Tripadvisor
Thousand Oaks
Post
Inbox
Search

“My wife and I enjoyed our”

Moqueca Brazilian Restaurant
Order Online
Ranked #5 of 281 Restaurants in Thousand Oaks
Description: Moqueca Brazilian Cuisine serves the most appreciated dishes from the Coast of Brazilian rich cuisine, specially the Moqueca , that is the most famous dish from Vitoria, ES, the homeland of the its owners. It is known for its unique way of cooking and serving. The preparation consists in using a clay pot to cook the seafood and vegetables. The ingredients include the seafood itself , onions, tomatoes, garlic and coconut milk.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed our visit here in January 2020. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable, explaining the differences between dishes which we were unfamiliar with.

Crispy bread and tapenade were served as “on the house” appetizers and they had delicious marinated hot peppers to go with it. We could have filled up on these alone! We also had empanadas and were genuinely pretty full before our two entrees arrived.

Our entrees consisted of the fish stew which the restaurant known for and a black bean stew which is the Brazilian national dish. Each were excellent. The fish stew had a similar flavor profile to Thai Tom Yam soup though there’re are clearly some very different ingredients between the two. The black bean stew was smoky in flavor and had a lot of fresh toppings to add on top, including fried plantains.

Highly recommended

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (66)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I have been here many times. I almost alway begin with the scallop appetizer. It is very tasty and cooked moist and tender. My wife had the beef empanadas and cochinas. The cochnias are potato-wrapped around chicken. The sauce is a perfect combination.
I tried the fish special tonight. Dried fish with rice and shrimp and vegetables. It usually comes with plantains but I asked for mixed vegetables instead. Very tasty dish. The service is always attentive and very nice people.
Tatiana is the great chef and her husband runs the front.
The Moqueca (clay pot) stews are really wonderful. Pick the ingredients and you will be happy.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed January 11, 2020

Most Brazilian restaurants have meats; some have the silce-from-a-skewer show, which is always nice. Moqueca has steak, which we haven't tried yet, but its specialty is a set of seafood stews, from which the restaurant gets its name. These are outstanding and interesting. The restaurant is a family owned and feels like it (its partner restaurant is in Oxnard). The Thousand Oaks restaurant is fairly small restaurant and I would advise recommendations. They also feature Brazilian drinks called Cochaca. We enjoyed ours very much, but I recommend being cautious when ordering since they have "basic" versions and versions that are sweeter and more fruity. My wife and I happen to prefer the bad, which was excellent.

Service was excellent and staff enjoys and has pride in their restaurant.

We regarded the price as a bit painful but fair, since(seafood is inherently expensive these days.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 16, 2019

Went to this place on a Saturday evening. It was crowded and noisy. There were too many tables for the available floor space. The kitchen appeared to be overwhelmed and food and service were slow. When the food arrived it was very tasty.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 5, 2019

You might expect to find restaurant this great in LA or Santa Barbara, but in Thousand Oaks? Well, yes! It is in a small strip mall that looks like all the others along TO blvd, but don't drive by. The menu, drink selection, and service were outstanding. We went on a Saturday night and this small place was packed. I'd recommend a reservation for the weekend.

Date of visit: October 2019