“Excellent all the way around!”

Mastro's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Mastro's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 220 Restaurants in Thousand Oaks
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: S Conejo School Rd
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My first time here and it won't be my last! Raymond, our waiter was AMAZING - with wonderful suggestions. Started with a "bubbling" Lemon Drop, Tuna Tartar, then to incredible Rack of Lamb with cream spinach, cream corn and almond green beans...with a solo Profiterole for dessert. The portions are HUGE (yes, we had a bag with enough for two more meals to take home!). Had heard this place was comparied to Ruth's Chris, well Mastro's is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above that place in every single way...!!! If you want attention to detail in flavor, presentation, service and experience this is the PLACE! Highest marks in every aspect!!!!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

The sea bass is to die for!!!!! The service is quick and very professional. Prices are very high but worth each penny. Great for and great atmosphere!!!! It is a must for a special event!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I love trying new restaurants. This was one of the best steakhouses we have eaten at. The service was amazing. Atmosphere was terrific and cozy. We both had the steak which was to die for. My husband had the New York and I had the Filet. We didn't eat a bad thing. The side dishes were perfect and the bread basket was very delightful. We had the mushrooms and asparagus. Great wine and beverage selection to pair with your meal. My husband said the Malbec was wonderful.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The atmosphere at Mastro's is perfect for a romantic evening, a special celebration, or just to enjoy a nice evening. The quality of food is excellent and the service is just perfect. We love their seafood tower, which you get to pick and choose from many wonderful delights. Love their bone marrow, who needs butter with this one! The steak is always perfectly cooked to order and extremely tender. Love their creamed spinach and lobster mashed potatoes. Absolutely a must!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have had the pleasure of dining at this restaruant a few times now, and it truly never disappoints. From the moment you make your reservation, to the follow up call the following day, thanking you for joining them...it truly is first class all the way.

Ok, for starters, you have to try the Hennesy Sidecar Martini. Yes, they are $14 a piece, but they bring you the whole shaker and it's 2 full martini pours....so worth it! I feel like this should be their signature drink. If that style of drink isn't your speed, try the Strawberry Martini, also very delicious!

Lobster Bisque...hands down the BEST I have ever had. It actually has meaty chunks of lobster in it, like it should. I know, you would expect that to always be the case, but I assure you it's not. It's a huge bowl though, so you can totally share it with someone.

Oh!! I almost forgot about the bread they bring you...the Preztel Bread that's in the basket is OUT OF THIS WORLD. I know, it sounds so simple, but it's always warm and the perfect porportion of salty...mmmm with butter...omg. Amazing. I don't even bother with the rest of the bread in there because this one is so special.

Ok, entrees...I am a creature of habit and always get the petite filet...medium rare...and it's served on a sizzling hot plate, prepared with butter and delicious spices. Always prepared perfectly. My husband has also had the filet, but has tried the bone in Kansas city and said that was delicious as well.

Sides...do not leave here without trying the Gorgonzola Mac and Cheese. It would be a sin if you did. All of their sides are very good, but this...there are no words to describe the absolutely heavenliness (I know, I made that word up, but it fits here) of this side dish.

Finally, for dessert...they have the standard steakhouse-type sweets..creme brulee, apertifs, chocolate cake etc....but...I am telling you, you MUST get the Butter Cake. At least once. To say you have had it. But, I assure you, you will never order anything else for dessert from here if you do. You may even find yourself craving it radomly and call in a take out order just for butter cake....just saying, it could happen. Not that I would know from experience or anything ;)

The servie here is truly top notch. The hostesses, the bartenders, the servers, the assistants...it's all a well oiled machine. You never want for anything, as they truly anticipate your needs. And they should. Especially at this premium. But, for a special night out once in a while, it's completely worth it. We have yet to have a bad experience here, but I imagine if we ever did, it would be addressed and taken care of immediately.

Considering there aren't many gourmet/fine dining options in Ventura County, I feel you should try this place at least once. To have a place like this without having to drive into LA is a real treat. And if you appreciate not only a fine meal, but excellent customer service, than it would be sad for you not to try it.

Parking Tip: Yes, the only lot in for the restaruant is Valet. So, if that is something that isn't your cup of tea, park in the lot next door and walk the 100 yards over. It's a PepBoys. We do it all the time and never have an issue.