“Better experience this time.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks Newbury Park
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Thousand Oaks
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My last visit here was in 2007 and my general impression was that its was just an OK hotel. My recent visit was a nicer experience. The room was clean and well maintained. The room had 2 queen beds but did not feel cramped at all. They provided items that I've learned to not aways expect from hotels in this price range such as a refrigerator and a full sized ironing board. But surprisingly they didn't provide any drinking glasses... only a single styrofoam cup. They have upgraded the TVs to nice big flat panels. Last time the breakfast was pretty limited but this time there seemed to be a wider variety of item such as cereal, bagels, muffins, toast, waffles, fruit, yogurt, juices, and eggs (just hard boiled, not fried unfortunately). Friendly staff. Nice pool. Overall, nothing really to complain about so I recommend it to anyone passing through town or visiting the area.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the pool... good if you have children. Other rooms face the parking lot... good if...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks Newbury Park

A TripAdvisor Member
Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA
Reviewed April 11, 2013

great room, great price, quite and very nice staff, great location and overall great stay TJB. close to food, easy access to freeway, short drive to Calabasas, and Westlake. near shopping, rooms were up to date. clean carpet, nice TV and bathroom was clean and easy, beds were clean and comfortable, room for everything TJB/OKC

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Very friendly and clean; will return with no hesitations. The price was a huge factor, which made it possible to make this trip to join family for a special occasion. We were very impressed with the staff! And the breakfasts had variety and everything was fresh and clean!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a clean family oriented motel. The spa was clean & hot, as was the continental breakfast. We did an early check in & they were most accommodating. We have stayed here before and will again. Be sure to mention AAA or whatever discounts you might have as it saved us $10/ night

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed for three nights in the end of March. Our house was being fumigated, so we researched the area and discovered that our dog could stay for free - a huge plus. We had three teenage kids with us, so they allowed us to stay in a suite on the third floor overlooking the pool and jacuzzi. The bedstand lights did not work in the master bedroom, but other than that, the room was clean and comfortable, and the bed was very comfortable (a cal king I believe - very large).
The flatscreen tv had 36 channels including Showtime. The picture quality was very good. They even have a white noise feature that is an ocean wave, a field or a stream - I thought that was very unique. We brought our DVD player and rented a movie from redbox each night to entertain the family. The kids stayed in the second room, which contained a sleeper couch (it was not very comfortable with a thin mattress and the springs were coming through - at least according to my 6 foot tall 17 year old son who slept there). We brought two camping cots from home and my two girls slept on those. There was a second flat screen tv in the living room, as well as a mini fridge and a microwave. The bathrooms (one in each room - which is nice) had tubs with showers, as well as a sink, coffee maker and blow dryer.
We used the hot tub all three nights. The second morning it appeared to be broken and we could not use it in the morning, but they fixed it. The pool area is clean and was very pleasant.
The first night we were there the police were called to a domestic. The second night we were there I was exhausted and went to bed at 10:15 p.m. I immediately fell asleep, only to be woken up by the front desk telephoning to let me know that a neighboring room had complained of noise in my room at 11:20. This is the reason that I gave this 3 stars instead of 4. There was no excessive noise coming from our room. I was asleep. It must have been coming from another room. I was angry to be woken up. It seems like a basic concept that the front desk would do an investigation to determine where the noise, if there was any, was coming from before placing calls to guests at 11:20 p.m. The whole point of going to a decent hotel is to get a decent night's sleep - and once woken up one hour into my sleep, I did not go back to sleep for hours.
The last day went by without incident. I never heard noise from any other rooms. I would recommend asking for a room on the third floor - you can't hear any noise anywhere else (although we always use our IPAD for white noise to ensure a good night's sleep).
They have a breakfast buffet that is included in the price. It includes yogurt, bagels, toast, juice, coffee, cereal, limited fruit and interestingly enough - a waffle maker. They have a liquid waffle mix and you pour it into the hot waffle maker. The automatic timer then beeps when your waffle is done and - fresh Belgium waffle. They have maple syrup and artificial butter. My kids really liked it.
The parking is plentiful and free. We took all three of our cars (since we were temporarily relocating due to the termite tenting).
Another interesting fact is that there are many people who live there year round. I am not sure why, but there were many older permanent residents. And yes, there are A LOT of dogs, but none created a real problem. We heard occasional barking, but not at night.
Overall, a good value, in a safe neighborhood. Again, but for waking me up for no reason, I would have given it 4 stars.

Room Tip: Select a room on the third floor overlooking the pool. I think that is the best view, is safest (be...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel is pretty new and is a no frills location, but you do get a mini-fridge an microwave in each room. The rooms are a little tight with very little room to move around, but they are really just a place to sleep anyway. The one problem that I have is that they allow pets, which for most people is not an issue. I however had a bad allergic reaction to the room and was wheezing immediately and my eye swelled shut. I am not sure they do a really thorough cleaning to get out excess pet dander. If you have tough pet allergies you may want to steer clear.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family