“Loving La Fonda”

Ranked #5 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Loving La Fonda”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I adored this hotel. The history, the artwork, La Plazuela restaurant, the great shops attached to the building, the margaritas, the location, the rooms! Those perfectly appointed rooms on the renovated fifth floor, with a real wood burning fireplace stocked daily! The tile work is stunning, and that bathtub! Heaven. I appreciated having a fridge in the room. I also loved the "window shopping" displays in the lower hallway.

Because we were there during renovation, sadly the Bell Tower bar was closed, as was the pool. The huge disappointment however was that there wasn't a single location in the hotel where we could sit outside on a balcony and enjoy the great April weather. I located a balcony on the second floor, but they had it locked tight, a disservice to guests IMO.

I also thought the lounge was oddly located with bad feng shui. It was so dimly lit and in that odd interior space, it just wasn't a place we ever wanted to hang out, even with those fab margaritas and live music. Santa Fe begs you to go outdoors, so I hope their Bell Tower bar reopens soon.

If I had to sum it up in two words: romantic nostalgia.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to anything with a balcony, do so!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Turkish first
La Veta, Colorado
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the La Fonda for 2 nights in mid May. Starting with free
covered parking ( for guests) attached to the hotel, a real plus considering the parking situation in downtown Santa Fe. Follow that with customer service and satisfaction that may be hard to beat, from the room cleaning staff, to food service, front desk, concierge, and all the shops in the hotel, they all were polite and ready to make your stay a good one. The hotel is under renovation
so obviously there will be some noise, it was on and off all day, not that bad and you should be out seeing the sights anyway. We were given a newly renovated room on the 4th floor, walked in and felt comfortable right away, important for us when we're away from home, everything was
fresh and clean, great bathroom, comfortable beds. One hitch was that the TV was not upgraded
yet to rent and play movies so if you need movies bring an internet device. All in all could not have been more satisfied.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tom G
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed May 16, 2013

After having traveled the world, I come to my hometown to experience terrible guest service and not having received the amenities promised in The La Fonda Hotel advertisement. The property is under renovation, the pool is "scheduled" to re-open along with the hot tub in July, the hot tub is open in the La Terraza portion of the hotel, but without receiving a property map of the property at check in, good luck finding it! The bellman dropped my belongings from the parking area, breaking my things, my guests were told I was not checked in to the property. Heaven forbid an emergency would have occurred, the caller would have been told the same thing as were the incoming calls congratulating me on my son's graduation from college. The open gathering room which is an amenity on their suite floor, was locked so we were unable to receive my son's 86 year old grandmother, my son's great aunt's who are older than her, and my parents. The breakfast came incomplete without coffee or toast and lastly, the whole experience was a catastrophe from start to finish. This could have been remedied if the Manager on Duty with his upside down name tag would have been at least cordial in the matter, but he was condescending at best. I have never had an experience like this in my life. A room is supposed to be about the guest experience, even the smallest experience should be a memorable, pleasant experience, not one you go home and cry about and regret.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
15 Thank Camela T
LaFondaManager, General Manager at La Fonda on the Plaza, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
I sincerely apologize for your recent experience at La Fonda on the Plaza. Our guests are like gold; our goal is to treat you as such. We rely on our guests to let us know when ourservice or amenities fall short of expectations so that we can address issues promptly. La Fonda is in the midst of an extensive renovation of our historic property. When complete in August 2013, the hotel will offer all of the yesterday’s charms with today’s modern guest amenities. I hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again so that you may experience the true La Fonda on the Plaza.
Auburn, California
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed three nights. We were upgraded to a suite. It was on the 5th floor of their new wing. Simply gorgeous. The restaurants were excellent. The renovation didn't bother us at all. A more than pleasant place to call home for a few nights.

• Stayed May 2013
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I visited during La Fonda's renovation. Our check in went smoothly, and we went to our room. Unfortunately, the black-out curtains hadn't been installed. Not a huge deal, but we do find it difficult to sleep in a room that isn't very dark. We mentioned this to Dennis at the desk, and he immediately rectified the problem by moving us to a room that was perfect! The renovated rooms are very comfortable, stylish, and in keeping with the hotel's tradition of featuring local art in each room. While the renovation isn't yet complete, judging from the room, it will be a great success. As long as La Fonda has employees as thoughtful and responsive as Dennis, a stay here will be memorably enjoyable and pleasant!

Room Tip: Higher is better, and a balcony is a real treat!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Historic, excellent property. Stay here and walk to everything! You will see why it has such a rich history and so many famous people stayed here over the years. What was impressive was how many local people also gathered here. Be sure to eat at their main restaurant with the painted windows - their guacamole was made table-side and it's the best we've ever had! Several interesting shops too. We loved it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank L Y
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 14, 2013

La Fonda is Santa Fe, as I have often heard. Now I know why. This iconic hotel is located next to the Santa Fe Plaza, but somehow it is more the Plaza than the Plaza is. The real Plaza is just a greensward with the Palace of the Governors flanking it on one side. The lobby of La Fonda is the real meeting place in town where you come to be seen and to see and observe others--- either that or the Bell Tower Bar on the 5th floor. You can catch all sorts of interesting bits of conversation. You might meet anybody from your next door neighbor to a movie mogul. The lobby has at least three restaurants including The French Pastry Restaurant, La Plazuela, and a bar and grill where U.S. army operatives used to hide out during World War 2 looking for Russian undercover agents who came to Santa Fe to spy on Los Alamos. There are art galleries just like outside as well as clothing and handbag shops. It's like Santa Fe in miniature all under one roof.

Room Tip: I didn't stay here because it's not pet-friendly. Otherwise it's the only place to be in...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family