“Hunan Style Chinese”
Review of Dong Ting Chun

Dong Ting Chun
Ranked #162 of 257 Restaurants in Thousand Oaks
Reviewed May 29, 2018

You can get vegetarian dishes in most of the Chinese restaurants easily. Dong Ting Spring does not have them on their menu, but very easy to order them. Dong Ting Spring is a Hunan style Chinese. I had a garlic saute vegetable and vegetable lo main. Both dishes are salty compared to other Chinese restaurants but they taste good. The service is good. If you don't know what to order, the menu here is just like the ones you see in China. The menu is full of pictures that are easy to pick from. There are several posters outside of the Chinese restaurants that showcase their signature dishes.

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed April 4, 2018

Stopped for a solo lunch - everyone eating or working here was Chinese, which I took as a good sign. My lunch was served fresh, hot, and tasty. I don't read or speak Chinese, so luckily the menu had lots of pictures!

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed March 22, 2018

Because of the very positive reviews of this Chinese Restaurant we decided to give it a try. We ordered Beef fried noodles, dumplings and a vegetable dish. They all turned out
pretty good and we were very pleased with the results.Just a few days later we revisited the restaurant but now with the expectations that we would have the same dining experience we had before. So we ordered the same dishes with the exceptions of the dumplings. As soon as the food arrived we dug in with gusto but received quite a shock on tasting the beef fried noodles. The beef appeared pale, was as tough as leather and lacked any flavor whatsoever. We immediately contacted our waitress who on being advised of the problem seemed to appear confused and did not seem to know what to do with all this. We then very politely asked her to redo the dish. On much discussion with her supervisor and maybe even the cook she finally appeared and took the offending dish away. About 5 minutes later she reappeared and allegedly brought as a freshly cooked new dish. On closer examination we saw that the meat had been removed, appeared to have been sliced into tiny pieces and then was served to us in that condition. We decided not to eat it. We were not given the choice of another dish to replace the one that we could not eat. They really should do better!

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed March 7, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant serves authentic Chinese food. The ambiance is mediocre but the food is good and priced reasonably. The servers don’t speak a lot of English but are friendly. I’ve ate here a few times during my business trips due to its close vicinity to the hotel I stayed. One thing I found missing was the business did not serve alcohol beverages

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed September 18, 2017

I have lived in TO for 10 years and cannot find a decent Chinese place except for the strip mall grease pits. Man, I, sometimes jones for something that tastes of China(town) and it gets bad, occasionally.
This is a branch of a San Gabriel Valley restaurant and they are cooking at a much higher level than anyone else in the area. It is a spare but clean 40 seat mall place but it is comfortable. The waitstaff is nice and helpful and the menu is broad with photos of the food for people who can no longer read- just point.
All dishes are well prepared and large.
I tried the noodles with veg and pork and found it tasty with lots of Veg. The vegetable offerings are done nicely and have plenty of sauce. I asked for some chili paste and a house made version appeared and it was good. The stir fry cabbage, especially good.
All the dishes were in the $12- $15 range.
So, when the need strikes, this is decent place to go for your Chinese fill-up.
chef