echoed throughout the courtyard. The lobby and courtyard were both lovely. I'm sure we would have enjoyed it, but the loud bumping spoiled our stay.

Room Tip: Don't get a courtyard room or you will hear the loud parties.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SeattleHappytraveler
OTTAWA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

My friend and I were visiting from Canada to see his daughter in Thousand Oaks and chose this hotel because it is only minutes away from her house. We spent 4 nights from 17-21 July and were not disappointed. The staff are very friendly, Brendan's serves great food, and the pool and courtyard are great - our room was courtyard side.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again if I'm ever in the area again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ROBIN B
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have just had another fantastic stay at the Palm Garden Hotel and yet again we can't think of enough good things to say about this hotel and the wonderful staff. We were greeted with complimentary drink tickets to Brendan's Irish Pub (great for nightlife and excellent food) I had a corner room with views of the courtyard area. The courtyard looks like it would be great for weddings or outdoor space. The pool was huge and had life size chess. All of the staff we came into contact with in the hotel were fantastic, from the reception to the housekeepers who never let you pass without a friendly greeting. After a night out at Brendans Irish Pub the best part was the complimentary breakfast with waffles! When visiting Thousand Oaks we simply would not want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a Courtyard Room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hyatt Regency Westlake
#2 of 4 in Westlake Village
Courtyard Thousand Oaks Ventura County
Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village

Been to Palm Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!