“Very pleasant hotel just off highway between LA and Santa Barbara, near Malibu”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Thousand Oaks Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Thousand Oaks
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cartersville, Georgia
Reviewed April 10, 2011

We booked a room for a night here just as a stop-over en route from Santa Barbara to LA since we had an early flight from LAX. This was a nice location, not far from LA but outside the congested zone. The price was right, the rooms were quite nice, and the front desk staff exceedingly helpful. My son enjoyed the free DVD rentals. It's an older motel that's been remodeled; the old courtyard is rather strange with a gazebo lined with Christmas lights, but there is a small outdoor pool near reception. The breakfast was waffles and breads (no hot dishes). Overall, a more than adequate stopping point just off the Hwy 101. Free parking.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank worldtraveler012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I was staying at this hotel on Business and arrived late in the evening. Front desk staff very friendly upon check in and walked me through everything that was available to me at the hotel. Checked in room....Very spacious and meticulously clean. Bed was amazing and slept great. The hotel is right by an outdoor mall and I enjoyed walking around looking at the shops and various eateries. Another great plus? You get free use of Gold's Gym. The lounge had great service and Tapas. When in town again, I will definetly stay here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank thebooj
Southington, Connecticut
Reviewed January 27, 2011

This hotel was the third and last hotel of our 10 day trip. It was in a nice area, close to shopping and dining. There is a Borders book store next store, which was nice to pick up some books for the flight home. We ate at the TGIF nearby and also a Pizza place.
Hotel was clean and had a very nice courtyard. Newer furnishings, although the bed felt like it took up the whole room.
Breakfast was typical orange juice, coffee and bagels which ran out pretty quick.
Front desk staff was very nice and had free cookies!!
Pool was clean, a little chilly but refreshing. No problems overall, except I was a smoker, and the town of Thousand Oaks does not allow smoking in public... strange I know, but I found ways around it. The restaurant owner down the street told us you can get a ticket from a police officer if you are found smoking on the street. O well!
We visited LA and Hollywood's attractions while staying here, which was about an hour drive.
You must drive route 23 to get to the coast. Awesome views and VERY curvy roads. Also take a drive to Mt Wilson if you want to see some spectacular views.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Cerritos, California
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This is, without question, the nicest Best Western I have ever stayed in. I just spent one night at the Thousand Oaks Inn on Friday, and I was very satisfied with the experience. Overall, it exceeded my expectations, and I would highly recommend the place.

There are basically two components in any hotel experience: 1. the physical setting, including the room, the amenities and food offered, and 2. the service. On both counts, Thousand Oaks Inn (TOI) rates the highest for the category it belongs to. (Of course, if I were offered a choice between a complimentary stay at the Four Seasons or TOI, I would jump at the former any day, but that would not be comparing apples to apples).

I would say the staff was friendly, professional, and very helpful. When I checked in late at night, shortly before 11PM, the receptionist on duty still seemed energetic and comforting. He called the bar to see if they had any food or drink for me before they closed for the night, although I did not really take up the offer. In the morning, the staff was able to answer all of my questions about the surrounding area.

In terms of the actual room, I would say it was spacious, comfortable, clean, and relatively new. There were many fine touches. The lamps, for one, were all in warm earth tone shades. The high-quality shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, and even the shower cap (as well as their packaging) were made of bio-degradable materials. And I see another reviewer pointed out that the shower head was oversized. That was certainly nice, and it must give guests the feeling that this was overall a hotel classier than its brand name would suggest. (Even their public urinals were waterfree, suggesting a lot of thought was put in to reduce waste and be kind to the environment). I would definitely consider staying here the next time I have business in the area.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
West Yellowstone
Reviewed November 15, 2010

We stayed here two nights because we were visiting friends in Thousand Oaks.
The rooms seem to have been recently renovated. It was definitely the best bed we slept in the whole trip.
Breakfast was adequate, but we noticed less variety on Monday morning than on Sunday.
Also, we needed to get vouchers for breakfast, but no one mentioned that when we checked in, or on Sunday morning. We arrived for breakfast Monday, and the attendant was very insistent that we go get our vouchers! No problem, just let us know, or provide them on check in...
Although we had a room facing the freeway, the noise was not noticable with the fan on. I suspect if we had opened the door onto the tiny balcony it would have been much noisier.
also, the 'eco friendly' soap was kind of icky...
But all in all, great place!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank patit
Skien, Norway
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Thousand Oaks is a small town outside Los Angeles about 1 hour drive west
Near Highway Ventura 101 and near shopingmall with god reasturant
The minus is breakfast,they say it is a buffe but is not it is very simpel breakfast and you can not order any thing els.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JCB2010190490
Reviewed October 5, 2010

After staying sometime and paying, I was blocked after 3 x authorization on my card with credit available. They still harassed me more where I needed police and said I couldn't stay unless I still paid cash even after guy admitted earlier after I called card I did have credit. It took police to get back in room. Further they do not honor rewards and twist billing after the fact, like not showing all authorized charges and posts paid. Watch your back. They care until their sick child side takes over and their menial lives go on a power triip to bully innocent paying customers holding them prisoner at front desk when they've paid and just wanted to get into bed.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Cypresssea
TOINN, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Thousand Oaks Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
This guest was a long-term guest that had lost her residence and continuously had difficulty with paying for her room before she left. We do wish this guest well and will continue to offer our assistance. Unfortunately, we cannot just give out free rooms. We did give the guest a reduced rate and provided her with several free nights from the hotel, in addition to Best Western Rewards points. She also contacted Best Western Rewards, Best Western Customer Care, and the President's office for Best Western for assistance with more free nights. Everyone did what could to help her in her difficult situation and circumstances, including providing alternative living arrangements, such as a moving her to a less expensive hotel or motel nearby. In the end, though, we are a business, and although we support and sponsor several local charities with both cash, in-kind donations, and supplies to homeless shelters, we are unable to provide long-term free stays for everyone. On her last night, she called the police to force us to let her stay, but unfortunately, they told her that she had to pay. The next morning she called the police again, at which time, the police encouraged her to check out of the hotel on her own.

Putting people and families out on the street is the most difficult and heart-wrenching part of this profession and industry. Our hearts and prayers do go out to this guest and all of those people around the country and world, who are struggling in these tough economic times. We wish her the best and hope she will find stability and permanent home soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thousand Oaks
Courtyard Thousand Oaks Ventura County
Hyatt Regency Westlake
Hyatt Regency Westlake
#2 of 4 in Westlake Village

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Thousand Oaks Inn? Share your experiences!