“Fabulous Food and Outstanding Service...Every Time”

Mastro's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Mastro's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 225 Restaurants in Thousand Oaks
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: S Conejo School Rd
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have had the pleasure of dining at this restaruant a few times now, and it truly never disappoints. From the moment you make your reservation, to the follow up call the following day, thanking you for joining them...it truly is first class all the way.

Ok, for starters, you have to try the Hennesy Sidecar Martini. Yes, they are $14 a piece, but they bring you the whole shaker and it's 2 full martini pours....so worth it! I feel like this should be their signature drink. If that style of drink isn't your speed, try the Strawberry Martini, also very delicious!

Lobster Bisque...hands down the BEST I have ever had. It actually has meaty chunks of lobster in it, like it should. I know, you would expect that to always be the case, but I assure you it's not. It's a huge bowl though, so you can totally share it with someone.

Oh!! I almost forgot about the bread they bring you...the Preztel Bread that's in the basket is OUT OF THIS WORLD. I know, it sounds so simple, but it's always warm and the perfect porportion of salty...mmmm with butter...omg. Amazing. I don't even bother with the rest of the bread in there because this one is so special.

Ok, entrees...I am a creature of habit and always get the petite filet...medium rare...and it's served on a sizzling hot plate, prepared with butter and delicious spices. Always prepared perfectly. My husband has also had the filet, but has tried the bone in Kansas city and said that was delicious as well.

Sides...do not leave here without trying the Gorgonzola Mac and Cheese. It would be a sin if you did. All of their sides are very good, but this...there are no words to describe the absolutely heavenliness (I know, I made that word up, but it fits here) of this side dish.

Finally, for dessert...they have the standard steakhouse-type sweets..creme brulee, apertifs, chocolate cake etc....but...I am telling you, you MUST get the Butter Cake. At least once. To say you have had it. But, I assure you, you will never order anything else for dessert from here if you do. You may even find yourself craving it radomly and call in a take out order just for butter cake....just saying, it could happen. Not that I would know from experience or anything ;)

The servie here is truly top notch. The hostesses, the bartenders, the servers, the assistants...it's all a well oiled machine. You never want for anything, as they truly anticipate your needs. And they should. Especially at this premium. But, for a special night out once in a while, it's completely worth it. We have yet to have a bad experience here, but I imagine if we ever did, it would be addressed and taken care of immediately.

Considering there aren't many gourmet/fine dining options in Ventura County, I feel you should try this place at least once. To have a place like this without having to drive into LA is a real treat. And if you appreciate not only a fine meal, but excellent customer service, than it would be sad for you not to try it.

Parking Tip: Yes, the only lot in for the restaruant is Valet. So, if that is something that isn't your cup of tea, park in the lot next door and walk the 100 yards over. It's a PepBoys. We do it all the time and never have an issue.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The ad looked great, but upon arrival, we almost left! There is minimal parking & when I entered the tiny lot looking for a spot - we were literally chased down & told it was $4.50 to allow the valet to park ur car. I didn't want any of them to drive my car & offered to pay to park my own & was DENIED!! I decided to search for street parking & although I'm partially handicapped, I had to walk a city block! Once we went inside, it was quite nice, were seating after just a couple minutes, & had a very knowledgeable & helpful waitress. Each of us chose a different item & shared a taste....my review?....IF you ignore the frustrations of lack of parking & get inside, you will LOVE the food - the service - & the ambiance of Mastro's restaurant! We are from out of town, & wanted something special to visit with some friends....beyond the parking - we found it! Filet was unbelievable, the special was Mahi Mahi & it was done to perfection, & the rack of lamb was unbelievable! A large portion, done to perfection, & very tasty! :}

1  Thank tcb108lady
Reviewed January 30, 2013

First let me clarify that I am not a meat eater-BUT let me also state that Mastro's is much more than just amazing steak (or so my fellow dining companions tell me).Let's start with the fact that it's a pretty classy joint : ) You make a reservation,show up ,valet parking whisks your vehicle away then off you go into an East coast dining experience.Greeted up front by well dressed hosts,they escort you to your table.In this particular Mastro's,there are many dining areas to choose from-the Piano Lounge (yes-live piano usually accompaning a halfway decent singer) is up front ,the Garden Room (personal favorite-a bit romantic),the Napa Room & the Mastro Room.
Being from California,where casual is king it's a refreshing change to dress up to have dinner when it's not a holiday.People do get a bit dolled up to dine here and this is rewarded with excellent service and high quality food.The waitstaff is made up of professional wait staff.By this I mean there are all over you like whi...well ...you know. No but really -they treat you like you are their one and only table and will readily answer any questions about any menu item and are happy to make suggestions.They also know their wines and pairings.If you have any food allergies they take it to heart-so expect the chef to come out & talk with you about your food preparation.
Let's talk food.This was among the list of items our table enjoyed.
(What I have ordered has *)
Seared Ahi
Asparagus - Steamed or Sautéed *
Mastro's Signature Warm Butter Cake *
Chocolate Sin Cake *
Crème Brulee *
various beverages were consumed : ()
It does not run cheap but it is well priced for the fresh selective cuts and well thought out dishes.
The warn butter cake is so ridiculously delicious-I have dreamed about it.

P.S. They have an extensive seafood selection~I mean it's over the top !

Reviewed January 26, 2013

i don't live in California but usually visit Mastro's once or twice a year when in Thousand Oaks area. Was disappointed with steak on my visit there last week. The server proudly noted they rubbed the steaks with 16 different dry ingredients. Unfortunately, the ingredient that I noticed was the salt. Way too salty. Two of my companion diners had similar reaction. Everything else was fine including the service, but my reaction to the steak impacted by experience. The atmosphere was quite bustling and bit noisy even for weekday night.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Love Mastro's in BH and its really the only one worth going to
This one does not have the ambience and the service is so so.
I always feels like they are rushing my out, but nobody is there.
For the very high cost its not worth it. The food is fantastic but take the drive to Beverly Hills