“Just fine - great value, great breakfast, and very helpful staff”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks Newbury Park
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Thousand Oaks
Reviewed September 11, 2010

We booked this on Hotwire, sight unseen and hotel name unknown, and I have to say I was really worried after the room was confirmed and I read the many negative reviews on tripadvisor regarding the property. After staying there two nights, I vowed when I got home to write a positive review to hopefully relieve other travellers of their worry.

This is a great little hotel. The location is nice, right off 101. Having booked it on Hotwire, I was concerned that we might be given the less satisfactory rooms. Both rooms were nice, but one did seem to have a smoky odor despite the non-smoking policy of the hotel. The desk could not have been more helpful, apologizing profusely, and offering us two more rooms to look at and make our choice.

The rooms are cozy and while not very bright, they are furnished quite nicely and the rooms looked very newly renovated to me. I saw no signs of mold or dirt, no uncleaned corners of the room, fresh linens - everything was great.

The workout room was OK. One of the machines didn't seem to be operating properly, but otherwise, the room was clean and the other machines worked just fine.

The breakfast was a feast. Make-your-own waffles, yogurt, fruit, bagels, toast, hard boiled eggs, orange juice, hot cocoa, coffee, tea, two different kinds of cereal.

I gave this hotel 5 stars. No, it wasn't luxurious or the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at, but for what we paid ($65 on Hotwire), we got more than our money's worth. It was clean with well-appointed rooms, an extensive breakfast, and a really friendly and helpful staff. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks Newbury Park

Reviewed September 9, 2010

I worried about booking here bc it was ranked so poorly on TripAdvisor. My partner works in Thousand Oaks and until we move to Ventura, we're spending a night a week here to cut down on his commute from SB. So I figured, we'll suck it up and stay a night to try it out because it's $85 a night instead of the $149 a neighboring hotel charges and I can get a few rewards points.

It was just fine! Nice pool, comfy room, very quiet in spite of freeway, decent free breakfast (hard boiled eggs too), and the fridge/microwave were a good bonus. It is an older hotel, and a bit dated in the outside areas (it looks like a 70s kind of building), but overall we are very happy and the inside of the room was pretty. We are staying here again this week and feel that it is a great value for the area.

If the rooms are a little musty, it is probably because the windows are sealed to cut down on freeway noise. We propped the door open for a few minutes (it is totally safe) and got some fresh air that way. The workout room was small but had 2 treadmills that worked fine. It's not perfect but honestly I have no idea why anyone would say this was such a terrible hotel.

In addition, I have a hard time sleeping in strange hotels, and I slept very peacefully here, most likely because of the quiet.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Our room was small and narrow; and the carpeting was filthy! Lots of stains, felt dirty to walk on. The tub, toilet and bathroom floor had hair in it; and the carpet near the sink was wet. The room itself had a slight mildew smell! When we tried to contact the front desk, we discovered that the phones in the room did not work; so we had to call them on our cell phone. It took housekeeping over half an hour to come up. The in room coffee was the worst; the complementary breakfast not much better. This La Quinta was a real disappointment as we have stayed in much nicer La Quintas.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2010

The room looked o.k. upon checking in. After we were there a few hours, we started noticing things: a bottle cap on the floor beside the bed, an old receipt also beside the bed, an unknown bit of food on the "shelf" underneath the TV. There was dirt and crud in behind the bathroom door and floor tiles were not clean. When we moved the bedspread, a cigarette was on the floor. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2009

I have stayed in La Quintas that I liked a lot. This one, while the rooms were updated, just seemed tired and old. It wasn't cleaned well. We heard highway traffic all night and heard people outside the door (very loud) both at night and in the morning. We cut our stay short and ended up staying at another hotel. It was affordable, though, and the staff was nice.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2009

My 21 year old son and I stayed at the La Quinta Inn in Thousand Oaks for two nights in mid October of 2009 We combined a college trip to Cal State Channel Islands with a visit to the Ronald Reagan Library (a project for his US History class). I very much enjoyed this three star hotel: large bathroom with a tub (yes, I am one of the few people who travel who love to lounge in a large hotel tub!), microwave, empty mini-fridge, iron, hair dryer, easy freeway access, and a great fan to drown out noise from the nearby 101. No flat screen TV and Wi Fi is in the lobby, but those features are not important to me. The breakfast was adequate, certainly a value that came with a room price of $80 a night. Note: if you come in later in the evening, the restaurants and grocery store are open on Moorpark Road, not Thousand Oaks Boulevard. Nearby restaurants on Moorpark Road include El Torito and Mimi's Cafe along with several fast food places (El Pollo Loco and Jack in the Box). There is a Whole Foods Market on the right hand side about three lights up from the hotel area.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed October 31, 2009

Very clean and pleasant surroundings. Close to the highway without the noice. Best rate for the area and a good continnental breakfast,

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business