La Quinta Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks Newbury Park
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Thousand Oaks
Cedarville
“CA-Business”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Check In took an unusually long time. Property is spread over multiple levels with limited elevator access. It took time and several attempts to find a parking space where one could find their room. No map of property was provided by hotel staff. Compared to a Holiday inn or Hampton inn, this hotel is falls short in all categories. It is an older property with outdated bathroom facilities and beds. The cooling system was very noisey and did not allow a night of full sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This LQ has been recently updated. New carpet, beds, and towels. Was very pleased with my stay with my two dogs. Even though my room was pet friendly I observed no smell and the room was spotless. Only drawback was the lack of dining options at this exit, but a Chilis is about a two minute drive away.
I am always amazed to read negative reviews of this chain where people complain about dog odor and barking.....the entire chain is pet friendly! If you are in the LA area and traveling with your pet (or not) this place is great!

Room Tip: The back parking lot has a nice, safe dog walking area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I joined the La Quinta Returns program solely based on the fact that dogs stay FREE at all LQs. I have a 10lb Maltese/Poodle/Bichon son so this was very important to me. To keep it simple, the hotel itself was nice and clean with a lot of included amenities other places nickel-and-dime you for. Fridge, microwave, flat screen TV, free breakfast (although it was meager and we didn't want anything we saw. Wish they had waffles and sausage), free wifi, dog area (but bag dispenser was empty the entire stay), pool and jacuzzi. Front desk staff was not overly-nice nor rude. Just sort of "at work". Our room wasn't ready, even though we came well after check-in, so we sat in the lobby for 15mins. Finally get to our room and it's clean, the bed is comfortable, and there are pink panties hanging from our shower curtain. Wait, what? Panties? Yeah. Panties. Awkward turtle moment. Also, the fridge was so cold it froze my dog's wet food. The fridge, not the freezer compartment. I couldn't find the dial to change the temp so I just dealt. Rather have a cold fridge than a broken one, right?

Overall the stay was good and for the price it really can't be beat. We took the 30min drive down to Malibu, went to a local theater to see Fast 6, ate at a local Chili's...everything went smooth. Dog enjoyed the premises. No barking noise or anything. So aside from panties, great stay. Will return.

• Stayed May 2013
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 21, 2013

For a relatively budget hotel, La Quinta rarely disappoints. This location is no exception. The service was great. The room was quiet and clean, with a phenomenal air conditioner. My room had a nice flat-screen tv and a shower with good water pressure. There was a large pool, but I didn't use it. Breakfast was a bit spartan, but served its purpose.

Parking is easy, and the hotel is close to the freeway and across the street from a gas station.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 20, 2013

To be honest, I wasn't happy with our stay. I rented 2 rooms and we had problems in both rooms. In one of the rooms (Kathy Agueda's room), the room was not clean and had a horrific odor. It smelled like a dirty, wet dog smoking. really bad. They changed rooms and gave them a room with only 1 bed... not what we had requested. On the third room, they finally had something that was passable. But in the middle of the night, someone entered the room with a key... the hotel issued her room to another person... not good.

In our room, the first room was filthy. I opened the drawer to the nightstand and it was filled with trash and cig. ashes. Room didn't smell very good either. This was so bad, I took pictures and showed them to the night clerk. He was surprised and issued us another room. He was very good. The new room was better, but still wasn't very clean ... trash on the floor, hair in the bathtub, etc. If this was my only experience with La Quinta hotels, I would never return.

This is a pet friendly hotel... which is why I heard dogs barking (a lot) in the morning. It is a good thing I didn't want to sleep in.

I mentioned this to the lady that checked us out in the morning and she lacked something very important to a hotel clerk - personality. She acted as if she could care less and was even less helpful in trying to resolve it. I wanted to speak to a manager and was given very little assistance in how I could reach someone. I then wanted to get corporates number - again, no help.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the hotel, but it seems that is it much broader than a single mistake. What is needed? I'm not sure but training and accountability would be good place to start.

I hadn't planned on posting this, but I fear for the next traveler that pays this high of price for this low of quality. I rarely speak poorly of places I stay, but I will gladly pay a few dollars more for a better stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends