“Excellent Front Desk Staff”

Courtyard Thousand Oaks Ventura County
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Thousand Oaks
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Our stay at the Courtyard by Marriott was Excellent. The Front Desk Staff made us feel welcome right from the beginning. We checked in early at about 1 on a Wed. afternoon. The breakfast was a bit expensive but still very good. Great location and plenty of restaurants around the area. The Housekeeping staff was very friendly. The rooms were nice. The pillows were average, we had both the foam and down pillows. The beds were comfortable.- Ashley Smith

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Courtyard are the best.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
DonnaOntiveros, General Manager at Courtyard Thousand Oaks Ventura County, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we met your expectations. I will certainly pass your comments onto the staff, they get as excited reading 4 star reviews as much as I do. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Awesome hotel in a nice quite town very close to beaches and close to Los Angeles, but not so close that you are in the midst of LA's chaos. Better than the location was the staff and how friendly they were to us! They made us feel so welcome! Close to the resturants and Cronies sports bar is a must! Lots of big TVs. Overall a great travel experience I would most def. return to this Courtyard if I came back to the area and needed a hotel!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank j10jon
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Clean, Quiet, Recent Renovation - as expected for a Courtyard

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Beds: The beds are as hard as the floor. I had a shoulder injury one year ago and for the last three months, I have had no shoulder pain until last night. These beds are so hard, I felt my first shoulder pain in three months.

Anti-Hospitality: We arrived by 4pm for check in and, as a married couple, were given a room with two double beds. Since we are both tall, we had to sleep separately because a double bed just isn't a good night's sleep with two six foot persons. I called the front desk when we got into the room and was very tersely told "we are sold out and we can't do anything about the two beds."

How can the whole hotel be completely full by 4pm such that there was no way to switch our room for a king bed? I just don't believe it. I didn't hassle the front desk but I did say I would reflect my dissatisfaction in my review. As a result, I was given dirty looks by the young woman at the front desk the next three times I walked into the lobby. I haven't ever seen a front desk hotel attendant behave like that before.

Price Gouging: We needed a can of coke and went to the room entitled "ice and vending" only to find there was no vending machine in the room. THere was a hosted bar in the lobby that sold me a room temperature can of coke for $2.85.

They do offer a breakfast here. You can pay either $8.95 or $11.95 for breakfast. I'll pass. There are plenty of average priced restaurants surrounding the hotel.

Room Location: we did like the room location. We got a first floor room that happened to have a sliding glass door facing the entrance to the pool.

Room Decor: the decor was upscale and clean. Looks can be deceiving because the beds were horrible. There were only two chairs in the room and no sofa or real designated sitting area other than the desk.

I would not recommend this hotel to someone who wants a good night's sleep nor to a couple who is accustomed to sleeping in the same bed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank brenagain
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and as much as I appreciate the honesty, I certainly wish your experience was better. I won't belabor every point as I'm sure you are not looking for excuses but what I will say is, on behalf of my staff we owe you and your wife an apology. What you experienced is not typical of the type of service in which we pride ourselves. Our hotel Guest Satisfaction Scores are consistently in the 10% of Courtyards in the US. Needless to say, you caught us on a day we were not at our best, and that is never ok. I clearly have some training opportunities before me. One thing I would like to address is the firmness of your bed. I have heard this comment many times, some right here on Trip Advisor. The comments go both ways, sometimes the beds are too firm, sometimes the complaint is too soft. It all depends on personal preference, and once again we did not meet your expectations. If you would like to call me directly at 805 262-4101 I would be happy to discuss this further. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and give you the experience you expect from a Marriott hotel.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Stayed at the Courtyard for Cal Lutheran's graduation. Perfect place to stay. Near everything. Nice to have Chilies near by. Little bit pricy. Bed where too very hard. Pillows crappy.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
DonnaOntiveros, General Manager at Courtyard Thousand Oaks Ventura County, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our location and took advantage of the nearby diding. I am sorry to hear however that our mattress and pillows left a little to be desired. Since I am hopeful we will have the opportunity to welcome you back, please keep in mind we do offer foam pillows on request. Mattress firmness can be subjective, always lay down on the bed prior to unpacking. If the firmness/softness doesn't suit you call the front desk and request a different room. Your comfort is very important to us so we're happy to help however we can.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

This was a one night stay while passing through the area. Great rate and room.
Staff was courteous and helpful. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from elevator and ice maker
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Lived here a couple of times. Very polite staff. Close to the highway. cheap.

Room Tip: not the ones facing the highway
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Palm Garden Hotel
Palm Garden Hotel
#3 of 9 in Thousand Oaks
Quality Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks

Been to Courtyard Thousand Oaks Ventura County? Share your experiences!